training in the HOT ZONE (Read 1075 times)

I received the following message via the comments page. I'm not positive who the author is since she did not include an email address. Since she indicated that her comments can be made public, I'll post it here. Hopefully someone can give her some suggestions, and she would get to read it... I'm a almost 42 F 3rd shift CV RN who took up running last September. After listening to a coworker rave about the Country Music Marathon in Nashville, Myself and another coworker decided to take on the challenge. I was in the process of trying to lose some weight and was really never a runner. I thought I couldn't since I can't breathe correctly (in through my nose - out through my mouth). I had race walker 10 years prior. So I set out... The first day out, I could only run 2 blocks. Then I walked the other 2 + miles. A read Jeff Galloway's books and this gave my permission to run / walk to build endurance. This was liberating. I convinced my husband to also train. (He thought he couldn't run because he is pigeon toed and bowed legged with significant supination). My cowork dropped out of training due to family issues. We continued. In November we both got new running shoes which made a world of difference. I stopped having IT pain and my husband's knee pain lessened. In January though, I started having issues with my ankles and Achille's. My husband continued to increase his distance with mine started to decline. Come the end of March 4 weeks out of the marathon date, I was running 3 miles a week. I went to a sports MD and then to PT. After 6 visits and conservatively increasing my distance again, it was off to attempt the 1/2 marathon on April 29 in Nashville while my husband ran the full. The results, we both finished and faster than we conservatively were estimating. My half was in 2:17 and his full was in 4:22. We are both extremely proud of ourselves and have caught the running bug. He is on the internet researching marathon and looking at our schedule to see when we might want to do our next major race. We are from AUBURN, AL. The majority of our training was during the winter which is normally mild but now the summer weather is hitting. I am struggling with running in the heat and humidity. I tried earlier this week in run in 85 degree sunny weather and about died. Today was a little better since I ran at 10 am and it was only 77. I am trying to flip my schedule to run in the am first thing after work (a 12 hour shift and working major overtime) but it is a struggle. I could switch to treadmill running. But since I switch to running outdoors, the treadmill is quite a bore. Any suggestions from other in the HOT ZONES?? Mary

You'll ruin your knees!

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS on the half (and the full for your hubby!). Your times were awesome for first timers! I am in North Texas and our summers often top 100 with relatively high humidity (70-90%), often with high ozone alerts which can make just sitting outside difficult at times. I find that hydration is critical, not just during and right around the run, but all day long! I also try and get out for early morning runs, often running long runs starting and finishing before sunup! This might be a challenge for you with your shift schedule. Another thing to keep in mind is light-colored clothes, particularly a good ventilated hat! Sometimes, particularly during warmer weather races, I will put ice in my hat to help keep the temps down. Keep your chin up, you can acclimate to it, just don't expect to set any PRs for speed in the heat. Know that you can easily expect the warmer days to have 1-2 minutes/mile impact on your speed. I often train through the summer for a fall ultra. I am usually concerned with my performance through Aug/Sept, but find that at race time, temps permitting, I find my old speed (well, er, uhm, speed is a relative term, ya know). Good luck to you and keep the faith. Galloway is how I broke into the distances, although I don't worry too much now about scheduled walks, as the trails often take care of that for me. Anyway, please keep us posted as to your progress through the summer. We can compare notes on who has it the worst, Auburn, Dallas, Detroit, Cleveland, Phoenix (but it's a dry heat)... Take care, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I work nights in NC, and have found that mornings is the best time for me to run too. Sometimes I'll run the TM at aroud 2 or 3 am on my nights off, but I'd not want to be out there by myself running. Perhaps your hubby if he works nights might want to go out for a super-early morning run? Or maybe your co-worker would like to get back into running and might appreciate a training partner? Running groups around here often start around 6am, which I can make on my nights off. Saturdays typically leave around 7:30, which is perfect if I worked Fri night. You might want to ask around - having someone else to gripe to... I mean talk with... is a nice thing after a long day. Good luck on finding something that works for you, and congrats on finishing your half. That's really impressive with an injury and 3 miles/wk a month prior! Just imagine what you could do if you had the chance to train without an injury! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Great times for your first Half and full Marathon! Yes, you can get acclimated. As jlynnbob as said, hydration is critical. I run right after work and, living in Las Vegas, it usually is always in the mid-to-high 90's (and occasionally in the 100's) when take off. I would suggest a couple of things--first, start slow and shorten the distance until you acclimate to the temperature; and second, pick up a fuel belt at a local running store (or online, if need be). There are a variety you can choose from, and they can be a lifesaver during a really hot run. On my longer runs, I'll even stash (hide) some sports drink along the route, or plan my route to go by a gas station, 7-11, whatever, where I can stop if I have to and pick up something to drink. I don't really care for the treadmill, but once in a while it won't hurt to do a training run with it. It helps you get a feel for a certain pace and, if it's at a gym where they have mirrors, you can also use it to check your running form (proper running form will help you run more efficiently). Some drawbacks with a treadmill, however, are that the surface is more cushioned than what you will actually race on, the treadmill helps pull you along, and your calves will not develop as well as they will running outdoors (there is a biomechanical reason for this that I won't go into here). As Wingz said, imagine how well you could do if you trained injury-free. Let us know how the training progresses.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            You might want to check out this link: http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/019500.shtml You're not the only one dealing with temperature issues! Good luck!

I agree with what has been said above... I live in Houston, TX, and in the summer the heat and humidity are stifling. I generally try to run late in the evening when the direct heat from the sun is lessened, although with the humidity the temperature itself does not really decrease all that much after sunset. I used to really "run out of steam" every year when the summer months rolled around, but about 2 years ago I decided to make an effort not to give up just because it was hot. I bought a camelbak water pack kept on running. Since then, I have found that I look at running in the summer as almost a completely different activity as compared to running in the winter. In the winter, my challenge is to go farther and faster, and I enjoy the feeling of pushing my cardiovascular system. In the summer, the heat is my competition, and the accomplishment flows not from speed/time but rather from actually finishing a given distance when it is 95 degrees and so humid you feel like you are swimming. Both activities are physically demanding, and both give me the sense of accomplishment that keeps me running. Admittedly, I am a recreational runner (and not a particularly fast one at that), so your mileage my vary (so to speak!) By the way... Hello all! I've been lurking for a few weeks, and this seemed like a good subject to "come out" on.
                By the way... Hello all! I've been lurking for a few weeks, and this seemed like a good subject to "come out" on.
                Hi, Todd. Thanks for coming out and joining us! Welcome! Smile