The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

rlopez

I still have not mastered this. Any tips?

If you mean the fogging thing, not really. Definitely wear masks with the bendy metal across the bridge of your nose and pinch that down a little. I used to spend a significant portion of my day going in and out of a 40 degree beer cooler. I simply had to take my mask off inside to do work. Nowadays, big temperature/humidity shifts... like walking outside from a nice ACed building... floofs them. I just deal. When everything equalizes, it goes away. For me.

I'm sorry, but diving used to be part of what I did for a living and the "spit in the mask" thing kind of works for that but is somewhat impractical in the real world of glasses and professional environments. You can also try "cat crap" or a similar product that folks use on ski goggles. Yes, that's the name, I did not name it.

When diving, I didn't do the spit thing. I'd use a solution that had a teeny amount of dawn or palmolive in it. Worked fine.

rlopez

That shouldn't be a problem for ya.

I see what you did here, but most folks will not. HA

rlopez

Just one?

Actually, I have two knives, which is all I need <3

Feeling the growl again

I don't man.  Let's make it condoms to prevent STDs.

One person is saying "Yeah, I never wear a condom.  They're for the weak."

The other person says, "Wear a condom."  But puts it on wrong a few times.

Science says abstinence is the only 100% solution.

One person got herpes.  The other one might get it too.  But is there a meaningful difference between the two?

Poor analogy.  For one thing, Trump does wear a mask.  Not as much as he should, but that's a false flag, it's really the social distancing behaviors that are the issue.  Are we going to criticize Harris now that members of her enourage are now positive?  CDC report says 85% of infected report being consistent mask wearers.  Yet the head of the CDC recently said masks are more effective than a potential vaccine.  Y'all reconcile all of this with science?  Because these are our "experts".  Please share your data indicating that masks are really strong preventers of COVID.  I and the literature agree they're better than nothing but I challenge this litmus test it has become.

For another, Pelosi is a leader, not an average villager.  I made that post because this community made fun of "dick-noses", then one of their own leaders exhibited that behavior.  Leaders are held to a different standard.  I'm saying they both failed and you're making excuses for your favored party.

Let me be clear, throughout this particular thread, I have called faults as I see them on both sides.  My common theme has been calling out behaviors which ignore facts/science in favor of political bias.  Given one side is more vocal than the other I understand I may appear more to one side than the other but I'm really calling out faults as I see them and I am equally hateful to both parties falsely claiming their primary concern is us.  Their primary concern is being elected and the power their party retains.

On the flip side, the current administration has made unprecedented investment through Warp Drive in accelerating therapeutic efforts against COVID.  The feds did nothing like this during SARS or any prior pandemic.  I don't appreciate some of the politicization which has resulted but the bottom line is that it actually has accelerated development of vaccines and other therapies.  And despite some recent setbacks in the news I'm hopeful there will be meaningful outcomes soon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I haven't visited in a while. Are people STILL confused about the purpose of masks?!

They keep stuff from SPREADING, they don't do as well at keeping stuff OUT.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Poor analogy.  For one thing, Trump does wear a mask.  Not as much as he should, but that's a false flag, it's really the social distancing behaviors that are the issue.  Are we going to criticize Harris now that members of her enourage are now positive?  CDC report says 85% of infected report being consistent mask wearers.

Warp Drive . . .

Meh.  Trump wore a mask in public a sparse number of times.  Perhaps he wore it in private much more.  To your point, Trump is a public figure.  His value toward the virus is more in convincing the public of a good course of action than in protecting the 50 people in his bubble -- which is statistically insignificant.  Same with Pelosi.  The difference being, her message "Masks are good -- even though I fail at times."  His message "Masks are bullshit.  But I wear one sometimes."  I'm sure you can "objectively" note the difference.

That being said: no prophylactic is perfect.  I'm sure you understand that someone who takes precautions and someone who does not can both catch COVID.  Doesn't mean they are equal.

