The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You have absolutely no idea what I do.

Chew gum?

Cheer for the Cubs?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Juicy Fruit was always my favourite!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

That’s exactly what I thought.  In the UK we are strongly advised to stay at home and only travel to a different town if it’s essential for work. Maybe it’s different in the US.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/31/gov-cuomo-says-all-travelers-must-get-tested-for-covid-19/

depends where you live. If you're going to New York (third lowest COVID 19 infections currently) and you're in one of four states you can come and go as you please. If you come from anywhere else you have to test negative 3 days before, quarantine for 3 days, then on the 4th day you have to test negative. I'm not sure what the point of the first test is since you're required to quarantine at home with a positive test OR a negative test, and a negative test on day 4 is what grants you freedom. I just know it's going to SUCK if you get it on a plane and you're stuck quarantining in New York for two weeks and you can't go anywhere. Might want to pack two weeks of food.

Trent Interesting prediction for COVID 19. I still think Joe Biden is going to fix it within the first 100 days. I don't think Trump is ever going to be able to fix it if he gets re-elected.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

What is this “work” you speak of?  As I’ve already mentioned, I haven’t had a damn job for nine months, and spending five to six days a week in the woods by myself exposes myself and others to covid less than if I was here in my urban setting where getting fresh air means being close to people on sidewalks and bike and running paths.

Interesting because National Parks were closed back in March, April and May because social distancing wasn't possible. Oh and plenty of people were rushing to them because outdoor recreation is exempt from wearing a mask. Gavin Newsom even said so.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355

current list of closed parks.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gavin-newsom-to-close-all-california-becahes-state-parks-memo

This caused a LOT of events to cancel. All because of COVID 19. You are just as much at risk of COVID 19 as urban settings. You should still protect others from yourself by wearing a mask.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You think all woods are in crowded national parks?  Our cabin is in the Maine mountains.  I am sure there was not a person nearer than a mile to us all weekend (just our lot is 48 acres).  We did see two moose and a deer, though.

If things get really bad, we will just hang out up there for awhile.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That’s exactly what I thought.  In the UK we are strongly advised to stay at home and only travel to a different town if it’s essential for work. Maybe it’s different in the US.

It very much depends on where you live in the US, as Brewing noted.  Here's an example of how complicated it gets

I live in the state of Virginia, but regularly travel into and run in Washington DC, which is a separate district.  Virginia has no travel restrictions; DC has a LONG list (42 out of the 50 states) where, if you travel for "non-essential" reasons, you must quarantine for 2 weeks when you return.

I am hoping to travel to Florida in December to run a race.  Florida is one of the 42 states that DC restricts travel to/from.  Which means that if I run my race in Florida, for two weeks after I will need to modify my running routine to stay in Virginia and outside of DC.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You think all woods are in crowded national parks?  Our cabin is in the Maine mountains.  I am sure there was not a person nearer than a mile to us all weekend (just our lot is 48 acres).  We did see two moose and a deer, though.

If things get really bad, we will just hang out up there for awhile.

No. I don't think all the woods are crowded national parks. YES I think it's possible to catch COVID 19 while in the remote woods. YES I think Wrigley is putting him/herself at risk by visiting towns she's not a resident of and not socially distancing and ALSO think it's naive to think she won't catch it living along the AZ trail, or wherever else it is, since it's airborne and can live on surfaces, etc. I also think there is no problem with people wearing gloves in the streets of New York City because it protects others from them just like all that talk about why medical professionals wear PPE back in April when there were no fask mask mandates.

This is exactly what happened in March when the news talked about hospitals being overwhelmed. Small cities like Mammoth, CA were being filled with people not from the area going to their second home to "quarantine" for three weeks. Gee I can't imagine why COVID 19 doesn't stop spreading when people don't stay HOME and stay safe. They go to their vacation home until things blow over. They don't worry about the community they're impacting by becoming a new resident. Imagine if everyone with a vacation home in Maine felt the same way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alarming-covid-19-surge-in-tahoe-linked-to-tourists-el-dorado-county-calls-emergency-meeting/ar-BB16sq4Y

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8598839/Lake-Tahoe-father-begs-tourists-home-10-year-old-son-fights-life-coronavirus.html

https://laist.com/latest/post/20200319/california-mountain-towns-declare-keep-out

So go ahead and wait it out up in your cabin. I'm sure it's so remote you'll encounter no one and anyone who thinks the same way will have the same result. Maybe everyone should just take a vacation to a remote mountain area this winter until COVID 19 blows over. Maybe then we can stop the spread because everyone will be isolated.

VDOT 53.37 

Juicy Fruit was always my favourite!

You and the Chief.

Dave

COVID will be gone in 2 days.

Yup, there is a button in the White Horse that the next president will push and release the cure. If only he could remember where it is.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

His wife will tell him.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well you can't ACTUALLY say it's going to be over unless you're a Trump supporter. He seems to think the results ON Election Day are the only ones we need to count. I'm sure if he loses he'll call Joe and congratulate him on his landslide victory.

EDIT: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uk-testing-every-person-in-liverpool-for-virus/ar-BB1aEmNT?ocid=msedgdhp

About time. Eventually America will catch up to the way other countries are doing things.

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yup, there is a button in the White Horse that the next president will push and release the cure. If only he could remember where it is.

Does that mean we have to wait until Inauguration Day?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

100 days.

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

The electoral college releases the cure when they do their thing.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m going to miss the orange racist guy as he was box office entertainment and the media loved him!

The new fella is a safe pair of hands (apart from the occasional gaffe). Although describing Obama as the first African American who is articulate bright and clean wasn’t his best moment.