The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

A work around is require everyone to carry whatever it is they need. Will people do that? I'm not really convinced since I have yet to see people follow "walkers start in back".

Yeah but if you have this rule, you don't care what people do, you just don't offer anything.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A work around is require everyone to carry whatever it is they need. Will people do that? I'm not really convinced since I have yet to see people follow "walkers start in back".

I rely heavily on the aid stations, so this would be a large mark against a race that required that.  I imagine there would also be issues with designated areas for drop bag instead of aid stations, but then you need to get the drop bags to the area and then return them.  It probably wouldn't take long for any placement organization to be destroyed, then necessitating runners to hunt through the pile to find theirs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yeah but if you have this rule, you don't care what people do, you just don't offer anything.

True, but even if the races spell it out in 72 point red font and require multiple waivers saying you read & will follow, people won't do it. Then the race gets irate participants on social media because there was no water on the course and it was hot.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I rely heavily on the aid stations, so this would be a large mark against a race that required that.  I imagine there would also be issues with designated areas for drop bag instead of aid stations, but then you need to get the drop bags to the area and then return them.  It probably wouldn't take long for any placement organization to be destroyed, then necessitating runners to hunt through the pile to find theirs.

I wonder if you have to have a larger area? The one race that happened here had the packets spread out in physically distanced rows--so you could probably do the same with drop bags. Maybe they get sorted by race number. Then you probably need someone watching to make sure you only have so many runners in the area at one time.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Tomorrow, I have to start enforcing my county's mask ordinance in my store. I think it is absolutely the right thing, and my fellow employees have been wearing masks the whole time, but I am not looking forward to playing bouncer.

I cannot believe there are places in the country where you can walk around stores without a mask on, unless you live in a county with almost zero cases. These people who throw a hissy fit about telling them what to do and it's their right to shop (see that Florida man) are the same ones who think businesses should be able to discriminate for religious reasons and deny customers service.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I cannot believe there are places in the country where you can walk around stores without a mask on, unless you live in a county with almost zero cases. These people who throw a hissy fit about telling them what to do and it's their right to shop (see that Florida man) are the same ones who think businesses should be able to discriminate for religious reasons and deny customers service.

What point in life have we hit where discrimination is appropriate and almost to a point of being necessary to publicly shame individuals? "oh no you're not wearing a mask. I'm going to take a video and show all of the world." is now on par with police brutality videos, and almost surpassing it.

Aren't people who are positive for COVID 19 supposed to quarantine at home? If they're not going to follow the guidelines how are we ever going to get past this? I don't see a way forward if those who are actually spreading the disease aren't doing their part and if they're exempt from doing their part I am exempt from doing mine.

The last time I did a race packets were organized by the first initial of your last name. 26 lines. Double that up and you have 50 lines spaced apart, or do it on different days, OR just charge for mailing stuff to racers. Give people a colored wrist band and assign them an aid station by the color of their band. <sarcasm> Check to make sure their temperatures are 100.4 or lower when they come in to the aid station. Remove all runners with a temperature of 100.5 from the course. </sarcasm?> Make volunteers wear masks and gloves just like society wanted in April when touching stuff spread COVID 19. Oh and mandatory masks for runners. If you can't run with a mask on in summer heat then stay home. We're not trying to put on the olympics people. It's a marathon. It isn't THAT hard. An ultra might even be easier just because of how spread out runners become after 30 miles of exercise.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Aren't people who are positive for COVID 19 supposed to quarantine at home? If they're not going to follow the guidelines how are we ever going to get past this? I don't see a way forward if those who are actually spreading the disease aren't doing their part and if they're exempt from doing their part I am exempt from doing mine.

Yes. But everyone who has not tested positive should still act as if they might have it, because they might have it. You wear a mask not to protect yourself, but to protect others from you. Not wearing a mask just means you don't give a shit about other people. Seeing unmasked people shouldn't make you say "well I guess I don't need one either", it should make you more careful about avoiding or keeping distance from these people.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes. But everyone who has not tested positive should still act as if they might have it, because they might have it. You wear a mask not to protect yourself, but to protect others from you. Not wearing a mask just means you don't give a shit about other people. Seeing unmasked people shouldn't make you say "well I guess I don't need one either", it should make you more careful about avoiding or keeping distance from these people.

