The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good thing you're woke and open-minded and don't stereotype at all...

Nothing to see here. Keep moving on. It’s not when you’re talking about people who support a Republican President.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Don't Oreos grow on bushes? They're organic!

Nabisco Organics Oreo Chocolate Sandwich W/Organic Flour & Sugar Cookies  8.46 Oz Box | Sandwich | Foodtown

I wonder what pollinates them?

Bees@worX | 50+ articles and images curated on Pinterest | bee, bee art, bee  keeping

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Don't Oreos grow on bushes? They're organic!

And vegan.

Dave

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

EDIT: Can you next explain to me how I spread a virus if I test negative for it so I'm not a carrier

1. Testing negative does not mean you are not a carrier

2. Testing negative does not mean you don't have the virus

3. Testing negative does not mean you are not shedding the virus

4. Testing negative does not mean the virus is not incubating inside you and will be infectious an hour or a day or a week later

5. Carrier status is not really a concept with COVID-19 currently

EDIT #2: also I'd love to hear how this swiss cheese approach layer of keeping some businesses closed is helping stop the spread of COVID 19.

I am not a policy guy, so anything I say is speculation. My speculative answer is that we have had a patchwork of inconsistent responses to how we as a society should respond to COVID across the country because there was no attempt whatsoever at central coordination as was seen in just about every other first world contrary. Rather, we had at least as many different approaches to mitigating COVID's spread as there are municipalities in the USofA. I can understand why that miss mash is very unsettling and confusing to somebody like you who only sees the world in black and white.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ah, UK journalist and presenter Mr Piers Morgan has a book coming out next month about the “outraged woke brigade”....and if you like an English accent then you can get it on audio book and read by the great man himself!  Pre-order your copy now!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Trent so if testing negative does no mean all those things why do we even care about test results? I thought the test for Covid 19 tested to see if you had it. Testing negative doesn’t mean you don’t  have it, but testing positive does mean you have it. That seems very odd. Almost like statistics where you never accept the null you fail to disprove it or something. So everyone has COVID 19 which is why we have to wear masks. Even the people who tested positive and recovered without a vaccine. It can’t be tracked well because society didn’t quarantine for three weeks and now the President doesn’t just take absolute control and lock down the entire country. Yeah....I’m sure everyone here would LOVE if President Trump just closed our borders with the wave of his pen like President Obama saved children from being deported with the wave of his pen, or Canada, England, and maybe Australia closed THEIR borders to outsiders.

keep making assumptions about how I see the world. You and rlopez only see me one way anyways. Racist and uneducated in epidemiology. As a scientist you should see things and question them.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trump supporters don’t deserve respect. They actively put the lives of others at risk.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Republican President.

He’s not a Republican.

Not at it at all. 

And vegan.

making them deliciously cholesterol free and packed with 0% of your daily recommended amount of 12 important nutrients.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh, my sweet summer child.

No medical test has perfect specificity, sensitivity, or predictive values.

But I'm sure you knew that, educated in epidemiology as you are.

And believe it or not, the lack of perfect test characteristics across all medical testing has nothing to do with Trump. For real.

Trent so if testing negative does no mean all those things why do we even care about test results? I thought the test for Covid 19 tested to see if you had it. Testing negative doesn’t mean you don’t  have it, but testing positive does mean you have it. That seems very odd. Almost like statistics where you never accept the null you fail to disprove it or something. So everyone has COVID 19 which is why we have to wear masks. Even the people who tested positive and recovered without a vaccine. It can’t be tracked well because society didn’t quarantine for three weeks and now the President doesn’t just take absolute control and lock down the entire country. Yeah....I’m sure everyone here would LOVE if President Trump just closed our borders with the wave of his pen like President Obama saved children from being deported with the wave of his pen, or Canada, England, and maybe Australia closed THEIR borders to outsiders.

keep making assumptions about how I see the world. You and rlopez only see me one way anyways. Racist and uneducated in epidemiology. As a scientist you should see things and question them.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh, my sweet summer child.

No medical test has perfect specificity, sensitivity, or predictive values.

But I'm sure you knew that, educated in epidemiology as you are.

And believe it or not, the lack of perfect test characteristics across all medical testing has nothing to do with Trump. For real.

