The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I dunno. Maybe this is simplistic, but maybe it will help.

Things you can do to reduce the spread of COVID-19

COVID test negative

COVID test positive

Wear a mask

Socially distant yourself

Wash your hands

Don’t eat inside restaurants

Don’t attend concerts, church, movies, parties inside

If you must be in groups, do it outside

Fully isolate yourself away from all people

✓✓

Running Problem

Problem Child

COVID test negative

COVID test positive

Wear a mask

Wash your hands

It does. It shows me exactly how important it is for me to be tested for COVID 19 as well as get a vaccine if and when it becomes available. Apparently with a positive test fully isolating myself from people won't reduce the spread of COVID 19. Guess all those people testing positive staying home are doing it wrong.

Any idea why churches, restaurants, and movie theaters are open if they're not safe to do with a negative or positive test result? Seems like a layer we should get on. I'll hang out at grocery stores and coffee shops. Can't catch it there, or is this one of those "just because you can't say you can't doesn't mean you can" kind of things?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I feel sorry for all the deaf people who say they're okay with American Sign Language. The word and the thought might not line up based on what other people experience in life.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/26/anti-defamation-league-adds-ok-hand-gesture-hate-symbol-database/3772950002/

Semiotics are really interesting. This is a seminal work -

https://www.communicationtheory.org/the-meaning-of-meaning-model/

seminal....*insert giggle here* he said seminal.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

an amazing likeness

COVID test negative

COVID test positive

Wear a mask

Wash your hands

I dunno about that last row....those with positive test should self isolate...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Apparently with a positive test fully isolating myself from people won't reduce the spread of COVID 19

🤣🤣 Yea, I said it was simplistic. And I messed up the last row. Fixed. Did I mention I have a bit of brain fog right now?

Any idea why churches, restaurants, and movie theaters are open if they're not safe to do with a negative or positive test result? 

Again, I am not a policy guy. My suspicion is that it is because people believe they cannot live without these things AND because our economy does not really accommodate situations where our usual approach to cash fluidity doesn't occur. That is, without people buying things, thereby keeping folks employed, we have no was to assure that everybody can cover their rent, grocery bills, and medical expenses. Other countries seem to have better ways to handle this.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yea, I mucked up the table. Fixing it now.

I dunno about that last row....those with positive test should self isolate...

Running Problem

Problem Child

🤣🤣 Yea, I said it was simplistic. And I messed up the last row. Fixed. Did I mention I have a bit of brain fog right now?

Again, I am not a policy guy. My suspicion is that it is because people believe they cannot live without these things AND because our economy does not really accommodate situations where our usual approach to cash fluidity doesn't occur. That is, without people buying things, thereby keeping folks employed, we have no was to assure that everybody can cover their rent, grocery bills, and medical expenses. Other countries seem to have better ways to handle this.

So we need that guarenteed income people were talking about earlier in this thread. Everyone is handed a living wage just for existing. Sounds similar to the PFD in Alaska paid for by oil companies or something along those lines.

We can shop online. Groceries can be delivered. No need to keep many places open these days when you can have a Big Mac delivered to your door. The USPS needs the work I hear. Something about their funding getting cut or them being shut down.

EDIT: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/unc-basketball-will-play-in-the-maui-invitational-in-asheville/ar-BB19bvf9?ocid=uxbndlbing

Gotta have that sports ball tournament. Due to COVID 19 we have to keep finding new locations for our gatherings of people from other parts of the country.

This is why I don't see how COVID 19 is important anymore. Seems like being an athlete or elected official makes you immune to spreading the virus around from a socially acceptable point of view.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We live in miraculous times.

you can have a Big Mac delivered to your door

Running Problem

Problem Child

We live in miraculous times.

Just wait until Joe Biden wins the Presidential election and we can finally agree on how to best stop the spread of COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

keep making assumptions about how I see the world. You and rlopez only see me one way anyways. Racist and uneducated in epidemiology. As a scientist you should see things and question them.

To clarify, I don't see you as racist. I mean, you might be, but that's not how I see you. Rather, I see you as someone WHO CANT LET ANYTHING WHATSOEVER GO and therefore keep hitting the same bell over and over and over and over. Like, drop all the racist references and move the fuck on. It isn't about your 'racism', it's about how you actually act on this board.

