The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Feeling the growl again

Yep, the venison burgers were good as well but the elk was where it’s at. A man goes into the woods in bags of wild animal, cleans it, brings it home and cooks it up for you, you get to enjoy that deliciousness with some tasty craft beer after running in the fields. That’s a good day.

It's been far too long since we did that.  I still have elk burger, and the track...just not the mid-6 beer mile ability.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If we walk the beer mile, do we get to drink more beer?

Feeling the growl again

If we walk the beer mile, do we get to drink more beer?

The minimum is 4 beers.  I don't recall the rules dictating a maximum.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

It's been far too long since we did that.  I still have elk burger, and the track...just not the mid-6 beer mile ability.

Damn. I can still drink beer and run a mile. Such a drive tho. 

All these years later I am still questioned about diving that far to run a beer mile.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My drive was not as long, but it was long AND it cost me some wife points. Totally worth it.

Feeling the growl again

Damn. I can still drink beer and run a mile. Such a drive tho. 

All these years later I am still questioned about diving that far to run a beer mile.

It wasn't really about the beer mile...

Prince of Fatness

It wasn't really about the beer mile...

+1

Not at it at all. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For the new folks, someone want to refill us in on this beer mile with elk burgers after? Sounds fun.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Feeling the growl again

For the new folks, someone want to refill us in on this beer mile with elk burgers after? Sounds fun.

So once upon a time, I was a half decent runner.  Long ago in a galaxy far far away.  So when I bought a house with 15 relatively flat acres, literally one of the first things I did was lay out an accurate 1/4 mile grass track.

Not long after, I found this place called runningahead.com and met a bunch of stupid people who ran and drank good beer.  Made some good friends. I still remember the time I was out on my tractor cutting the orchard and some random dude drove in, left something on my porch, and took off.  It was Trent doing a beer drop on his way through.

Some of them were local or within reasonable or wife-says-unreasonable driving distance.  One thing let to another and for several years I hosted a beer mile on said track with a drop dead amazing beer share following.  Potato Head set the record for longest trek to attend.

With limited summer weekends with the kids out of school, and taking a new role at work ~6 years ago which led to me spending 3+ months per year on the road, festivities stopped.  I think it's been 4-5 years.

With COVID things have changed and work will never be the same.  I don't expect I will need to return to such a travel schedule.  Perhaps it's time to revisit the event.  Elk is going to be in limited supply if I don't get another one however, the last one was 3 years ago.  Plenty of venison though.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yea, but the venison tastes like corn.

Feeling the growl again

Yea, but the venison tastes like corn.

Yeah.  Agreed.  But you have no idea the work per pound behind elk.  The last one I took I only got 50lb out of 200 out because the guy I took with my lost his mind.  I got 50lb of meat out with my 50lb of gear for a 100lb pack but he refused to take anything.  Actually a dangerous situation in grizzly country.  But I also have muley and antelope meat which is not corn taste.  Milder taste than elk but not corn.

Joann Y

I seem to recall a stripper pole, burgers, a cornfield and lots of beer but I guess that could have been just about anywhere on a drunken night in the midwest. wildwest.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey hey hey now. Please keep this thread on topic.

I seem to recall a stripper pole, burgers, a cornfield and lots of beer but I guess that could have been just about anywhere on a drunken night in the midwest.

Joann Y

Hey hey hey now. Please keep this thread on topic.

Better?

Feeling the growl again

I seem to recall a stripper pole, burgers, a cornfield and lots of beer but I guess that could have been just about anywhere on a drunken night in the midwest.

Wow.  For someone who did not directly participate, you have a great memory.  Yes, we have a fire pole/stripper pole in our living room.  I'm kind of scared you know this and I don't remember the context. You know you are getting old when the kids love it but your friends are afraid of breaking things.