The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Why on earth would you think that? As partisan stuff goes, it seems like science would guide an incoming pandemic for normal-thinking people. Your assertion is far fetched.

I think our political system is so screwed up that nothing seems to get either party to agree with the other, so it would take some crazy scenario for that to happen. Common sense would say a pandemic should have the scientists and doctors (infectious disease, not neuro-radiologists) guiding us.

Running Problem

Problem Child

It’s like blaming the course and the weather for my failed marathon PRs. I did a few things wrong it’s just the majority of the blame wasn’t mine.

Exactly. It works both ways, and has been deployed by partisan rabble-rousers and  footsoldiers every time there is a change of political party in the whitehouse.

When other party is in whitehouse: "increasing the deficit is BAD", then when their guy is in office: "increasing the deficit is GOOD".

It's cool that there's always a partisan excuse for failure, and/or success of the other party. That way people can save face. Even though this pandemic would have happened even with a Green or Libertarian in the whitehouse, somehow the gullibles would have found a way to blame the GOP or DNC; whichever party they are not in.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Why on earth would you think that? As partisan stuff goes, it seems like science would guide an incoming pandemic for normal-thinking people. Your assertion is far fetched.

Simply because everything President Trump did for COVID 19 was instantly wrong.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

People think being cynical of all politicians makes them clever or savvy when really it just makes them an easy mark.

Runners run

New Pfizer results: they say their vaccine is 95% effective, and safe. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

Moderna gonna come out tomorrow like ours is actually 96% effective.

Go science!

Runners run

Also I listened to this podcast the other day and it made me more confident in these vaccine candidates and also wish I'd taken AP bio in high school: https://peterattiamd.com/pauloffit/

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mikey, that news is days old. And IMO those findings are way premature.

Mikey, that news is days old. And IMO those findings are way premature.

My bad, it's in today's paper. What's the new news?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pfizer initially announced last week and Moderna on Monday.

Regardless, the news is incredibly premature. We are only three months into their Phase 3 trials, only fewer than 100 cases out of tens of thousands inoculated vaccine or placebo. The confidence intervals around the estimates of effectiveness are still way too wide to make anything of this news. We know this is true because if the evidence were definitive, the trials would be ethically obliged to stop (i.e., that is, to stop withholding effective vaccine in favor of giving placebo), but the external data safety monitoring boards for both trials have not stopped them. This is really just an attention grab that has successfully shot stock prices up.

Further, with this news, people in the trial may behave less safely. Those who believe to have received the actual vaccine rather than placebo will now march around thinking they have 95% protection and start going to bars and partying. Well, that will only increase cases artificially and muck up the findings.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What's the new news?

This, apparently:

The companies said that out of 170 cases of Covid-19, 162 were in the placebo group, and eight were in the vaccine group. Out of 10 cases of severe Covid-19, nine had received a placebo.

This appears to be a new analysis. Numbers are still way too low to be conclusive. The article also notes that if FDA grants an EUA, there will still only be enough vaccine for about 12 million Americans this year, which is only a small portion. And it will likely all go to healthcare workers, not the rest of folks.

FWIW, I am vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine, and that shot is no walk in the park.

I get that it's company press release and mostly undertood all the caveats you mention. Still promising.

mta: In keeping with the wild west theme I was also remarking about the press release war between Pfizer and Moderna. Pfizer announces 90%, Moderna comes out at 94%, and so Pfizer says well actually on final review ours is 95%.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

Pfeizer has a drug that's 90% now? Amazing how fast these drugs are coming out showing such success. One might almost believe the companies were holding back on announcing their success for some reason. Three  pharmaceutical companies now have vaccines against COVID 19 showing 90% success.

Moderna worries me. When NATURE calls you out for not releasing any peer reviewed information I start to stop believing you. "our stuff works. No you can't see our data." okay. Plus they've not had very much success passing Phase 1 trials, and now they're SECOND to develop a vaccine?

Novovax's vaccine seems too good to be true, but I'm not a scientist. While developing a vaccine for RSV you failed phase 2 trials, and less than a year later you're developing a vaccine that is 90% successful against COVID 19. Something we have never seen before?

The differences in the tests and the vaccines is astonishing. It looks like two totally different training plans for two totally different races.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the update, Trent.  It really helps to hear from people outside the news.  I don't trust the news anymore.  I'm involved in a situation now where the reporting is SO biased and poor, I've lost all confidence in journalists. Sad

Running Problem

Problem Child

FWIW, I am vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine, and that shot is no walk in the park.

What are the side effects like? sick for a week? muscle aches? metallic taste in your mouth? Itchy skin?

VDOT 53.37 

So you know you're getting the vaccine and not placebo? (You probably explained this further back.)

My daughter's landlady/roommate is in the Moderna trial, which apparently means she'll get vaccinated by the end of the year/early January.

Runners run