The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Don't be afraid of Covid. If you get sick you can just take Marine One to Walter Reed for the best socialized medicine there is. All for just $750 in taxes.

Duh, he’s a politician and business guy (not to be confused with someone like the Pope).....so it’s pantomime and anything goes to win the election.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Don't be afraid of Covid. If you get sick you can just take Marine One to Walter Reed for the best socialized medicine there is. All for just $750 in taxes.

I don’t begrudge the President of the United States getting special treatment. But if his message coming out of this is basically don’t worry about COVID, we’ve got it all figured out—that’s fucked up. 

Dave

But if his message coming out of this is basically don’t worry about COVID, we’ve got it all figured out—that’s fucked up. 

That does indeed appear to be his message.

Runners run

Half Crazy K 2.0

I don’t begrudge the President of the United States getting special treatment. But if his message coming out of this is basically don’t worry about COVID, we’ve got it all figured out—that’s fucked up. 

I can't even put into good words how pissed off I am about his message. 200k people are dead. No, we don't have this figured out.

The worst part is I know the asshole in charge is not going to bother wearing a mask or modeling social distancing after this since he is now immune.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've got my popcorn for when the steroids wear off. I've been on that drug during chemo (primarily to head-off nausea). The very best I felt during each 2 week cycle was the 40ish or so hours that that nasty shit was active in my system. The only thing that kept me from going out for a long run or bike ride was a brick-like 46 hour infusion pump connected to a port in my chest that prevented me from wearing a sports bra.

But when that drug wore off so that I could feel the full effects of chemo...I felt like death (and I was fit and only 44, not 74 and dependent upon a golf cart). It gave me energy, but I also couldn't think remotely straight. No way would I have felt safe driving myself around, much less making critical decisions.

Can they keep him on this drug for long? I suspect not. Steroids hijack a person's immune system, so I'm guessing staying on steroids would do more harm than good after a relatively short time. He may be in for a very steep learning curve.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ah, he’s fine. Tip top condition. Nevermind he just tweeted 15 times in a row stuck on all-caps, that’s perfectly normal among alpha males. And ummm... that one that said “Space Force. Vote”, ummm... that was totally sane.

Ah, he’s fine. Tip top condition. Nevermind he just tweeted 15 times in a row stuck on all-caps, that’s perfectly normal among alpha males. And ummm... that one that said “Space Force. Vote”, ummm... that was totally sane.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

NEJM pulls no punches.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Runners run

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Running Problem

Problem Child

Didn't the Duke study show that neck gaiters are worse than nothing? This study says they block 77% of droplets. I thought the point of the masks was to prevent the spread by droplets spreading through the air. That's why we have to wear masks isn't it? So we don't spread it that 6 feet that droplets can travel, or am I wrong?

EDIT: Towards the end of the article it says a neck gaiter is 10% effective at stopping 0.5 micron particles. To put this into perspective, the air quality index run by the EPA would only report this as PM 2.5 which is 5 times bigger. They block 50% of 1 micron and PM 2.5 is double the size of that. Apparently they're pretty good if the Air Quality Index is 150+.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Duke study was flawed. The lead investigator even came out explaining that the study being interpreted as neck gators are bad was not what the research actually studied.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

As Trent says.

But also, keep in mind that there is a scientific efficacy vs a practical efficacy.  If something gives the illusion of more protection than it really offers, but thereby encourages more risky behavior, then the net effect is bad, even if scientifically it is better than nothing.

Lambskin condoms vs HIV being a good case study.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My daughter and I trekked around New England this week to see the foliage, which was beautiful.  It's reassuring being in the three states (Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont) with the lowest rates of infection in the country.  Vermont is VERY strict.  B&Bs won't take walkins.  You have to make reservations for dinner.  People who aren't from New England or not from safe counties even in the region have to sign a statement that they have quarantined for two weeks.  Our county is safe, so we didn't have to do that.

I don't think we saw a single person in four days not wearing a mask in public.