Warp Drive -- yep.  Good stuff.  Not really sure what is substantively behind it, but I would like to think the extra resources, and slightly lower bar for acceptance, is beneficial to solving this problem.  As SARS never became as deadly, I don't think a direct comparison can be made.  If we spent 1,000% more money on a SARS cure, only to find it whimper to a non-concern, I'm sure people would object to their taxes ill spent.  No?

And if SARS took the same trajectory as COVID, and a "Warp Speed" was not pursued, we could certainly condemn Obama.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Yes, let's absolutely contrast the way the Biden campaign has handled positive covid cases in its orbit with the way Trump has.

Runners run

Yooper3.1

CDC report says 85% of infected report being consistent mask wearers. 

The purpose of a mask is to protect others, not the wearer.  This report doesn't really indicate how effective masks are for this purpose (i.e., the infected 85% wearing masks may have been close to people who were not wearing masks).

The report might indicate that wearing a mask gives a person a false sense of security, so that he gets closer to others than he would have if he were not wearing a mask.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The purpose of a mask is to protect others, not the wearer.  This report doesn't really indicate how effective masks are for this purpose (i.e., the infected 85% wearing masks may have been close to people who were not wearing masks).

Wouldn't that 85% also include high risk healthcare professionals and hospital workers?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The report might indicate that wearing a mask gives a person a false sense of security, so that he gets closer to others than he would have if he were not wearing a mask.

I guess everyone will get vaccinated to protect me from COVID 19 with the same logic. I haven't felt any safer with people around me wearing a mask when it was optional, or mandated, and I believe there is plenty of proof the airborne virus can spread through most of the masks people are wearing AND farther than 6 feet. I'm sure the 85% was the "dick nose" folks those here loved to mention and not the people going out for a walk with their friend who then tests positive....and decries those who aren't doing enough to stop the spread.

I just support going back to March and April levels of lockdown. Close all the businesses that have opened because the virus is more important and people aren't willing to do what it takes. Starbucks, McDonalds, Home Depot, Auto Parts stores, Walmart, libraries, parks, retail stores, restaurants, bars, all of it. This includes closing all outdoor recreation with zero tolerance. Otherwise we're never going to be safe from COVID 19. The vaccine isn't going to save us because 100% of people won't get it and if people can't wear masks to stop the spread how are you going to say a vaccine will? All the information provided in this thread is proof of just how few people will get the vaccine. I'm sure plenty of people won't get it just because Joe Biden won the election and they're upset about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/switzerland-s-yodelers-created-one-of-europe-s-worst-covid-hot-spots/ar-BB1a5QaT?ocid=uxbndlbing

Meanwhile in Switzerland...

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Blinded by Scientism

Short essay written by John O. McGinnis, the George C. Dix Professor in Constitutional Law at Northwestern University.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Blinded by Scientism

Short essay written by John O. McGinnis, the George C. Dix Professor in Constitutional Law at Northwestern University.

I love that the link in the first line of the article throws a 404.

Of course policy responses to the pandemic are political decisions, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be informed by science. And zero states have had "lock downs".

Runners run

Half Crazy K 2.0

I saw something today talking about the Swiss Cheese Model & Covid. Makes a lot of sense. Too bad I don't have a lot of faith that all these can be functional. But with the mask discussion, it's not perfect and is better in combination with distancing, ventilation, hand washing, etc.

In other fun covid related stuff, there was an article that mentioned the need to wash cloth face masks after use. I saw a twitter discussion where people were admitting to not washing theirs. Ever. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

^^ Swiss cheese. Exactly.

This adaptive approach is often referred to in science and medicine as "the swiss cheese model". One piece of swiss cheese has holes. Two stacked pieces together will cover some of the holes. Three pieces cover even more holes. If you want to close off all the holes, you need several pieces of cheese. To be clear, this is a metaphor and not a recommendation that stacking swiss cheese per se will protect you against COVID.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Blinded by Scientism

So now we hate for facts to get in the way of politics?