I guess no one in my area going outside gives a shit about people. Seeing unmasked people makes me say "wow apparently this COVID thing isn't as dangerous as we were lead to believe back in March and April when every kind of outdoor activity was forbidden and society kept saying we needed to stay home and stay safe. I guess now it's okay to go outside without a mask on and wear one under my nose when I go inside anywhere."

I disagree on why I wear a mask. I don't wear it to protect you from not catching something I don't have. I wear it because there is no going back to the way things were so I need to acclimate myself. Since antibodies don't give lasting resistance to COVID 19 I don't see how anyone is going to be able to justify being inside anywhere without a mask. Thankfully movie theaters will no longer smell of popcorn because it's not possible to eat popcorn at the movie theater while wearing a mask. Burning Man can happen though because out there you already wore a mask to protect yourself from the environment.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One thing that has not been emphasized nearly enough is that you wear a mask to shorten the duration of this damned pandemic.

rlopez

What point in life have we hit where discrimination is appropriate and almost to a point of being necessary to publicly shame individuals? "oh no you're not wearing a mask. I'm going to take a video and show all of the world."

Yes, wearing a mask definitely shoehorns right there with "discrimination".

This is not about protected classes of people. It's about a tiny piece of fabric. If you are deaf, I get it... although in my experience with deaf customers, that's usually more about needing me to take off my mask so they can read my lips. And 100% of my deaf clientele has been fine with masks..

If you truly have a medical need, then I can understand it - but you damn well better succinctly explain to me what your medical need IS if I ask you, because the chance that you are infecting my entire staff is big enough that I should be allowed to ask. The number of legit medical reasons is waaaaaay smaller than the number of people who just don't wanna. And people need to understand that if they are going to claim something, it really is ok for the shopkeeper to inquire. Not worth throwing down.

As for ""oh no you're not wearing a mask. I'm going to take a video and show all of the world." that is kind of bs hyperbole. That isn't how this is happening. The only ones getting posted are the people freaking the fuck out about it. And I don't much care. Freak out in my store for a legit reason, we can discuss it... quietly. Freak out in my store like these people in the videos are freaking out, and I will toss your ass.

HermosaBoy

Freak out in my store like these people in the videos are freaking out, and I will toss your ass.

Now that I want video of!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Now that I want video of!!!

Agreed. Will pay for CCTV copy.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes, wearing a mask definitely shoehorns right there with "discrimination".

This is not about protected classes of people. It's about a tiny piece of fabric. If you are deaf, I get it... although in my experience with deaf customers, that's usually more about needing me to take off my mask so they can read my lips. And 100% of my deaf clientele has been fine with masks..

If you truly have a medical need, then I can understand it - but you damn well better succinctly explain to me what your medical need IS if I ask you, because the chance that you are infecting my entire staff is big enough that I should be allowed to ask. The number of legit medical reasons is waaaaaay smaller than the number of people who just don't wanna. And people need to understand that if they are going to claim something, it really is ok for the shopkeeper to inquire. Not worth throwing down.

As for ""oh no you're not wearing a mask. I'm going to take a video and show all of the world." that is kind of bs hyperbole. That isn't how this is happening. The only ones getting posted are the people freaking the fuck out about it. And I don't much care. Freak out in my store for a legit reason, we can discuss it... quietly. Freak out in my store like these people in the videos are freaking out, and I will toss your ass.

It's about making society feel safe. This is more important than people's personal anything. AS long as the majority of America feels safe it doesn't matter what we do. 0.81% death rate in some areas and we're going to keep these mandatory masks and groups of 49 or less spaced 6 feet away. 99.2% of the population either gets it and recovers, or isn't infected and we need to make sure that less than 1% of society is protected. Attitude or not.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eh. We do security theater all the time in e US. When was the last time you were shoes through airport security, all because of one man doing one stupid tangled attempt to blow up a plane.

It's about making society feel safe. This is more important than people's personal anything. AS long as the majority of America feels safe it doesn't matter what we do. 0.81% death rate in some areas and we're going to keep these mandatory masks and groups of 49 or less spaced 6 feet away. 99.2% of the population either gets it and recovers, or isn't infected and we need to make sure that less than 1% of society is protected. Attitude or not.

nimble

One thing that has not been emphasized nearly enough is that you wear a mask to shorten the duration of this damned pandemic.

^^^ This