The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I never participate in those consumption orgies, anyway, and find it disturbing that so many of the unwashed masses show up and act like starving people at the back of a relief truck throwing out loaves of bread. Just to get $50 off on a TV that they probably don't need.

What a nice middle-class perspective you have there.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't understand the doorbuster Black Friday thing...not in the era of online shopping with the same deals with free shipping, no getting out of bed in the middle of the night, better deals on Cyber Monday, and increasingly better deals leading up to Christmas Eve.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Running Problem

Problem Child

Black Friday is going to result in more cases than MAGA emotional support rallies and BLM marches combined. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "strong request" for business to keep their doors closed this weekend. I never participate in those consumption orgies, anyway, and find it disturbing that so many of the unwashed masses show up and act like starving people at the back of a relief truck throwing out loaves of bread. Just to get $50 off on a TV that they probably don't need. Or a free keychain flashlight or some other rubbish that will just go to the landfill in a month. And watch, people will bring along their entire brood of 5-6 kids, too. And their "service animals". And Grandma in a wheelchair.

But yeah, if stores ARE open, stay way.

Black Friday 2011 - Urban Outfitters crowd rush fight - YouTube

Look for another  CV19 surge starting about one week from today.

Retail is the ONLY thing my Governor's NEW quarantine mandate bullshit wasn't impacted by. Somehow they're safer than every other business operating and don't need to change anything they're doing because they're doing it so much better than anyone else while we have record high covid 19 cases. So NO, retail shopping will NOT cause an INCREASE in COVID 19 cases. Its' only Republicans who spread it with their dick noses. BLMA protests/ralleys never spread a COVID 19 case otherwise they would have been broken up before they could be formed during the Presidential election due to safety reasons. I never saw a BLM protest get fined for violating social distance protocols and I saw plenty of President Donald Trump's appearances result in fines for companies. I think most retail planned ahead and decided a Black November was a better option due to State officials mandates.

EDIT:Man in Trump-shaped flotation device charged with assault after breathing on protesters (msn.com)

Yup....don't breath on people if you support Trump after he lost the election.  Weren't we just talking about law suits and proving it was caused by someone?

As for "black friday" I'm just shocked it isn't racist this year, or any other year, due to members of society not understanding it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I don't understand the doorbuster Black Friday thing...not in the era of online shopping with the same deals with free shipping, no getting out of bed in the middle of the night, better deals on Cyber Monday, and increasingly better deals leading up to Christmas Eve.

I think the last few years they started around 7pm so you could go right after dinner, and stores didn't offer deals online. $1,200 tv in store for $400 or computers that ended up with a "So I make like $8.25-10/hr for sitting here by myself to buy that one thing." Usually it was a college student in need when the news interviewed people. Too bad they don't do the same thing for shoe releases. "Nike Alpha fly for $50. Opening at 12:01am" would get a line of people at some stores I bet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

I know the explosion of "black friday" into the madness that it is today... well, it sucks.

But keep in mind, especially this year, that a store's income during the holiday season is pretty much make-or-break for the entire year. I hate it as much as you do, but I also want stores to stay in business during 2021.

(BTW, yes, I am in retail now and retail booze is pretty much recession and virus-proof. Our stores will be fine. But everybody else notsomuch)

What a nice middle-class perspective you have there.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/coronavirus-surge-la-brink-stay-home-order-74369443

How do you enforce this? Write citations for everyone outside their house unless they have a way to prove they're travel is considered essential?

"I work the night shift at the business that's open between 10pm and 5am." might become a popular response.

Anyone have an idea why we only need to do these extensions for three weeks? Governors and elected officials too afraid to say "stay home until 2021. New Years and Christmas are canceled this year" or is there something to do with 3 week quarantines?

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Retail is the ONLY thing my Governor's NEW quarantine mandate bullshit wasn't impacted by. Somehow they're safer than every other business operating and don't need to change anything they're doing because they're doing it so much better than anyone else while we have record high covid 19 cases. So NO, retail shopping will NOT cause an INCREASE in COVID 19 cases. Its' only Republicans who spread it with their dick noses. BLMA protests/ralleys never spread a COVID 19 case otherwise they would have been broken up before they could be formed during the Presidential election due to safety reasons. I never saw a BLM protest get fined for violating social distance protocols and I saw plenty of President Donald Trump's appearances result in fines for companies. I think most retail planned ahead and decided a Black November was a better option due to State officials mandates.

EDIT:Man in Trump-shaped flotation device charged with assault after breathing on protesters (msn.com)

Yup....don't breath on people if you support Trump after he lost the election.  Weren't we just talking about law suits and proving it was caused by someone?

As for "black friday" I'm just shocked it isn't racist this year, or any other year, due to members of society not understanding it.

