The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Feeling the growl again

Let's play it your way.  Let's count every time Pelosi violated CDC prescription.  Now, let's count Trump.

This game will end due to the Slaughter Rule.  I mean, if you're going to be fair about it.

You're really just validating my point.  Both sides screwed up and neither are following their own rules.  If I accept your characterizations of Trump I'd actually call Pelosi's violations more severe, since she pretends to hold more extreme beliefs in masks than Trump so at least he isn't violating the beliefs he puts in public so much.   Now following "CDC prescription", are these the ones which early on told us not to wear masks, or where the CDC told us masks are better than a vaccine, despite numerous published studies characterizing the limitations of masks?  Because to the impartial but highly educated molecular biologist this whole thing stinks due to the inconsistency in guidance.  I'm not calling the CDC incompetent, but this is what happens in a rapidly evolving situation of scientific uncertainty influenced by a heavy dose of politics.

Dick-nosing is speeches and no mask in a salon which isn't legally supposed to be providing her service...yet you support this?  The minions didn't get access to that salon.  Mask or no.

We can debate the proper position here.  But once you take one, violating it makes you the hypocrite.  It's pretty obvious why there was an outbreak in Trump's inner circle given their position.  But Pelosi took a very different public stance, yet has exhibited really orthogonal behaviors.  You really can't equate the two.  If you fail to call out Pelosi for her behaviors it exposes you as a partisan.  Kinda feel like a broken record that i'm calling out both sides here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You really can't equate the two.

Finally, we agree.

MTA: sorry, that's not fair.  It's a cheap debate tactic to make you look the fool by quoting you in slant context.  Apologies.  Let me try better:

I was referring to whatever the current CDC guidance is at the time.  Yep it changed.  As it should.  Fluid situation.  Might change in the future.  As a scientist, I'm sure you would appreciate that.

Is someone who advocates a policy, but personally violates it in several instances a better public advocate than someone who flouts the best advice science has to offer and encourages others to do so?  Do you think the Marlborough Man measures the same as the actor who makes an anti-smoking ad, but sneaks a cigs on the weekend?

So, to be clear: yep, I fault Pelosi for violating her own policy recommendations.  But that's peanuts compared to Trump never following, and often advocating against, his administration's (CDC is under the executive branch, flowing from his appointed cabinet) recommendation.

So, I return to my original version of this post: "You really can't equate the two."  Here we agree.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

Finally, we agree.

MTA: sorry, that's not fair.  It's a cheap debate tactic to make you look the fool by quoting you in slant context.  Apologies.  Let me try better:

I was referring to whatever the current CDC guidance is at the time.  Yep it changed.  As it should.  Fluid situation.  Might change in the future.  As a scientist, I'm sure you would appreciate that.

Is someone who advocates a policy, but personally violates it in several instances a better public advocate than someone who flouts the best advice science has to offer and encourages others to do so?  Do you think the Marlborough Man measures the same as the actor who makes an anti-smoking ad, but sneaks a cigs on the weekend?

So, to be clear: yep, I fault Pelosi for violating her own policy recommendations.  But that's peanuts compared to Trump never following, and often advocating against, his administration's (CDC is under the executive branch, flowing from his appointed cabinet) recommendation.

So, I return to my original version of this post: "You really can't equate the two."  Here we agree.

I draw a distinction between people who do what they claim they think is right, and those who do otherwise.  We can the debate what we think is right.  The disconnect between belief and actions is something to be debated.

The CDC and Surgeon General have gone between stating masks were not necessary, to saying masks were better than a vaccine.  At what time point do you want me to believe them?  Clearly it's an evolving situation, but apparently the President is not allowed to consider this.  Meanwhile Pelosi attended a closed salon without a mask but that doesn't concern you.

Yet, as a trained scientist, you minimize me.  I don't have a damn clue what you do for a living, but because I challenge the democratic platform, I am clearly less intelligent than you, despite having shared enough information to show I'm leap years ahead in understanding these issues than you.  So I abscond.  I'm going to vote tomorrow, and I'm not going to share further information here as it's clearly not a value added exercise.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Clearly it's an evolving situation, but apparently the President is not allowed to consider this.  Meanwhile Pelosi attended a closed salon without a mask but that doesn't concern you.

Hey, if the president tracked with the CDC's evolving option, I'd consider that perfectly reasonable.  I've repeatedly said Pelosi was at fault for her violations.  But I guess you can try repeating that I haven't.  I cannot really tell if you're being willfully dishonest or maybe just skimming.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that I minimized any of your scientific contributions (I've even solicited your opinion on drugs in the past), though epidemiology and public health don't seem to be your strong suit.  Also, I'm not a Democrat, thanks.

Maybe you're just arguing with someone else.

Enjoy voting; make sure to wear a mask! Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

rlopez

I draw a distinction between people who do what they claim they think is right, and those who do otherwise.  We can the debate what we think is right.  The disconnect between belief and actions is something to be debated.

The CDC and Surgeon General have gone between stating masks were not necessary, to saying masks were better than a vaccine.  At what time point do you want me to believe them?  Clearly it's an evolving situation, but apparently the President is not allowed to consider this.  Meanwhile Pelosi attended a closed salon without a mask but that doesn't concern you.

Yet, as a trained scientist, you minimize me.  I don't have a damn clue what you do for a living, but because I challenge the democratic platform, I am clearly less intelligent than you, despite having shared enough information to show I'm leap years ahead in understanding these issues than you.  So I abscond.  I'm going to vote tomorrow, and I'm not going to share further information here as it's clearly not a value added exercise.

Uh, he didn't do any of that.

As for what the president is/isn't "allowed" to consider. It is really hard to think that you wish to have a valid discussion when you use words like that. The president is "allowed" to consider whatever he chooses. Whether that is what he should be considering is another matter, and there is a long list of hundreds of things that show the current president considers really really unhelpful things. And tweets about them. To the exclusion of doing any actual work.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Uh, he didn't do any of that.

As for what the president is/isn't "allowed" to consider. It is really hard to think that you wish to have a valid discussion when you use words like that. The president is "allowed" to consider whatever he chooses. Whether that is what he should be considering is another matter, and there is a long list of hundreds of things that show the current president considers really really unhelpful things. And tweets about them. To the exclusion of doing any actual work.

This is my number one reason why tweeting needs to become a forgotten action and the website needs to shut down.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

These are direct quotes from Trump today:

“People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots”

"He’ll listen to the scientists" (meant as an insult to Biden)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjBT_TuUVA&feature=emb_logo

(Youtube video is "wear a mask" parody)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is my number one reason why tweeting needs to become a forgotten action and the website needs to shut down.

Or...world leaders and other adults could simply behave appropriately to their chosen position.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Running Problem

Problem Child

Or...world leaders and other adults could simply behave appropriately to their chosen position.

You have made it crystal clear this is impossible. Interesting view though after being on the internet I've learned this is incapable. If you don't believe me feel free to look up this Face Page thing where people show photos of what they're doing or selling and adults act much like toddlers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

This was Trump today:

“People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots”

"He’ll listen to the scientists" (meant as an insult to Biden)

"I go to a rally we have 25,000 people. He goes to a rally and he has four people."

Here was Biden today:

"I'll do the opposite of what Trump says he will do."

Is he going to call Donald for advice in February?

I'm not shocked more people want to see the President speak, according to the President, than a former Vice President.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

You should join the rest of us in putting cat on ignore. Life is simpler that way.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

What's a twitter?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, Jeffrey Toobin just demonstrated why you have to be careful on Zoom calls...

rlopez

the toobin snake boogie

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.