Left foot went numb at 3 mile mark (Read 2386 times)

Thats why I used probably. I was under the impression I should work my mileage up slowly. I don't know it seems you guys seem more concerned at trying to catch me in lies than actually helping. And thunder, no where did I ever say I was fit. Just because Im young doesn't mean you can talk down to me.
    Work your mileage up slowly - Your doing the right thing - I don't care how young you are, you can still get hurt if you do too much too soon. Its not about age its about physiology and if you do more then your ready for, you will get hurt.... ERROR on the side of caution.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

The Thunder

Yes you will.
      As a participant...or just a volunteer?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

As a participant...or just a volunteer?
        Back off dude! I am NOT racing till prolly March. Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The Thunder

Back off dude! I am NOT racing till prolly March. Wink
          That's cool....I'm not sure I'm ready to race again either. I'm glad you wont' be running! MTA:Got to keep my streak of not getting beat by you in over a year going!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Yeah sorry to go off on you. I was stressed that day. Anyway I went to the doctors today and he said that I have Anterior Compartment Syndrome and that I should not try and be macho and run through it, as this will only make it worse. He said run 2 and a half miles max and stop when it starts up, and take more rest days. I set up another appointment with him in a month and he said if it is still there he will have me run 3 miles during the appointment and then check it out. He said surgery is an option if it doesn't go away, and that the people he's done it on have said it was like a miracle cure. So obviously bummed as this pretty much rules out my half marathon on june 1st, but its not the end of the world or anything. It's not like Im going to die anytime soon (Haha, morbid jokes. I apologize).
            2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...man, I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm glad that you finally have a diagnosis to work with. Hopefully it's something that remedies itself with time and increased fitness.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah I knew it wasn't the cold, because I ran on an indoor track and had the same issues. The doctor was glad that I got it checked out before I made it worse. Do you know any other things I could do to stay in shape so that I don't lose to much when I come back?
                2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could you do pool running? What about cross-country skiing or snowshoeing? Maybe working out on an elliptical trainer?

~ Sarah Kay

Oh okay thanks. I think the place near here has those.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good luck...I hope you can maintain and increase your fitness in the meantime. I really believe that this sort of thing will let up if you give it rest here and there. I rarely have issues anymore...and when I do they don't freak me out, since there never appears to be any long-term damages.

~ Sarah Kay

Half Fanatic #846

Anyway I went to the doctors today and he said that I have Anterior Compartment Syndrome and that I should not try and be macho and run through it, as this will only make it worse. He said ... stop when it starts up, and take more rest days. He said surgery is an option if it doesn't go away, and that the people he's done it on have said it was like a miracle cure.
                        Hey Brian, I had that surgery in 2007 and it went really well. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you're interested in how mine went, check out my calendar entry notes for 6-29-07 and 7-11-07 thru 7-23-07. Good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Hey Brian, I had that surgery in 2007 and it went really well. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you're interested in how mine went, check out my calendar entry notes for 6-29-07 and 7-11-07 thru 7-23-07. Good luck!
                          Wow thanks! That's very encouraging if I have to take that route. Did it fix the problem completely? Or at least 90%? Do you have an complaints about the whole thing?

Half Fanatic #846

Wow thanks! That's very encouraging if I have to take that route. Did it fix the problem completely? Or at least 90%? Do you have an complaints about the whole thing?
                            The problem was totally fixed - once in a while I feel just a very slight twinge in my leg just for a few seconds, but I'm sure it's from the surgery itself rather than compartment issues. If I had to do it again I probly would have done it sooner. In my case, it got to the point that I had to stop running for the most part (no longer runs for sure), or have the surgery. But in your case, the right shoes, not overtraining, rest days, and listening to your doctor might mean you won't need surgery. Try running on softer surfaces (grass, dirt, trails, track, treadmill) more of the time - try to stay off of concrete and asphalt for awhile. Compartment issues are related mostly to over-training. Let us know how things turn out! MTA: I haven't run much at all for a few months now due to another injury - plantar faciitis Sad

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

SeanMed

Hey there, i am new to RunningAhead. But i to have this problem around mile 3. I was wondering if it still does this?