LOL. An anti lockdown organiser in the UK got fined the maximum £10,000 last month, but BLM mass gatherings?  No problem, they are.....peaceful protests.

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-myth-behind-blms-peaceful-protests/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Because of our inconvenient Constitution, Merikuh has to allow protests and religious gatherings.

It's not very bright or responsible for people to take part in mass gatherings, but they're allowed to. That's one of the reasons why Merikuh can't shake the virus like countries that have more control over the population. Pluses and minuses all around. If we had an educated public that could comprehend WHY they should avoid contact with a lot of other people for a few weeks, these freedoms to do so wouldn't be a problem. But the Merikun unwashed masses, lumpenproletariat, peasantry, etc. are shockingly uninformed or cognitively deficient. What is it now, like 20% of Merikuns believe the Earth is 5000 years old and flat? Seems like the anti-science crowd grows bigger every year.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Because of our inconvenient Constitution, Merikuh has to allow protests and religious gatherings.

It's not very bright or responsible for people to take part in mass gatherings, but they're allowed to. That's one of the reasons why Merikuh can't shake the virus like countries that have more control over the population. Pluses and minuses all around. If we had an educated public that could comprehend WHY they should avoid contact with a lot of other people for a few weeks, these freedoms to do so wouldn't be a problem. But the Merikun unwashed masses, lumpenproletariat, peasantry, etc. are shockingly uninformed or cognitively deficient. What is it now, like 20% of Merikuns believe the Earth is 5000 years old and flat? Seems like the anti-science crowd grows bigger every year.

Religious gatherings have been limited to the highest extent even AFTER other restrictions are lifted. For example....state says 50 people max, then 3 months later says 50% capacity. Religious groups were held to the 50 person limit even if they could hold 250 and the state allowed 125 person gatherings. Meanwhile restaurants, bars, museums, amusement parks, and retail businesses (again an example) were allowed to operate at 50% capacity.

Mass gatherings AREN'T allowed everywhere and my current Governor said they could occur at a limit of something like 250 people, and the county said "absolutely not." So mas gatherings aren't allowed. Minus is no races can happen because every single even organizer is not going to be granted permission even with a COVID 19 plan, and no one wants to do an official event for fear of being fined because their mass gathering isn't supporting Joe Biden. Merikuns can only mass gather if protesting the current President, or support Joe Biden. The flat earth people can't assemble peacefully due to COVID 19 social distance requirements so their first amendment right is really getting stepped on. For the safety of other people who aren't there even though everyone is wearing a mask like they're at the grocery store.

What ever happened with the Maine mask protest people? Grocery store shut down? No one show up becuase it's cold? I can't remember.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The Maine CDC was flooded with a lot of reports about the event and word got out that the state police had been notified.  The group canceled the events.  It looks like they may try again - a post on their page today"

STORM THE GATES - MAINE MALL EVENT
                          Sunday 12/06 5:30 P.M.
                          Meet Outside The Food Court Parking Lot
                          This coming Sunday a group of us are going to meet in the parking lot of the Maine Mall in South Portland. We plan to breach their defenses by wearing masks to allow us to sneak past the guards!
                          Once in the, havoc begins. We "adjust" our masks, some will sing Chrismas songs (singing is banned btw), and others will just merrily bask in the festive spirit that Mainers cherish.
                          Who's coming?! Who's with us?! And who just needs to do a little Christmas shopping and wants to chuckle?! 😁😁😁
                          *This is not a fake event. lol

The flat earth people can't assemble peacefully due to COVID 19 social distance requirements so their first amendment right is really getting stepped on. For the safety of other people who aren't there even though everyone is wearing a mask like they're at the grocery store.

Even if State and Local government "forbids" mass religious or protest gatherings, they can have their pants sued off them for trying to enforce it. Thus sayeth the Supremacist Court. Governors and other public leaders are paper tigers when it comes to these situations. Don't get me wrong, people who WANT to gather in big groups right now are idiots, but they are allowed to be idiots by our inconvenient Constitution.

I think the only way the Constitution can legally be temporarily sidestepped is if martial law is declared. Wouldn't THAT get people all riled up with conspiracies! 

CV19 is the new version of Snake Handling?

"Go and gather and sing and hug to show the power of the Lord to protect you from sickness"

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Even if State and Local government "forbids" mass religious or protest gatherings, they can have their pants sued off them for trying to enforce it. Thus sayeth the Supremacist Court. Governors and other public leaders are paper tigers when it comes to these situations. Don't get me wrong, people who WANT to gather in big groups right now are idiots, but they are allowed to be idiots by our inconvenient Constitution.

The issue has been treating religious groups differently from other groups, requiring with more stringent restrictions.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.