The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If A and B have been tested, then you can actually take their test samples and determine if 1. the strains of corona virus are related and 2. which one is the ancestor.

NY Times actually did this type of analysis on some of its and other reporters who cover the Whitehouse and came down with Covid-19. They didn't have access to tests of government officials and guests, but those analyzing the DNA evidence had some interesting comments.  It is a way to trace the spread with people who may not be honest/forth coming with contact tracing...

Oooh... that would actually address the causation problem, if you could analyze the tests of both customer A and customer B (of course, customer B might not have ever gotten tested).

You'd still run into the issues of a) why didn't customer A leave the store when customer B walked in without a mask and with an obvious intent to spread the virus and b) the litigation likely not being financially justified - are you going to spend $20-50K in legal bills for the possibility of winning a case against someone with $10K in savings?

Also, not a lawyer, communications & business law classes seemed to focus more on libel vs slander than anything else. Anyway, could the maskless people be sued for loss of business? I assume this would be civil? So if you have to close the store down for X hours, plus pay for a cleaning, can this be passed on to the maskholes?

I think such a suit is possible.  But again, legal bills + court costs + time spent litigating would likely far outweigh the costs from the temporary loss of business.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

(good general rule of thumb - nobody wins in litigation.   It is a messy stressful expensive process that very rarely results in the winner being better off than they were before the litigation.  This is why many times cases will be settled even when there is a clear winner.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Then I would have to wear a mask AND earplugs!

Even better if they sang show tunes and tossed glitter as they rolled towards one...  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This type of testing is not generally available.

If A and B have been tested, then you can actually take their test samples and determine if 1. the strains of corona virus are related and 2. which one is the ancestor...

Running Problem

Problem Child

This type of testing is not generally available.

nailed it.

EDIT:

https://theprint.in/world/german-chancellor-angela-merkel-plans-stricter-rules-to-curb-covid-19-spread/545460/

Meanwhile, in Germany it's now illegal for me to meet with my family for dinner like I've been doing for the past 10 years. I really wish America would do more things the way Europe does them. Maybe this is what it would take for Americans to finally get rid of COVID 19 because the vaccine doesn't spread like COVID 19 does and with everyone wearing masks it couldn't anyways.

Oh yeah...good for thee and not for me.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/editorials/article247181176.html

Gavin Newsome proves he is above the law when it comes to COVID 19 restrictions. I'll take a maskhole over a hypycrite of a Governor.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Julia1971

Oooh... that would actually address the causation problem, if you could analyze the tests of both customer A and customer B (of course, customer B might not have ever gotten tested).

You'd still run into the issues of a) why didn't customer A leave the store when customer B walked in without a mask and with an obvious intent to spread the virus and b) the litigation likely not being financially justified - are you going to spend $20-50K in legal bills for the possibility of winning a case against someone with $10K in savings?

I think there's still a causation issue, though.  I don't know that each virus is unique like DNA or a fingerprint.  Google is telling me there are 6 strains of Covid and if that's what the test shows - just the strain you have - then I would think Customer A would still have to prove no one else they had contact with in the past 2 weeks, including everyone else in the store except Customer B, had that strain.

My degrees from the People Court, Judge Judy, and Investigation Discovery Channel universities say it's not likely to succeed.

mikeymike

Runners run

Apparently there is a Q-level conspiracy spreading among the victims of political manipulation that postulates the companies developing vaccines purposely held back so it would be available only after the US president was replaced. (a victim of such conspiracies just relayed that info to me)

Which makes zero sense in any way, since this is the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed and made available to the public. I think 4 years was the previous record? We're looking at Spring 2021 for widespread distribution, that's 1.5 years. From day one experts said that an effective vaccine may be at least two years off.

But conversely, anyone worried about this rush to market resulting in undiscovered side effects, MOST of us won't have access to it for several months after Healthcare professionals, Military, Senior Citizens in nursing homes, essential workers, etc. have had the vaccine, so by the time WE can get it most of the side effects or other issues will have surfaced.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

Apparently there is a Q-level conspiracy spreading among the victims of political manipulation that postulates the companies developing vaccines purposely held back so it would be available only after the US president was replaced. (a victim of such conspiracies just relayed that info to me)

Which makes zero sense in any way, since this is the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed and made available to the public. I think 4 years was the previous record? We're looking at Spring 2021 for widespread distribution, that's 1.5 years. From day one experts said that an effective vaccine may be at least two years off.

But conversely, anyone worried about this rush to market resulting in undiscovered side effects, MOST of us won't have access to it for several months after Healthcare professionals, Military, Senior Citizens in nursing homes, essential workers, etc. have had the vaccine, so by the time WE can get it most of the side effects or other issues will have surfaced.

