The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Leaves have been pretty spectacular up there this year.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Leaves have been pretty spectacular up there this year.

They're spectacular every year. They'll still be spectacular when Covid is behind us. Tourons are F'ing stupid.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And see how well MI is doing? Yeah, our state GOP legislature is working to tie Big Gretch's hands and reverse all of her emergency orders and mask mandate so that we can look just like the state on the other side of Lake MI. It's not a coincidence that we're doing so well.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

But really, we should ask spaniel, because he is the only one that Mikkey respects.

You should be accustomed to the fact that nobody listens to their doctor.  And you are a doctor, and I am not.  In fact I left my doctorate with an MS.  So apparently I am more reliable.    To a guy whose first post ever to me (running related) was a total ignorant insulting pot-shot.

So I think you're good.

We really need to revisit the beer mile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

And see how well MI is doing? Yeah, our state GOP legislature is working to tie Big Gretch's hands and reverse all of her emergency orders and mask mandate so that we can look just like the state on the other side of Lake MI. It's not a coincidence that we're doing so well.

If you compare daily infection rates, and populations there is virtually no difference between Michigan and Indiana and Indiana has opened things up much more aggressively outside of Marion County (Indianapolis).  Seems the Michigan Supreme Court has decided that the Governor does not have indefinite rights to go around the legislative branch.  If such things are important it seems reasonable the state legislature should be able to pass appropriate laws with buy-in from both parties.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This post is filled with truths. No wonder you are so trustworthy.

You should be accustomed to the fact that nobody listens to their doctor.  And you are a doctor, and I am not.  In fact I left my doctorate with an MS.  So apparently I am more reliable.    To a guy whose first post ever to me (running related) was a total ignorant insulting pot-shot.

So I think you're good.

We really need to revisit the beer mile.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Time will tell if this was wise.

Indiana has opened things up much more aggressively outside of Marion County

My former MI county of residence, Oakland, went ahead and issued their own mask mandate.

Dave

If such things are important it seems reasonable the state legislature should be able to pass appropriate laws with buy-in from both parties.

Have you typically found state legislatures to act in a reasonable manner?

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My former MI county of residence, Oakland, went ahead and issued their own mask mandate.

I’m in Betsy DeVos country...it will never happen here.

~ Sarah Kay

I’m in Betsy DeVos country...it will never happen here.

Oh yes. Very appropriate this is the Wild West thread.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh yes. Very appropriate this is the Wild West thread.

More like the Mild West, here. Friggin’ Dutch with their bland palates...can’t get my favorite frozen pizza at Meijer, because it has jalapeños.

~ Sarah Kay

rlopez

As a resident of Marion County mentioned above, the whole thing has been extra weird. "Marion County" is basically code for "Indianapolis, not including the richer suburbs, which are in Hamilton and Hendricks counties". However, urban sprawl being what it is, has led to the fun situation where one side of a street... 96th street being the primary example... has had much tighter restrictions than the other side. 

Now, this has been the case for most of the past six months. I'm honestly not sure that the rates of infection have been higher/lower/different at all in the hoi polloi suburbs like Carmel, Fishers. Zionsville, etc. I mean, perhaps they have... but this hasn't been an item of journalistic interest, it seems. I honestly don't know.

It has been rather frustrating for those who work in certain industries because customers, especially those not from Indy, don't quite "get" that there has been a different set of restrictions in place. And the news is no help... all along, what they've reported has been the restrictions in place (or being added, or being lifted) at the state level. They *usually* quietly state "...Marion County is at a different level" to end the segment. But rarely do they cover Marion county's restrictions as a noteable note. Which is weird as Indy is a fair amount of their viewership.

And yeah, this means I had to boot a lot of folks who were treated differently about 5 miles up the road and didn't understand that our guidelines were way stricter. What a pain in the ass.

rlopez

Incidentally, these are some of the things that have occurred this week:

- Trump's potential tax fraud. - Trump rabid at the first debate. - White House becomes Covid hot spot. - Trump tested positive. - He went to events while sick. - We don't know how he's doing. - US cases again topped 50,000 in one day. - Wildfires continue - Senators get Covid. - Supreme Court nomination moves forward, but may stall due to Covid outbreak. - Questions continue around Breonna Taylor's case. - Reports confirmed homicides up by more than 50 percent in major cities. - Kimberly Guilfoyle's sexual misconduct settlement 
                              (words borrowed from a twitter friend)

Now, over the past two days, we have doctors (and/or Mark Meadows) lying/misspeaking about his condition and clearly talking around it... while also talking about releasing him back to the White House. And we have the president posting a short video clip and photos of him "working". Literally without makeup, which would be somewhat humanizing and maybe even endearing if the whole makeup thing wasn't such a "thing" over the past few years... and if I wasn't navigating people gasping that "OMG he looks so pale!" Well, no, he just doesn't have his spray tan on.

That is... a lot. I do not think it is a dumpster fire hot take to wonder what the actual reality is here and I do not feel a bit bad about wondering how much of this is manufactured. The whole presidency has been an exercise in fantasy-as-reality (and the opposite). Maybe it is totally legit, all on the level, but the doctors' Marx Brothers performances lead me to still wonder what's what.

MoBramExam

I do not think it is a dumpster fire hot take to wonder what the actual reality is here and I do not feel a bit bad about wondering how much of this is manufactured. The whole presidency has been an exercise in fantasy-as-reality (and the opposite). Maybe it is totally legit, all on the level, but the doctors' Marx Brothers performances lead me to still wonder what's what.

When did you move far right wing and stop listening to the doctors and experts???