Breck Crest Mountain Marathon, Breckenridge, CO (Read 908 times)

Just keep running...

Hi, Im heading to Breckenridge tomorrow to run the Breck Crest Mountain Marathon on Sunday. Anybody here going? anyone here interested in High Elevation running challenges? I have run the Silverton Alpine Marathon for the last two years which is slightly longer and higher in elevation than the Breck Crest, but Breck has more climbing, and steeper. Im getting fairly excited, Dont know what to expect. I loved Silverton, but it worked me. Im worried about all the steep elevation gain at the beginning of this one. Here is the marathon Info: http://www.mavsports.com/?id=9 Elevation Profile: http://www.mavsports.com//images.php?id=41
    mikeymike

Never run it but I've hiked to the top of Breck with my skis on my back. Damn it was high. Some thin air up there, but the view is pretty spectacular. Good luck!

Runners run

Just keep running...

It is pretty high, but my favorite place to run is anywhere above treeline ;-) I do regular training runs at 11-13k Ft so the actual elevation shouldn't bother me too much it is the 6k ft gain in just over 6 miles that is worrying me! Thanks for the luck! Ill take it.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hope everything goes well! I still cannot fathom marathons, much yet TRAIL marathons. Best of luck! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Been to Breckenridge - gorgeous! But a marathon???? Big grin Good luck and will be waiting to read your race report Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Woah. Good luck! Looks like quite the challenge, which will be very rewarding once done! Big grin

Michelle

I ran the Firecracker 10k in Breckenridge this summer. It was 100% on trails...5k up and 5k down. the up was tough and seemed to never end... good luck. The downhill was techy, people were falling left and right. good times... good times.
                Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Just keep running...

OK, Finished the Race... but barely. For some reason my body and mind were not up to the task that day. At the 2nd Aid station I grabbed some carbonated energy drink instead of Gatorade witch immediately made me vomit. That caused me to be dehydrated and short of any energy for the next 2 hours. I could not even keep any water down. Finally my stomach settled and I was able to get some gel packs and water down which allowed me to finish the race. Whoever decided that a 2 mile climb at mile 20 was a good idea needs to be shot. I was so tired by then that just looking at the climb was demoralizing. I struggled my way through it and crossed the finish line 24.8 Miles and 5500Ft of elevation gain later in 6h 10m. MUCH slower than I wanted, but at least I finished... I actually was considering bailing at one of the aid stations for awhile. My training partner ended up getting first in the 20-29 age group with a 5:06, and I think if I had not been feeling so bad I could have pulled off a podium finish as well (3rd was 5:40 somthing). but oh well, there is always next year... The trails were absolutely beautiful, very technical single track and spectacular views for most of the run, I wish I was feeling better and I would have appreciated it better. Next challenge... 50k in February. Gotta keep running!
                    hey... just took a look at your training log. Why don't you put in more miles before you race. It seems that you are running 2-5 mile runs and then racing 13-26 miles. What gives? Just wondering.
                    Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Just keep running...

Yea, I know. Our training this year got a little messed up. The Marathon we had planned on was canceled and I didn't really commit to doing this one until about 2 Weeks before. We didn't want to put too many miles in the week before and recovery from the last race cut our mileage as well. Many of my long training (18-22 Miles) runs got skipped due to the fact that I didn't think I was doing a marathon this year and just wanted to keep a base over the winter and start pushing again in the spring. Also I didn't start logging here until after we had heard the race was canceled. We try to average at least 8-10 miles for all of our runs these days, but motivation and timing have been issues. we will be getting back on it soon.
                        cool. I envy you for doing the race period. I was just wondering. I also wonder if you were on the same trail as my race this summer. we were on the mtn. on the other side of town than the ski area. ? keep pluggin' away!
                        btb1490

Great job on relatively little training!

Just keep running...

I also wonder if you were on the same trail as my race this summer. we were on the mtn. on the other side of town than the ski area. ? keep pluggin' away!
                            The course went north from the town and up the mountain, Basically I think we circled the resort on the ridge. I would not be suprised if we were on the same trail at some point.