The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Perhaps they were medically exempt?

Guy in his 40s, looked very healthy.  But if he was exempt, maybe he shouldn't be out in public?

Maine is strict about the rules, but there is almost ALWAYS that one person in the grocery store who thinks he/she doesn't need to wear a mask.  It's so hard for me not to go up to them and say, "What are you THINKING?"  Ack.

But...you don’t want to get too close.

Dave

MoBramExam

Guy in his 40s, looked very healthy.  But if he was exempt, maybe he shouldn't be out in public?

FFS

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are almost no reasonable medical exemptions to mask wearing, and those with advanced medical conditions that might make them exempt for mask wearing should not be in public regardless.

MoBramExam

There are almost no reasonable medical exemptions to mask wearing, and those with advanced medical conditions that might make them exempt for mask wearing should not be in public regardless.

Yes, had read that from a doctor at American Lung Association a while back.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Back on topic to perhaps a more important issue:

spaniel - should we be concerned at all with the news from AstraZeneca?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Back on topic to perhaps a more important issue:

I take it as reassuring that they are evidently still taking safety seriously, and not rushing ahead or worse, covering up in the name of Operation Warp Speed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for posting that.  That's what I figured, but it's nice to get confirmation from a physician.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am not Spaniel, and look forward to his comments. My thoughts: the news about the AZ trial are not concerning, and the brief pause means that the study safety protocols appear to be working to protect study subjects from undue harm. Further, even if the AZ study is permanently halted as a result of this adverse outcome, there are numerous other Phase III trials of COVID-19 vaccines using different vaccine technologies that would not be expected to have similar safety/risk profiles as the AZ one. To my understanding, the AZ trial is of an attenuated version of the virus (I may be wrong in this) while the Pfizer study is just a viral protein and the Moderna study is injected mRNA which causes the body to produce the viral protein. To my mind, that makes the AZ approach the most lily to have adverse outcomes.

Kalsarikännit

I am going to admit to complete and total ignorance of something, and I don’t know if I’m an idiot (probably) or if it is truly surprising...

I’ve been furloughed since early March, and after a few months of sitting around and after more was learned about covid, I decided that I would do some thru hikes.  Five days in the woods living off ramen and one day in a small town in Minnesota or Colorado, always taking all recommended precautions and dropping a little money where it was needed felt right.  Some towns were very strict about people wearing masks in public, one (Lake City, CO) had a few businesses that had signs up saying that they wouldn’t require customers to wear masks despite state orders (but I could see the staff was masked).

I bikepacked the GAP and C&O trails last week, everything was good and I felt very comfortable in the towns, and then I hit Rockwood and Meyersdale, PA.  Needing just to grab some food, a beer or two for when I set up camp, and a temporary screw for one that came out of my cleat, I went in and walked right out of EVERY business in these towns and didn’t spend a buck.  I didn’t see one mask in town, I didn’t see one mask on patrons, and I didn’t see one mask on employees who were handling food or interacting with the public.  Not badly worn masks, NOTHING.  It was as if nothing was going on.  The first time I saw this at a small grocery/deli I asked the cashier/lady making the food if there was a state mandatory mask order.  I got a shrug and a “yeah, probably” (turns out there is not).

I genuinely did not know this was going on anywhere in the world right now, much less America.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am going to admit to complete and total ignorance of something

You clearly don't know how to internet.

I genuinely did not know this was going on anywhere in the world right now, much less America.

Yes. Unlike anywhere else in the world, in America masks have nothing to do with protecting against illness. In America, masks are a mark of sheeple-like compliance among those who bow to fear and belong to the political party that promotes pedophilia. Some go so far as to suggest that masks are also the mark of the beast and a physical manifestation of the muting that occurs as the constitution is trampled, starting with the first amendment. You are either for freedom or you wear a mask. It is that simple.

Elsewhere in the world, masks are about protecting against illness. Not in America. This is American exceptionalism.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In the meantime, Canada reported zero COVID deaths. But I'm sure the reason is because they have a lower population than the US, and not because of masks and good, science-respecting leadership.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My dad is 83.  He was an engineering professor at UT-Austin for 52 years. He reluctantly retired at the age of 78.  Until April, 2019, he was in amazingly good health.  Then he had heart surgery (valve replacement and bypass).  His medical care was abominable (I would seriously sue someone if I thought it would do any good).  He developed fluid around his lungs and other issues and came very close to dying in February. I flew to Texas from Maine quite a few times.  My sister and I jumped through hoops to keep him alive.  We hired a patient advocate and we all worked tirelessly for him.  He was so ill that we went to a funeral home to arrange his service (we even got the UT Longhorn Band director to agree to send some kids to play!).

Dad being Dad, he rallied and is doing pretty well now.  He's still on hospice only because that's the easiest way for him to keep his bipap machine.  But he is at high, high risk of death if he gets COVID.

Yesterday, I found out through the grapevine and confirmed that he and Mom are attending their church again in Austin.  After each service, there is a potluck lunch and nobody wears masks while eating and sitting close together.  To say I am livid is an understatement.  Dad has been calling Mom a "child" for refusing to do Weight Watchers.  Uh, Dad, Mom has no significant physical issues and will undoubtedly outlive you.  You, on the other hand, are risking not only your own life, but that of your wife, caregivers, medical professionals, etc.

My sister wanted me to call Dad this morning to beg him to at least come home after the church service and skip the potluck.  I told her I am so angry with him right now I can't talk to him.  He KNOWS how we feel.  I have spoken to him repeatedly and he has seen all my Facebook posts on the subject.

My friends say, "Your parents are intelligent and making choices for themselves.."  Yeah, but they're making choices not only for themselves but for OTHERS.  Maine is still suffering from the idiots who thought it was OK to have a wedding in frigging MILLINOCKET, which is about as isolated a town as I've ever been in.  There are at least 160 COVID cases and three deaths attributed to this outbreak.  None of the people who died even attended the wedding.  Someone else made a choice that killed them.  Sad

OK, I need to take a Xanax now.

I don’t know if I’m an idiot (probably) or if it is truly surprising...

False dichotomy.

But yeah, people suck.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

rlopez

We're all idiots, but only one of us sucks.