The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And...there may be people who are NOT anti-vaxxers but should wait on this one.  As I think I've mentioned before, my mother had Guillain-Barre about 12 years ago.  She is very pro-vaccine in general, but is very unlikely to get the Covid vaccine now or ever.  Honestly, given my own auto-immune weirdness and my family history, I'm likely going to wait a year or two unless my primary care and my rheumatologist agree I should get it.  With any new vaccine, there are going to be possibilities that have not been ruled out.  And you have to weigh the benefits of the vaccine against the risks for individuals.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I trust my PCP and will follow her recommendations for me.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Darkwave - that's a sensible approach. I don't think people should be forced to get one. My point was just that the government shouldn't continue lockdowns if there is a segment of the population who doesn't want to get one without a medical reason besides "let's see how this goes." Clearly if the risk of getting the vaccine is high or higher than your risk of catching it, you shouldn't get one and continue to isolate. My concern is that not enough healthy, able-bodied people will get the vaccine to protect people like yourself who actually should not get it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Gotta love idiots who have a public Facebook page (Mainers against Mask Mandates - check it out if you want your blood pressure to go up) where they discuss their plan to shop at several grocery stores in Maine on Sunday as a group, not wearing masks.  One of my Facebook friends notified the store, and the other contacted the Maine CDC.  The CDC have notified the state police.  I imagine the group will go private now, but maybe they'll get the message.  Argh.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Running Problem

Problem Child

CNN is reporting John Hopkins numbers on the virus. 

10,361,918 total cases nationally

240,782 deaths

so about a 2.4% mortality rate. Is this accurate or are they trying to push away any sort of mask mandate. 2.4% mortality rate nationally according to John Hopkins numbers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Prince of Fatness

I imagine the group will go private now, but maybe they'll get the message

They won’t.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

They won’t.

Yeah, I'm sure.  They took a screenshot of my post in a Facebook group and shared it on their page.  So far I've gotten one nasty message from one of their members and I imagine I'll get more. Ha, I'm a moderator on a different site plus on a couple of Boards of Directors, so I can take it.  Smile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I look forward to the news article on Monday morning.  ‘Crazy anti anti vaxxer crowd protests outside grocery store’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For Freddie fans....

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I saw a photo of a sign that read, "If you don't like the mask, you're gonna hate the ventilator."  That's what I keep telling my dad - he was intubated TWICE early this year and finally signed a DNR order so he wouldn't have to go through that experience again.  He made a miraculous recovery and is now going to church (singing loudly) and dining in restaurants and there's nothing I can do about it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Meanwhile, In Tokyo...

https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2020/11/12/tokyo-olympics-athletes-to-be-exempted-from-two-week-quarantine

Olympic athletes can come participate without a 14 day quarantine, BUT the spectators can't because a 14 day quarantine for that number of people is impossible.  America is facing more lockdowns and Tokyo is inviting athletes from all over the world to participate together.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2020/11/06/hawaii-launches-pre-travel-testing-for-japan.html

I guess it makes sense since Japanese can bypass travel restrictions to Hawaii.

What layer of swiss cheese is this? The one where the special people don't have to follow the rules everyone else does?  For the sake of the economy we need to bypass the quarantine periods and let people come spend their uninfected dollars. This makes logical sense as cases are ramping up all across the nation and schools are shutting down to increase social distancing and reduce the spread. Talk all the trash we want about leaders of our country/state/counties. To me this is a giant dick nose. Might as well have the New York Marathon and New Years Eve ball drop in Times Square. (facepalm)

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Meanwhile, In Tokyo...

https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2020/11/12/tokyo-olympics-athletes-to-be-exempted-from-two-week-quarantine

Olympic athletes can come participate without a 14 day quarantine, BUT the spectators can't because a 14 day quarantine for that number of people is impossible.  America is facing more lockdowns and Tokyo is inviting athletes from all over the world to participate together.

There was a 4 country friendly gymnastics meet in Tokyo last weekend with the US, Russia, Japan and China. It doesn't sound like the US athletes quarantined before hand. They did have to have a negative test before traveling. Once there, there were strict rules to limit mingling among countries--you couldn't share an elevator with someone from another country, countries were on separate floors of the hotel, had separate training times, etc. It sounds like part of this was to see if you could pull off a competition, but also to hold something in the Olympic venue.

I'm wondering if they think the Olympics are going to happen if they will limit the size of delegations.

And on the note of the Olympics, are they going to try to control the post competition activities? Or just tell them use the provided condoms & mask up?

robin from maine

Good thing I don't need to and hadn't planned to go grocery shopping tomorrow.

But the Governor says that maskless shoppers can be arrested for trespassing, and also sued if someone gets sick. Since this is planned and deliberate, I would think that a lawsuit from someone who is in one of those stores and becomes seriously ill would have a good chance of succeeding.

Gotta love idiots who have a public Facebook page (Mainers against Mask Mandates - check it out if you want your blood pressure to go up) where they discuss their plan to shop at several grocery stores in Maine on Sunday as a group, not wearing masks.  One of my Facebook friends notified the store, and the other contacted the Maine CDC.  The CDC have notified the state police.  I imagine the group will go private now, but maybe they'll get the message.  Argh.