The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

MoBramExam

There were, however, a number of drunk people... see line #1... and I did wind up helping to arrest 3 folks that week for D&D.

Makes you wonder why alcohol is permitted to be sold or consumed at an airport or on commercial flights? 

rlopez

The idea that people can load up and get into their cars has always been weird too. Heck, I'm in the alcohol business now and I can't really explain it. What I *will* say is that out of my 27 years, I only worked flights for a bit of that... 2001-2002 (very part-time; had another very good job), 2005-2009 (based in Hawai'i), 2009-2012 (based in Seattle), 2016 election week. In 7ish years, I think I had 3 punchy guys. I've broken up way more fights at our brewery's taproom or in my store's parking lot 2018-2020 than all of that. Most drunk and disorderly folks on flights, including all I dealt with in November 2016 were "just" loud, annoying, harassing, etc. Practically anyone super hammered winds up sleeping it off and/or yakking in the bathroom. Anyway, given the millions of miles I flew, 3 is... nothing. FWIW, a lot of confrontations are resolved by flight attendants. That job is very hard.

Speaking of, once upon a time, booze on international flights was FREE. No, there weren't more fights. But a lot more foul potties.

I know that *since* 2016, incidents of fighting and harassment have gone up a fair amount. I could state my ideas on why, but nah, I won't. Which dovetails into covid. Mask compliance on planes... which, well, there's a long conversation about whether planes are safe during this or not (narrator: they are not) is not as great as it could be because of all the maah freeeeedom folks.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good to see the covid discussion is still a protected class thread. . #CovidDiscussionsMatter

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

Good to see the covid discussion is still a protected class thread. . #CovidDiscussionsMatter

That last paragraph makes it relevant, friend. If you are this much of a fake lawyer in real life, you must be a real hoot at parties and the dmv.

Which, btw, when you combine the mask compliance protesters with people who seem to be more ready to throw down than they used to be,, it is a bad combo for the near future.

You have made your point, you know. I'm sure you will keep doing it because it is important to you for some damn reason, so go on.

"It's soccer, Greg. Soccer."

MoBramExam

...FWIW, a lot of confrontations are resolved by flight attendants. That job is very hard.

I know that *since* 2016, incidents of fighting and harassment have gone up a fair amount. I could state my ideas on why, but nah, I won't. Which dovetails into covid. Mask compliance on planes... which, well, there's a long conversation about whether planes are safe during this or not (narrator: they are not) is not as great as it could be because of all the maah freeeeedom folks.

RE: Mask Compliance & Miscellaneous Enforcement Authority

Folks in general often appear to have a fairly accurate grasp of their rights. Its an understanding of the application and enforcement of the law or the recognition of possible consequences stemming from exercising those rights that tends to cause many of the conflicts we are seeing.

1) When it comes to what we've turned the C19 debate into, by bombarding everyone with conflicting science, expert opinions, mitigation strategies, etc. you will get results that are highly predictable. (Let's please spare everyone the "lack of world/national guidance" comment and look a little closer to home.)

2) Overcoming cognitive-dissonance is a major challenge sober. With the prevalence of alcohol use, along with its interaction with any other legal / illegal recreational drugs or Rx cocktail, society's judgment and risk assessment cannot help but be significantly impaired.

3) Early on, we all but totally shut down a service based economy. Millions are pushed further to the edge with anxiety over their livelihood.

It's always frustrated me that law enforcement and others charged with enforcement, ones that make every attempt to execute their responsibility to a high standard, have to engage so many in an altered state of mind. How many "bad endings" have this component? And these are the pros.

Now, hand enforcement authority of a health order; i.e. many times a suggestion, over to flight attendants, waiters and waitresses, box-store door greeters, brown dudes at the liquor store, etc. and call it "problem fixed". Sound like the same playbook where the bureaucrats, bankers, politicians, or corporations start a war then hand guns to eighteen year-olds?

No answers to any problems...just a rant from flyover land.

rlopez

My curling league's fall sessions have been cancelled due to COVID. We'll wait until we can use outdoor ice in January. Also cutting down to one sweeper so we're not huffing and puffing on each other while sweeping. Seems reasonable.

