The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

The Insurrection Act, and potentially Title 32 as well, allow the president to deploy the military to assist civilian authorities with law enforcement activities virtually whenever and wherever the president chooses. In some scenarios, a deployment of troops under these statutes might appear similar to a declaration of martial law. These ambiguities and the breadth of the president’s statutory authority point to the need for Congress to pass legislation that better defines the scope and limits of presidential powers — both for martial law and for other domestic uses of the military.

Throughout history governors and other local officials have declared martial law.  NY could have been quarantined if the governor had elected to impose martial law.  Would have been ugly but it's been done.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The Insurrection Act, and potentially Title 32 as well, allow the president to deploy the military to assist civilian authorities with law enforcement activities virtually whenever and wherever the president chooses. In some scenarios, a deployment of troops under these statutes might appear similar to a declaration of martial law. These ambiguities and the breadth of the president’s statutory authority point to the need for Congress to pass legislation that better defines the scope and limits of presidential powers — both for martial law and for other domestic uses of the military.

Throughout history governors and other local officials have declared martial law.  NY could have been quarantined if the governor had elected to impose martial law.  Would have been ugly but it's been done.

Can you imagine how widely accepted it would have been if Governor Cuomo quarantined the entire state by declaring martial law, or even if he did it now? "sorry folks, we're appointed these armed guards in your neighborhood to keep you in. We're also going to put up fences around the neighborhood and check identification for proof of residency in this zipcode when you enter/leave to protect others from COVID 19. We're from the government and we're here to help so stay inside, stay home, stay safe, and together we can get through this if you few people we've labeled as spreading a virus isolate yourselves from society in general." If New York would have done it from the beginning and set the example we'd have been over COVID 19 by now. We could have studied the virus among this population and had an E-ZPass to human trials.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/what-is-martial-law-and-why-does-gov-cuomo-keep-getting-asked-about-it/2335832/

Thankfully he decided against using martial law early on.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dhuffman63

Trails

Unfortunately yes I can understand what would happen given recent events even without martial law.  NY did kind of quarantine a town way back when.  Of course it did no good because it was so porous and people are stupid and don't seem to care much for any one else.  Course we have a leader who is the worse example of empathic leadership.  He's nothing but a menace.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Unfortunately yes I can understand what would happen given recent events even without martial law.  NY did kind of quarantine a town way back when.  Of course it did no good because it was so porous and people are stupid and don't seem to care much for any one else.  Course we have a leader who is the worse example of empathic leadership.  He's nothing but a menace.

I'm sure there would be protests and demonstrations and riots and hashtags with online petitions to recall the Governor. It still amazes me how much COVID 19 is going to be fixed with Joe Biden as President. I just want to get back to marathon racing and not have to fear losing my registration money when a race cancels or regret not signing up for a race until AFTER COVID 19 quarantine protocol is approved. Unfortunately racing is not allowed so recreational running is all I can do.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I wouldn’t want to be a landlord in the UK as singing and dancing in pubs/restaurants is now illegal. 

https://britannianews.co.uk/2020/09/29/singing-and-dancing-to-be-banned-in-very-covid-secure-pubs-according-to-conservative-mp/

So the Trump/Biden shoot out debate is tonight? Should be popcorn viewing.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ugh, my friend's 29-year-old son (who was an Eagle Scout with my son in the same troop) ended his life last week.  He disappeared in the Maine woods and it took days to find him.  I think it was a combination of his dad's dying from cancer two years ago, breaking up with his fiancee last year, and then isolation from COVID that led to his death.  This makes the third woman in my book club (including me) who has been directly affected by suicide.  Watch out for your kids and loved ones.  

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I would say that suicide rates amongst the young will go through the roof....one of my old mates from N. Ireland who had twins lost one of them during the full lockdown....hung himself in his bedroom. How does a family ever get over that?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I wouldn’t want to be a landlord in the UK as singing and dancing in pubs/restaurants is now illegal. 

https://britannianews.co.uk/2020/09/29/singing-and-dancing-to-be-banned-in-very-covid-secure-pubs-according-to-conservative-mp/

So the Trump/Biden shoot out debate is tonight? Should be popcorn viewing.

There is a debate? I figured everyone already knew who they’re voting for and debates would already COVID 19 seeing as how Trump and Biden haven’t spent any time together in the past 9 months and that kind of closeness is EXACTLY what MY Governor is saying spreads COVID 19 (family gatherings).

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ugh, my friend's 29-year-old son (who was an Eagle Scout with my son in the same troop) ended his life last week.  He disappeared in the Maine woods and it took days to find him.  I think it was a combination of his dad's dying from cancer two years ago, breaking up with his fiancee last year, and then isolation from COVID that led to his death.  This makes the third woman in my book club (including me) who has been directly affected by suicide.  Watch out for your kids and loved ones.  

That sucks. Definitely a rough time to be alone.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

There is a debate? I figured everyone already knew who they’re voting for and debates would already COVID 19 seeing as how Trump and Biden haven’t spent any time together in the past 9 months and that kind of closeness is EXACTLY what MY Governor is saying spreads COVID 19 (family gatherings).

Everyone? Not really as there’s usually only about 60% of folk who could be bothered voting. Sometimes a clown Vs clown live debate can swing things if it’s a divided country.

For a debate to happen they'd have to cut the microphone when it wasn't that person's time for answering a question. That's not being done because the networks wanted a shitshow and got it.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For a debate to happen they'd have to cut the microphone when it wasn't that person's time for answering a question. That's not being done because the networks wanted a shitshow and got it.

If you want to see what debates used to be like, check out this video of the Nixon/Kennedy debate. I watched a bit of it, but my favorite thing I saw was Kennedy saying that Nixon was an "effective leader of his party" around the 17:55 mark. Can you imagine that happening today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdVHFESjTsE

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you want to see what debates used to be like, check out this video of the Nixon/Kennedy debate. I watched a bit of it, but my favorite thing I saw was Kennedy saying that Nixon was an "effective leader of his party" around the 17:55 mark. Can you imagine that happening today?

I can imagine it. I can also imagine it would be interpreted like I said it. As satire and a dig on Nixon. Headlines would read how JFK admitted he wasn't the best candidate, how he attacked Nixon, and how he shows bipartisan efforts far suprassing those ever seen in history.

VDOT 53.37 

Feeling the growl again

The debate was a frustrating and useless fiasco.  However one only has to peruse a bit through social media to realize how the candidates treat each other is only a reflection of how the rest of society has come to behave towards one another.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The debate was a frustrating and useless fiasco.  However one only has to peruse a bit through social media to realize how the candidates treat each other is only a reflection of how the rest of society has come to behave towards one another.

Cosigned.

The ability to respectfully disagree seems to be a lost art.  And one that you are criticized for, if you do possess it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.