As for the thing about the iphone emoji and just magically posting that specific version of the ok sign in Summer 2020 all innocent and whatnot, ok, plausible deniability and victimhood are mysterious things. On behalf of Runningahead, I apologize that within the context of what was being posted, you "randomly" chose that and we all said wtf. Surely there was nothing going on there and we overreacted. It won't happen again. You aren't a victim.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I once innocently blew a dog whistle and was surprised when dogs showed up ...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here's a good article on dealing with the pandemic this winter. The point is, conquering it is not a simple thing  - a vaccine, is found, we have fireworks and a parade. We need to do our respective parts in multiple ways to get through the winter and spring of 2021. We don't like it, but that's what we are dealing with.

A Coronovirus Winter

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I walked with my run/walk partner last Tuesday.  We were outdoors the entire time but we didn't wear masks.  Friday, she emailed me that someone she was exposed to in Connecticut a week ago Sunday tested positive.  Gak.  The good news is that my friend was tested and is negative.  But it brought it close to home for me.  We all have to be careful, even in states with very low rates of infection.

I am going to ask my friend about the specifics of her exposure and whether she plans on changing her behavior in the future.  I know she has a trip to South Carolina planned in the next month or so.  I guess I just won't walk with her until a couple of weeks after her return.

On the way to our cabin this weekend we stopped at a large supermarket.  Seven people weren't wearing masks.  I'm sure they all had medical exemptions.  And then my husband ran into a mom and pop store in North Anson, Maine (aka middle of nowhere) and he said that he was the only person (customer or employee) wearing a mask in the whole store.  I'm sure all those people had medical exemptions, too.  And this during a time when there are outbreaks in a couple of remote Maine counties.  Sigh.  It's going to be a long winter, I'm afraid, when people have to stay indoors.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I walked with my run/walk partner last Tuesday.  We were outdoors the entire time but we didn't wear masks.  Friday, she emailed me that someone she was exposed to in Connecticut a week ago Sunday tested positive.  Gak.  The good news is that my friend was tested and is negative.  But it brought it close to home for me.  We all have to be careful, even in states with very low rates of infection.

I am going to ask my friend about the specifics of her exposure and whether she plans on changing her behavior in the future.  I know she has a trip to South Carolina planned in the next month or so.  I guess I just won't walk with her until a couple of weeks after her return.

On the way to our cabin this weekend we stopped at a large supermarket.  Seven people weren't wearing masks.  I'm sure they all had medical exemptions.  And then my husband ran into a mom and pop store in North Anson, Maine (aka middle of nowhere) and he said that he was the only person (customer or employee) wearing a mask in the whole store.  I'm sure all those people had medical exemptions, too.  And this during a time when there are outbreaks in a couple of remote Maine counties.  Sigh.  It's going to be a long winter, I'm afraid, when people have to stay indoors.

Negative test doesn't mean she didn't expose you to it. Doesn't mean she wasn't a carrier. She could also test positive in a few days if she starts to show signs or symptoms. Good thing there isn't a valid reason to have a exemption to wearing a mask. I just can't understand why testing and masks are so important when people can be so selfish and not think of others. Maybe if people actually cared about COVID 19 and took it seriously it would stop spreading. If only we had to show proof of our medical exemption like this state tried to do and were denied. 

https://www.courant.com/coronavirus/hc-news-coronavirus-clb-face-mask-executive-order-connecticut-20200420-a7yfuio5nzebll3xwrg2ys3fbi-story.html

At least Connecticuit got it right from the beginning. Doesn't look like any exercise outside was exempted from wearing a mask. California said as long as you're outside you don't have to wear a mask so everyone flocked to trails and parks and overwhelmed everything because you didn't have to wear a mask when walking your dog on a single track trail because Governor Newsom said it was safe.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I saw a CNN news clip last week about a Maine wedding which became a super spreader event due to lack of contact tracing. We generally don’t have a problem with mask wearing in the UK, but our contact tracing system is a shambles and we are now going into a second spike.

If you aren’t comfortable walking with someone outdoors because they’ve visited a higher risk area then that’s your personal choice. I’m going to visit my parents in a couple of weeks time who are definitely high risk (91/84yo) and they are adamant that I take them to restaurants and see family/friends as they rarely get out now and don’t drive anymore. I have pointed out the risks, but I respect their wishes and would probably have the same attitude if I ever get to their age!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)