Not exactly asinine. Dr Faucci said he'd be happy with 70% and we never heard a word about the success rate of the vaccine until after the election. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/moderna-covid-vaccine-94-percent-effective_n_5fb2a3e8c5b6f79d60197f30 Days later we have TWO vaccines at 90% effective rate or better. It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see their side of things. If Trump won re-election I'm sure people would be in the streets saying we'd never see a COVID 19 vaccine and the media just stopped covering it due to Trump's orders as President. Again, not too far of a stretch to see where people get the idea.

Those essential workers in New York and California, and some other states, are going to be 30 days behind everyone else because their Governors have said after the vaccine is released the states will review it before anyone gets it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sweden abandons the Swedish model 

50-300 people publically? Please.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-oregon-two-week-pause-restrictions/283-e42fe134-db44-47a4-9cbb-8fd3725c6489

I can't have Thanksgiving dinner because a party of 6 is too large in Oregon. Sucks when I try to invite my Brother to my son's birthday party and he's a party of 5. Gavin Newsom's recent birthday celebration for one of his lobbyists wouldn't even fit the Oregon lockdown and all HE did was apologize.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/11/06/coronavirus-oregon-restrictions-social-gatherings/

This speech is almost word for word what my Governor (not from Oregon) gave the same day.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/us/california-covid-cases-increase-new-measures/index.html

Apparently if you're out past 10pm you'll catch COVID 19 in Rhode Island. California too.

Sweden's lockdown is America's summertime. Sweden isn't limiting family gatherings, and restaurants are parties of 8 for each table. I went out this weekend and we can only have 50% capacity with an empty table between us.

EDIT: oh yeah....my state only has an 18% vaccination rate for the flu. Impressive seeing as how I've heard for years I need to get my flu shot. Who was it who said 20-30% of people get vaccinated? I'm hoping for another 9 months of quarantine and stricter lockdowns before anyone can go out. seriously.

https://reliefweb.int/report/fiji/fiji-reaches-covid-19-milestone-remains-vigilant

We need to be like FIJI. Whatever THEY did WORKED. Every country should be asking how they can be like FIJI.

"The Pacific nation confirmed its first case on 19 March, and as of Nov 4, 2020, Fiji had recorded a total of 34 cases and two deaths. Its last instance of transmission in the community was April 18th 2020."

VDOT 53.37 

robin from maine

Running Problem

Problem Child

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

https://reliefweb.int/report/fiji/fiji-reaches-covid-19-milestone-remains-vigilant

We need to be like FIJI. Whatever THEY did WORKED. Every country should be asking how they can be like FIJI.

"The Pacific nation confirmed its first case on 19 March, and as of Nov 4, 2020, Fiji had recorded a total of 34 cases and two deaths. Its last instance of transmission in the community was April 18th 2020."

Small island, easy to restrict access to and from it.

I think the countries doing better than the US are doing a far better job at testing, contacts tracing & isolating patients. South Korea made efforts to track down every single person at nightclubs that someone who had covid visited. Here in the US, we only care about who you were within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes (and even that is being publicly flaunted, see the Rose Garden event). They also have systems in place for getting food/resources to those who need to isolate. I think a lot of these other countries also have real penalties for not following rules.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Small island, easy to restrict access to and from it.

I think the countries doing better than the US are doing a far better job at testing, contacts tracing & isolating patients. South Korea made efforts to track down every single person at nightclubs that someone who had covid visited. Here in the US, we only care about who you were within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes (and even that is being publicly flaunted, see the Rose Garden event). They also have systems in place for getting food/resources to those who need to isolate. I think a lot of these other countries also have real penalties for not following rules.

Closed borders. Check IDs at the state line in locations such as agriculture checkpoints. Close airports. It's just two weeks. The world won't collapse.

I think they're doing better too. America just has too much anger and disagreement "for the sake of disagreement" going on to really come together and work on this. Sad when 9/11 was just a short time ago and it seems like the LAST time America worked together for anything. Now we care about "likes" and "followers" for our "covid cover" videos.

EDIT: Buddy just moved to South Korea. With a negative test within 3 days before travel he was still required to quarantine in a hotel room for 14 days. Just makes me wonder what a negative test is for if you have to quarantine regardless.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Those essential workers in New York and California, and some other states, are going to be 30 days behind everyone else because their Governors have said after the vaccine is released the states will review it before anyone gets it.

Gov. Cuomo indicated that their review would happen simultaneously with the Federal government, not after, so there would be no delay for those states.  That was a few days ago...maybe things have changed since then.