The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

While the trials may be set to run 24 months there are typically interim data readouts built in which would allow submission to the FDA quicker if....IF...robust efficacy is evident.  Interim readouts typically lack the full statistical power designed into the trial so the effect must be stronger than what would need to be seen at the end to call it a positive result.  Given the comments made about news yet this year, I expect there is some sort of interim readout.  But I haven't definitively seen it in the description of the trial.

It makes sense: the smaller your sample size, the wider your confidence interval is, so it makes sense they need stronger evidence earlier on than if they waited. The USA is still a disaster at 45K cases a day, so it feels like they should get their sample done quicker, although I have wondered whether there is anti-selection here and the people who sign up for vaccine trials are less likely to be exposed to the virus (e.g. they actually believe the virus is real and aren't walking around without masks on)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Moderna trial has a recruitment target of 30,000 subjects. Subjects are likely to be biased in the way you suggest JMac, but are generally being drawn from high risk exposure groups such as healthcare providers. That may balance out the bias.

Feeling the growl again

The Moderna trial has a recruitment target of 30,000 subjects. Subjects are likely to be biased in the way you suggest JMac, but are generally being drawn from high risk exposure groups such as healthcare providers. That may balance out the bias.

Inclusion criteria - "Participants who are at high risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection, defined as adults whose locations or circumstances put them at appreciable risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19.".  I don't claim to know exactly how they are applying this criteria, but clearly, they are looking to bias towards people more likely to be exposed.  It makes sense.  If you don't your trial size must increase.

I don't have a link but additional information I've seen today on both the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines.  Didn't want to comment prior to public disclosure.  Shipping and stability.  The Moderna vaccine can be shipped and stored at -20C, has some stability at normal vaccine refrigeration temps.  The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine must be shipped/stored at -70C with only 24 hours at typical refrigeration temps.  This presents a significant limitation for both vaccines, but for Pfizer in particular.  That sort of cold chain distribution will likely restrict vaccine administration to major institutions.  Long lines at major hospitals/centers.  Unless significant steps are taken to change the status quo in cold chain storage.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have found someone they should pick for the study.

https://www.kolotv.com/2020/08/27/unr-med-school-state-health-lab-studying-reinfection-of-covid-19-in-washoe-county/

Infected. Twice. After two negative tests. With no vaccine. Imagine the genomic data this person has.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Chicago runs a train to northern Indiana called the South Shore Line.  There were two cars open today.  One for people with masks.  One for people without.

Of course there was a lady who refused to wear a mask, but insisted on being in the mask-only car.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Chicago runs a train to northern Indiana called the South Shore Line.  There were two cars open today.  One for people with masks.  One for people without.

Of course there was a lady who refused to wear a mask, but insisted on being in the mask-only car.

People are the worst. But nothing anyone does surprises me anymore. In any case, I wonder why the trains don't have a mask requirement on all cars. It seems most public transport does, although not sure how strictly enforced.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So is this a typical example of what happens in the US?  Why would there be an option in the first place?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

So is this a typical example of what happens in the US?  Why would there be an option in the first place?

'cause we got rights! 'Merica!  YEAH!

*sarcasm*

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Every state has its own requirements.  In some states the masking requirement is more rigorous, in other states less.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Maine is strict about the rules, but there is almost ALWAYS that one person in the grocery store who thinks he/she doesn't need to wear a mask.  It's so hard for me not to go up to them and say, "What are you THINKING?"  Ack.

Every state has its own requirements.  In some states the masking requirement is more rigorous, in other states less.

If I'm not mistaken, I think his question was more about why she'd have the option to go into the mask-only car with no mask, when there is a no-mask option. So my answer below is based on that.

Because America is a place where you go to a restaurant, they give you a menu, and you order whatever the hell you want regardless of what's on the menu. And they're expected to serve it to you with a smile and act like it's no problem at all, only profusely apologizing if they don't have the ingredients in the kitchen. In which case you can act irritated and give them a poor Yelp review.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If I'm not mistaken, I think his question was more about why she'd have the option to go into the mask-only car with no mask, when there is a no-mask option. So my answer below is based on that.

Ah - I read it as "why would they give you a choice of a mask or mask free car"?  In the DC area, if you are going to ride Metro, you wear a mask. No mask-free cars available.

But not wearing a mask on a mask car is like going into the quiet car on Amtrak and starting to talk loudly on your cell phone.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ah - I read it as "why would they give you a choice of a mask or mask free car"?  In the DC area, if you are going to ride Metro, you wear a mask. No mask-free cars available.

But not wearing a mask on a mask car is like going into the quiet car on Amtrak and starting to talk loudly on your cell phone.

Which Americans will do!

But yeah I'm surprised there is an option on public transportation anywhere.

Dave

dhuffman63

Trails

Until all this I never realized how stupid and selfish some people can be.

MoBramExam

Maine is strict about the rules, but there is almost ALWAYS that one person in the grocery store who thinks he/she doesn't need to wear a mask.  It's so hard for me not to go up to them and say, "What are you THINKING?"  Ack.

Perhaps they were medically exempt?