The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why? I’m done flying.

Dude, you really need precheck.  hahahahaha

rlopez

The skies will no longer be as friendly without you.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Masks don’t stop the spread of COVID 19

Apparently some parts of the world are cured from COVID 19 by limiting birthday celebrations. Wearing a mask except for when you’re eating or drinking isn’t enough. So I foresee a lot of “two parties of four and we would like to sit next to each other” happening. 

what on God’s green earth is wrong with a family of seven going out to dinner? Apparently having dinner at home without a mask will not cause a problem. Having it at a restaurant is going to keep covid spreading. This is why I wonder how helpful the masks are in preventing the spread of things. Why don’t we just limit all the social gatherings to less than 7 if it’s such a great cure for COVID NINETEEN PANDEMIC conditions? Seriously. The west coast is bonkers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You know how these days you cannot tell if something is a The Onion article, or really happened?

Yeah, that's how I feel about your posts . . . surely he's just feigning that he cannot make sense of things, right?

I'm going to go with that.  Here's the "LOL" maybe you're looking for.

LOL

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

an amazing likeness

We're being punked, fer sure.  And, good grief, who is the brave soul who subscribed to this calamity...wowza, that's taking one for the team.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You know how these days you cannot tell if something is a The Onion article, or really happened?

Yeah, that's how I feel about your posts . . . surely he's just feigning that he cannot make sense of things, right?

I'm going to go with that.  Here's the "LOL" maybe you're looking for.

LOL

Really happened. Restaurant can’t have a party of seven which screws a lot of families who might have birthdays coming up. I can’t understand how six people who don’t know each other can eat without spreading COVID, but seven can’t, and it’s only in a restaurant. Maybe I missed the part where New York City did this or Madison, WI saw a reduction when they limited restaurants to parties of 6. I recall plenty of restaurants in San Francisco saying 50% capacity wasn’t enough to justify opening due to the costs. I’m sure Atlanta wouldn’t have any problem with you and me meeting up and having dinner somewhere in town. Trent could come too. Maybe rlopez if he isn’t busy masking customers at his shop. You know, because parties of four won’t spread this covid thing we’re all supposed to be afraid of. Make sure to wear your mask on the plane if you fly and I hear connecting flights are EXTREMELY TIGHT in some locations.

it makes more sense to me to just close down all indoor activities where you remove your mask. 
              https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-surging-bars-indoor-dining-120043685.html

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/to-reopen-the-economy-close-the-bars.html

Not just limit it to a number of people. I’m no epidemiologist and I don’t plan on becoming one so I just don’t understand how the virus spreads at this point based on what I can and can’t do across America. Either close it all down and just hope people don’t walk around the grocery store with their mask covering their chin, or let it sort itself out naturally. Oh and gyms can stay open because they can somehow regulate people wearing masks, except when they want to drink or eat, much better than a bar or restaurant.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think a good addition to your understanding is that policies are risk mitigations, and risk is a sliding scale that as you move it to less risk, you have more onerous things that come with it.

Moving from 6 to 7 isn't "Safe" vs "Unsafe".  It's "Safer" vs "Less safe".  And since it's a gradient, you have to make decision on what risk is acceptable for a population (notice, i didn't say "individual").

Consider the Speed Limit.  65MPH is not a magical number.  66MPH isn't extremely more dangerous, and 65MPH isn't completely safe.  The same principle applies.  You could reduce traffic deaths to zero, if you capped the speedlimit to 10mph.  But similar to COVID policies, it would have a negative affect on the economy.

As pointed out earlier, policies can't really take into considering all the very reasonable exceptions that should be allowed.  So, sure, a family of 8 that lives together should have no problem dining together in public.  And 8 people who are roommates in the same house would be similar.  But it would make a difficult policy to enforce.  And as you already pointed out, we cannot trust people just be good citizens.

Anytime you disagree with a policy, you are basically saying: "the costs of this policy are not worth the amount of risk mitigation it provides."  Anytime you are arguing about a seemingly arbitrary delineation in a policy, you're just arguing about 65MPH vs 66MPH.  At which point you should probably support your argument with actuarial tables.

dhuffman63

Trails

Ah, the speed limit...I've noticed people don't understand the word LIMIT, as in 65 mph LIMIT means that's the top speed.  No some people think it's a suggestion and it's the same mentality about masks and the like.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ah, the speed limit...I've noticed people don't understand the word LIMIT, as in 65 mph LIMIT means that's the top speed.  No some people think it's a suggestion and it's the same mentality about masks and the like.

Some places even say the speed limit is what is safe for road conditions instead of the number on the sign. Things are weird out west. Can’t go 75 mph on the freeway when it’s raining or snowing.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

So the policy allows for plenty of other places to be open, and it’s only bars and restaurants with a party of 7 where you’re in danger of catching the virus we’re all afraid of. Yeah I can see how that is a logical choice and has nothing to do with masks being able to stop the spread or not. Conveniently they have to close when schools open and schools don’t require masks and aren’t doing temp checks, so what is the point of all this when it’s a case by case privileged basis of where you catch covid 19? Either masks and temp checks work, or they don’t. Just like seat belts.  Yeah they work when you wear them and it doesn’t matter what vehicle you’re wearing them in or what road you’re on.

I think a good addition to your understanding is that policies are risk mitigations, and risk is a sliding scale that as you move it to less risk, you have more onerous things that come with it.

Moving from 6 to 7 isn't "Safe" vs "Unsafe".  It's "Safer" vs "Less safe".  And since it's a gradient, you have to make decision on what risk is acceptable for a population (notice, i didn't say "individual").

Consider the Speed Limit.  65MPH is not a magical number.  66MPH isn't extremely more dangerous, and 65MPH isn't completely safe.  The same principle applies.  You could reduce traffic deaths to zero, if you capped the speedlimit to 10mph.  But similar to COVID policies, it would have a negative affect on the economy.

As pointed out earlier, policies can't really take into considering all the very reasonable exceptions that should be allowed.  So, sure, a family of 8 that lives together should have no problem dining together in public.  And 8 people who are roommates in the same house would be similar.  But it would make a difficult policy to enforce.  And as you already pointed out, we cannot trust people just be good citizens.

Anytime you disagree with a policy, you are basically saying: "the costs of this policy are not worth the amount of risk mitigation it provides."  Anytime you are arguing about a seemingly arbitrary delineation in a policy, you're just arguing about 65MPH vs 66MPH.  At which point you should probably support your argument with actuarial tables.

VDOT 53.37 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I cannot tell if you're intentionally obtuse, or just enjoy throwing together a word salad.  Either way, seems a waste of my time to continue.  Too bad.

Prince of Fatness

I cannot tell if you're intentionally obtuse, or just enjoy throwing together a word salad.

Not at it at all. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

never mind.

rlopez

I’m sure Atlanta wouldn’t have any problem with you and me meeting up and having dinner somewhere in town. Trent could come too. Maybe rlopez if he isn’t busy masking customers at his shop. You know, because parties of four won’t spread this covid thing we’re all supposed to be afraid of.

I'm not "masking" people in my store.

I'm enforcing my county's policy, which I am highly encouraged to do. Partly because it is a good thing, and partly because there is a (so far unnamed) penalty if I do not.

Really not sure how to read this guy's posts. I can't tell if he's pissed or just fucking with us or what the deal is. So I read them as if he's speaking like Boomhauer and it helps a lot.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well I want to thank Brew as this thread has been the most entertaining one in a while on this site.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)