If you only have one sweeper, does the whole thing still work? Does that sweeper have to sweep a lot harder?

an amazing likeness

If you only have one sweeper, does the whole thing still work? Does that sweeper have to sweep a lot harder?

Yes, sweeping single still impacts the stone's run distance and path. Just less...my observation is there's already a large variation of the impact of sweepers depending on the...let's call it vigor and strength...of the team's sweepers.  Also, in general, recreational once-a-week curling makes it hard to have a good feel for how much weight to give the stone when you release it -- that is how much energy & rotation to impart to have it take the desired path/distance - so sweeping is has less chance to impact the stone's ending point.

Economics comes into play as well -- ice time is expensive and trying for fewer teams on ice with fewer players per team to increase distancing makes it real spendy real quickly.

There were some 'super spreader' COVID events from curling matches in Canada early in the pandemic. Air in arenas and dedicated curling facilities is still, there's heavy breathing as teams yell instructions down the sheet, and close proximity among team members. Makes sense to just shut it down until we get COVID stuff sorted out.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ran a race in the Wild West with COVID 19 measures in place. We shall see how many cases we have using social distancing, masks, and gloves after this. I predict less than one because outdoor activities in many states are not subject to the requirements of COVID 19.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

Several more videos from the weekend of young, white, unmasked folks berating low pay retail cashiers and salesfolk about masks. Screaming at them. Banging on counters.

No matter how you feel about masks, stop being complete dicks to cashiers. That's all you are doing when you do this.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My sister is a vet who has been practicing this whole time in LA.  She said they've seen a real uptick in people being difficult about everything.  She refers to it as "Covid Crazy."

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My sister is a vet who has been practicing this whole time in LA.  She said they've seen a real uptick in people being difficult about everything.  She refers to it as "Covid Crazy."

We were in the middle of the Maine woods this weekend when we noticed a pickup truck stopped in the approaching lane of traffic.  It was odd, so we stopped and my husband asked the woman, "Do you need any help?"  Instead of saying, "No, thanks, I'm fine," she replied snarkily, "I'm trying to BACK UP TO TURN.  Just go!"  All righty, then.  I miss Texas.  Sad

rlopez

Oh yes, everyone is tense and pissed off and there are lots of times that folks are unkind to each other these days.

But the person who takes time out of their day to walk into a store specifically to yell at low-wage cashiers are a special kind of dickish. What's the endgame here? What's the point? It is a weird exercise of fake power. It's almost like it must be their initiation into Q or something. "You must go into this retail establishment and bully the employees while they film you... and then, ultimately leave."

Running Problem

Problem Child

Several more videos from the weekend of young, white, unmasked folks berating low pay retail cashiers and salesfolk about masks. Screaming at them. Banging on counters.

No matter how you feel about masks, stop being complete dicks to cashiers. That's all you are doing when you do this.

If only white people acted like civilized folks. This pre-dates COVID 19.

I wonder what pissed off THIS GUY. I'm sure those same low pay retail cashiers and sales folks were working at this point in time. At least the white people were just screaming and banging on counters due to COVID 19. Before people just destroyed the place when they were upset.

Can't we just go back to berating people for their kids acting up?

Without any sort of context it is hard to assume they're being a dick to someone for no reason.

I don't see why it is so important to focus on other people's behaviors. I can't control their behavior. I can only control mine. If they don't want to stay home during flu season I can't make them. If they want to catch COVID 19 I should let them. No one gives a shit when an educated person not considered "young" yells at me on the phone and calls me an idiot. Maybe I need to make a video about it and send it to the news so people will feel sorry for everyone who has ever been yelled at on the phone.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

Then again, with context, it is pretty obvious.

Most people would take my post and either ignore it or post "I agree, don't be mean to cashiers."

You went a different way with it.  Cool. Cool.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Then again, with context, it is pretty obvious.

Most people would take my post and either ignore it or post "I agree, don't be mean to cashiers."

You went a different way with it.  Cool. Cool.

I'm not the type to ignore it. You should know that by now. Maybe you shouldn't post things if you want it ignored.

Yes I pointed out times when people were a dick before COVID 19 for stupid reasons. Amazingly COVID 19 hasn't changed people being a dick.

VDOT 53.37