The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ll single yours out again and say....

Hmm. A handful of posts about race relations before mine and yet you single mine out. Not sure whether that’s good or bad.

I’m busy running instead of reading endless discussions about racism in America in a thread that was SUPPOSED to be ONLY about COVID 19. I guess since no one has a race to train for, or another platform to discuss non-running things we’ll have  talk about them here. 

when does the Presidential Race thread start? I hear that Joe Tiger guy really had Florida supporting him. Might get the AARP vote from Trump

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Prince of Fatness

I’ll single yours out again and say....

I’m busy running instead of reading endless discussions about racism in America in a thread that was SUPPOSED to be ONLY about COVID 19. I guess since no one has a race to train for, or another platform to discuss non-running things we’ll have  talk about them here. 

when does the Presidential Race thread start? I hear that Joe Tiger guy really had Florida supporting him. Might get the AARP vote from Trump

This is the internet where threads go off on tangents.  Don't be angry.

Not at it at all. 

So here is some interesting information, still in the very early stages, about genetic links and the virus.

tldr;  People with type A blood seem to get sicker.  Degree of immune response (cytokine storm) and possibility of needing ventilation/ICU may be related to the genes.  The related genes are on the same loci as the blood type.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/health/coronavirus-blood-type-genetics.html?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200604&instance_id=19100&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=118916616&segment_id=30119&te=1&user_id=f95cc627fbce87f9ad6cd16ea7ae8e0f

Here is the full preprint (not peer reviewed).

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.31.20114991v1.full.pdf

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is the internet where threads go off on tangents.  Don't be angry.

I’m not angry. I’m disrespectful to my elders.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The mod will probably lock this thread. Then change his mind and unlock it a few hours later on condition it’s only COVID 19 related posts. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The mod will probably lock this thread. Then change his mind and unlock it a few hours later on condition it’s only COVID 19 related posts. 👍

Na, this thread isn't about running.

In COVID 19 related news....according to Bloomburn on MSN

New York City reported no confirmed fatalities for the first time since March, though three deaths from untested patients may be attributable to the virus. A study that said a malaria drug backed by U.S. President Donald Trump raised the risk of heart side effects and death has been retracted.

I'm sure those three dead people won't be tested and New York can continue with it's mandatory mask policy. AT least unemployment is reaching levels mirroring the Great Depression.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/world/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storylines_menu

New research suggests that by September, most students will have fallen behind where they would have been if they had stayed in classrooms, with some losing the equivalent of a full school year’s worth of academic credit. The disruption to education caused by the pandemic is likely to widen racial and socioeconomic achievement gaps because of disparities in access to computers, home internet connections and direct instruction from teachers.

AT least the kids will be so far behind school at a time they'd usually be on summer break it's going to increase the racial divide according to the New York Times.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do you think this is because the media is now only interested in the riots?

In COVID 19 related news....according to Bloomburn on MSN

New York City reported no confirmed fatalities for the first time since March

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ok, a sincere question. Because I do not understand something really really important, looks like. Sacramento King's announcer Grant Napear in his tweet said this: "ALL LIVES MATTER...EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!". As a result he was fired from the basketball team and from the radio. I really apologize if I sound like an incompetent person, but what did he say wrong? I honestly do not understand.

This is pretty good, I thought -

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do you think this is because the media is now only interested in the riots?

Yes. 100% believe the number of COVID related deaths will go down due to riots/racism/protests/demonstrations/police brutality currently filling the news. New York IS the worst state (twice as many deaths as the next ranked state) for COVID 19 deaths and it's now news someone died and it WASN'T due to COVID 19.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) statistics

CONFIRMED

DEATHS

RECOVERED

New York

-

New Jersey

-

Illinois

-

California

-

Massachusetts

-

Oh wait....11 mintues ago someone wrote an article saying 19 people died of COVID in New York. Gotta keep the focus on the Rona...like this thread.

"Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) on Friday urged every New Yorker to get tested for COVID-19, especially if they have been participating in protests against police brutality.

He said the daily number of people admitted to hospitals with suspected cases of COVID-19 increased to 84 on Friday, up from 48 Thursday. It's too soon to know whether the jump is tied to the protests."

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

"Wild West"

Well you did start the “Wild West” thread. Own it.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

What does "wild west" mean to you when it comes to a discussion topic on a message board?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What does "wild west" mean to you when it comes to a discussion topic on a message board?

I’m more interested in what “wild west” means to the OP.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's my point.

What's yours?

rlopez

I’m more interested in what “wild west” means to the OP.

And I'm interested in your answer to my question.