Never said I was educated in any of this. You have always made sure to point out how uneducated I am on the topic. I have never claimed to be educated in it. I don’t know why you keep thinking I’m educated in epidemiology when you keep saying I’m not educated in it. I’m just trying to understand what you’re supporting. At first I thought testing was key to understanding it. Now it sounds like everyone is just assumed to have it which is why we have masks and social distancing. I never said testing had to do with Trump either. I was saying if Trump had locked down all of our cities and states people would blast him for it. Just like they blast him for wanting to build a wall at the southern border. Since he didn’t lock it down he is to blame. Trump isn’t in control of the testing protocol as far as I know, or it’s development. Remember....Trump supporters don’t deserve respect according to zoom zoom.

so the testing isn’t perfect, but we need it to determine positive test rates. The positive test rates tell us what exactly? Who has it? We can’t determine who doesn’t have it as you’ve pointed out.  
                        So if we know who is positive and we see them recovering without a vaccine why such an importance on a vaccine? How about we focus on how the people are recovering without a vaccine? I know that’s part of developing the vaccine. Can it be part of taking back a layer of Swiss cheese or does the Swiss cheese model not allow for your layers to be pealed back? I’m unfamiliar with this model. Also epidemiology. In case you forgot. 
                        im not asking for a perfect test. I’m asking to understand why were even testing if we can’t show people don’t have it. All we can do is say people actively have it. So if we know who has it, and we can’t isolate those people, and being recovered counts for nothing after testing positive, then what is a vaccine going to do that being recovered isn’t? Couldn’t you be infecting people who already have COVID 19 with more covid 19 when that vaccine starts getting mandated? Would it be like having whooping cough then getting a tdap shot?

VDOT 53.37 

an amazing likeness

so the testing isn’t perfect, but we need it to determine positive test rates. The positive test rates tell us what exactly? Who has it? We can’t determine who doesn’t have it as you’ve pointed out.

Absent treatment options, testing so that we know who is infected allows for the infected people to isolate themselves and not spread the virus. Testing is an important component in stopping community spread.

The goal of testing isn't the data it throws off.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Absent treatment options, testing so that we know who is infected allows for the infected people to isolate themselves and not spread the virus. Testing is an important component in stopping community spread.

The goal of testing isn't the data it throws off.

I understand the testing is important for developing a vaccine. I don't understand how a test that can't tell me everything Trent outlined is valuable.

am I a carrier? don't know. test doesn't tell me.

do I have the virus? Can't say for certian since the teset can't tell me I DON'T have the virus. Might as well assume I have it since I fail to say I DON'T have it.

am I spreading it? Don't know since the test doesn't say that. You're only spreading it if we link a positive test to you. You might not be if you're following all of the requirements for social distancing and quarantine and masking.

might I get it in a few days? Don't know since the test can't tell us until you're actually feeling sick and showing signs of a positive test result. THEN we can tell you you're positive and you have to quarantine. Probably because you weren't wearing a mask and support Donald Trump. Go home and quarantine for the next 14 days. When you've recovered go back to wearing a mask and socially distancing. Unless you die in which case we'll help you quarantine indefinitely.

Testing only works if people get tested, and of the number of tests given locally there is only a 10% positive test rate. I don't know how many of those are a false positive BUT if 90% of the people aren't testing positive, and the test sounds like it only works when you're showing enough signs to test positive, why even do the test or put emphasis on it? Just develop the vaccine and quit reporting the number of positive tests since it has no weight towards removing any layer of swiss cheese put in place. Remember a vaccine doesn't provide long term immunity so how are we going to bring those layers off? People don't vaccinate their kids for whooping cough, or stay up to date on their Tdap shots in some spots of the world. Where was the requirement for those individuals to protect others by wearing masks and staying home?

Do people envision a society where wearing masks continues on indefinately? No possibility to conduct any kind of race due to social distance requirements. COVID 19 has now destroyed any possibility of a marathon happening or even my local turkey trot because too many people travel which keeps the spread of COVID 19 from stopping. Rolling starts can work, until I'm next to that heavy breather in my next marathon for 40 minutes on a cloudy winter day. Somehow I don't believe I'm magically safe from COVID 19 when I'm exercising outside regardless of what Gavin Newsom says I can do without spreading COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Testing only works if people get tested, and of the number of tests given locally there is only a 10% positive test rate."

Only?!?  Gulp.  I am very glad I'm in Maine.

an amazing likeness

I understand the testing is important for developing a vaccine. I don't understand how a test that can't tell me everything Trent outlined is valuable.

am I a carrier? don't know. test doesn't tell me

What a silly screed. You know full well that what Trent was noting was that NO test is 100% accurate.  If it works in  some fairly high percentage of cases, then it helps those infected stop themselves from spreading it. Some will be missed, and some will be false positives. That's reality.

Do people envision a society where wearing masks continues on indefinately?

I do. For specific situations where a mask makes an effective contribution to risk reduction.  We will join those other areas of the world where mask wearing has been a norm long before COVID.

regardless of what Gavin Newsom says I can do without spreading COVID 19.

You seem very focused and reactionary to who delivers the information, rather than the information. Trust science. Respect Nature. Respect others.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.