The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

True self awareness is a tricky thing.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Running Problem

Problem Child

True self awareness is a tricky thing.

Situational ethics make a lot of things tricky.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

Situational ethics make a lot of things tricky.

Or it doesn't. Some things are just things. And sometimes someone else can win just because that's ok and no big deal.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Without any sort of context it is hard to assume they're being a dick to someone for no reason.

I totally get it, man.

I mean, anybody would think it ok to call a Jew "Nazi" when the context is that Jew having politely asked folks to stick to topic on a free online message board. I mean, that kind of request is indeed "Concentration Camp" level stuff and deserves this kind of response. Context.

Yessir, context is super important. Thank goodness we have situational ethics. Kinda like a sliding scale.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I totally get it, man.

I mean, anybody would think it ok to call a Jew "Nazi" when the context is that Jew having politely asked folks to stick to topic on a free online message board. I mean, that kind of request is indeed "Concentration Camp" level stuff and deserves this kind of response. Context.

Yessir, context is super important. Thank goodness we have situational ethics. Kinda like a sliding scale.

Sliding scale? More like a moving target.

I'd say the concentration camp is putting everyone on lockdown because you have the power to and what they're doing bothers you. I'm not a history major so I don't know a lot about concentration camps other than if they existed they were in Europe or something like that.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd say that is a pretty accurate description of what it was like to be put in a concentration camp.

BTW, I adjusted your words to represent what happened. I know you believe that accurate representation is important.

I'd say the concentration camp is putting a free internet message board thread on lockdown because what people doing there lacks respect and goes against both the ToS and simple, polite requests from the website owner and moderators. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm not a history major so I don't know a lot about concentration camps other than if they existed they were in Europe or something like that.

First English usage of "Concentration Camps" was in South Africa, 1900, to sequester the families of white Boer guerrillas in order to maintain British rule.  They were moved from their disperse family farms and concentrated in tented villages.  The subtext was "yeah, keep fighting our soldiers from the shadows . . . we got your kids." [1]

Regardless of what AOC says, nobody today uses the term "Concentration Camps" without hyperbolic reference to the death camps of Nazi Germany, despite its denotation.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running Problem

Problem Child

BTW, I adjusted your words to represent what happened. I know you believe that accurate representation is important.

Hey as long as the story is based on how you remember it we're all good. Looks like you're pretty good with having all the power and controlling those without it.

stadjk sounds like the "projects" I heard about that were government assisted housing and started as a project. Concentrations of people forced into a life they'd not chosen to live. I don't pay much attention when AOC, or other politicians, speak since they're disconnected with reality and have lead a privileged life. Insert lots of examples where poor people became great politicians here. AOC....Grew up in a privately owned housing complex...worked as a bartender (during college?) then right after graduating Boston College got a job at the U.S. House of Representatives. Yeah I think she is disconnected which might explain why she says what she says about concentration camps.

on projects....

"Furthermore, housing projects have also been seen to greatly increase concentrated poverty in a community, leading to several negative externalities. Crime, drug usage, and educational under-performance are all widely associated with housing projects, particularly in urban areas."

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/05/new-york-citys-public-housing-crisis/393644/

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

It's a free message board.

Of course the mods have all the power.

That's the game. Lean into it, or don't. But following Jewish people (or any people, really) comparing your so-called mistreatment on a free message board to concentration camps and such... that's massively uncool and a weird false equivalency

Julia1971

Sliding scale? More like a moving target.

I'd say the concentration camp is putting everyone on lockdown because you have the power to and what they're doing bothers you. I'm not a history major so I don't know a lot about concentration camps other than if they existed they were in Europe or something like that.

Whatever point you were trying to make becomes completely lost when you start comparing content moderation to the greatest genocide in human history.

It's Eric's sandbox, not yours.  He gets to make the rules.  You don't like the rules?  Go play somewhere else or create your own forum.  It's that simple.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Whatever point you were trying to make becomes completely lost when you start comparing content moderation to the greatest genocide in human history.

It's Eric's sandbox, not yours.  He gets to make the rules.  You don't like the rules?  Go play somewhere else or create your own forum.  It's that simple.

I'm trying to understand this "concentration camp" he was telling me of. Not everyone is as educated as you are. I do find it interesting Trent chose to alter what I said when he quoted me.

I never said I didn't like the rules. All I said was something about the Terms of Service not being applied equally.

rlopez I never compared myself to Jewish people. I never said I was mistreated. All I said was the concentration camp was putting people in lockdown. Never said I was offended or mistreated or picked on due to my race/religion/sexual orientation/political beliefs/etc. You're like the meme of the guy at the table that says "change my mind" except it is impossible to change your mind. I guess I just can't win with you about how I feel or how I'm treated  and that's okay and no big deal to me now. Enjoy the alcohol sales and recovery.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have a 23-year-old relative whose birth father was hospitalized with COVID-19.  When I posted about someone seriously affected by the illness and that I don't understand why people don't take it seriously, she responded with basically, well, it's not bad for EVERYBODY.  Then she wrote, "I just can't let myself be paranoid about it, I just keep on living the life that I did before COVID."  People are NOT SMART (I won't use the "i" word since it offends some people).  She lives in Texas, by the way.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The world has quite a history when I had to actually think if the Holocaust was the worst genocide in US history. Technically, it's true. But man, Asia has a horrible history with this stuff (Russia/China/Japan in the 20th century all come to mind). Right now, the Chinese are getting away with a lot right now with Muslims in the west. Sad stuff.

Back on topic - Trent, will you get the vaccine the minute it comes out, given you're probably one of the first in line, or do you think there is any legitimacy to the questions around how quickly it's being developed?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am signed up as a volunteer for a phase III trail of the Moderna vaccine. Of course that means if they actually enroll me, I stand a 50:50 chance of getting the placebo. Alas. 

The speed of vaccine development does not worry me because it is not brand new vaccine technology coming de novo. In many ways, this is akin to the annual influenza vaccine which builds on known technology. I happen to work very closely with several virologists and immunologists who have been working on this technology for decades. So it’s pretty old and proven.