Race Day Gear help!! (Read 758 times)

OK, I'm a relative newbie with one 10K under my belt. I've trained hard for a half-marathon on January 13th and am shooting for my 1h:55m goal (my training partner's time in his first HM...yeah, I'm competitive). I need some help. The weather here in Mobile, AL will most likely be 35-45 on raceday morning, (not cold to many of you, but chilly to us Mobilians.) Has anybody had to start off with 2 shirts on (shortsleeved and longsleeved) and finish the race with one as it warms up? What can I do with it during the race? Tie it around my waist? Then where do I wear my number? Should I just start off cold with just 1 shirt to start? I HATE being cold to start running! Also, whats the lightest, easiest way to carry one-maybe 2 Goo Packets? Sorry if this sounds nitpicky, but I'm sure you experienced racers can identify......right??? Big grin Thanks, Nate in Alabama
      In most of my races, I pin my number to my shorts. Then you don't have to worry about the shirts. In my last half, in similar weather to yours coming up, I wore a long sleeve tech shirt with a wind breaker. After it got too warm, I tied it around my waist. Make sure to get some cheap gloves. I get them at CVS for $2 a pair.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

#artbydmcbride

Bonkin has great advice! Two shirts are great for keeping you warm, but I have found removing one during the race over my head is problematic to say the least. I like a cheap windbreaker that zips up; I get two or three at the Goodwill store for a few bucks. Then I can just unzip it and toss it aside or tie it around my waist. If I tie it around my waist, I can carry gu in the pockets too. Otherwise I stuff a gu in that little key pocket in my pants.

Runners run

Bonkin has great advice!
          Yes he does. Smile For my marathon I was wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt (over a short sleeve tech shirt), and planned to toss it into a pile of cups at a water station. The temp rose a bit before the start, so it actually wound up in a trash can just before the gun. It was old and tired, so it served the warmup purpose and was no loss when discarded. You could tie it around your waist, or maybe around your neck (and over your back like a cape). As suggested, pin the number to your shorts. I've seen a fair number of runners do a little origami, reducing the size by folding (or maybe cutting?) the border. If the race is chip timed it usually doesn't matter, but better safe than sorry. I use SportBeans for refueling when required, but I don't bother for 13.1. I've seen a lot of runners pin the Gu packets through the tear-away tab, attaching them to the waistband of their shorts. They just rip it off when they want it, leaving the tab and pin on the shorts. DON'T use Gu during your race unless you have done so in training. As a matter of fact, don't do ANYTHING during the race that you haven't tested in training. The stretchy "Miracle" gloves from CVS or Walgreens are good for the temps you mentioned, and cheap enough to toss if you are warm and they get sweaty. I've seen some other folks wearing jersey gloves or canvas gardening gloves from Walmart or Home Depot. Congrats on the training Nate, relax and enjoy the entire experience on race day. There's nothing like your first. Smile

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I've always been told and done to dress as if it is 15-20 degrees warmer, because you will warm up even if it's cold, then after the race have someone that is there have an extra dry shirt to put on. As for race number, I use a race belt or put it on my shirt with the pins. The other advice of nothing new on race day is the most important one.... trust me... I also love the cheap gloves that you can toss aside.. Some people even wear like a big garbage bag and that lets them stay warm until their body temp rises and then they just tear it off. Good luck with your race.
              Can't believe I forgot to mention.....be sure to post your post-race report in this forum, we LOVES us some race reports.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I've done the throw away long sleeve shirt idea and I didn't have a problem with it. I wore it for maybe 2 or 3 miles of a HM. I threw it in the can next to the water stop, and the shirt had really lived its life anyway. I have shorts that have pockets for gel in the back, but in a race I actually carry one in each hand. I did that in my last HM and didn't even use them-they didn't bother me at all. I wish I'd had one of them though. I need to find some of those throw away gloves. I'm going to need them this weekend, too.
                  Thanks for all the respones. I am gonna get a cheap 6 dollar throwaway sweatshirt at Target and run til I get hot and then ditch it. I will just finish in shorts and a Under Armour Tech Tee. I will definately post a race report after Sunday. Thanks again! Does Anyone get the "maybe I'm not ready for this" sydrome before race day? I know I'm allright, trained well...got up to 12.5 miles. But still....anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm sure its just because its my first. Confused Thanks, Nate
                    Does Anyone get the "maybe I'm not ready for this" sydrome before race day?
                    Yeah, but unless they have something good to say just ignore those little voices. Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. Keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny. -- Gandhi On race day I used to find myself looking around and thinking "he (or she) looks like a REAL runner..." and that may or may not be the case. Doesn't matter either way, because you are really racing against your expectations/abilities. You know that you have put in the work, so be confident. At least for me, the nervousness/uncertainty has diminished but hasn't really gone away. I think that's because it's part of the excitement, and it will be a sad day if I ever lose that. Relax (as much as you can) and enjoy it Nate.

E.J.

Does Anyone get the "maybe I'm not ready for this" sydrome before race day? I know I'm allright, trained well...got up to 12.5 miles. But still....anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm sure its just because its my first. Confused
                      I get that all the time. But, for something like this, your first HM, everything will be worth it. Finishing something so long and so hard is something to be very proud of. Just remember that whenever you get nervous and you will be motivated. Also, about the gels- you can stick them inside your shorts if you're not too grossed out about that.

Imminent Catastrophe

I am gonna get a cheap 6 dollar throwaway sweatshirt at Target
                        You could probably find one real cheap at a thrift shop. Then discard it at an aid station, they generally recycle them right back to the homeless. Pre-race jitters are NORMAL. I generally spend the night before the race trying to figure out an excuse to drop out, but haven't yet.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TexasRose

Yeah, but unless they have something good to say just ignore those little voices. Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. Keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny. -- Gandhi
                          I love this quote! Wish I'd read it before I posted my jitters post on the other page. Thanks!
                          JakeKnight

* First - make sure you test how you feel temperature wise on your long training runs. For me personally, 35-45 would make me too hot in ONE shirt - I'd wear a tank top. But that's me. I do know that I'd much, much rather be a little too cold than a little too warm. But again, your mileage may vary. On race day, I've never been too cold. I saw a lot of faster runners wearing shorts and singlets at a marathon that started at 21 degrees. * Second - despite the above, some people - I'm one of them - get cold fingers. And sometimes ears. So experiment with different clothes, wearing gloves and hats. I'm the dork you see wearing shorts and a tank top ... with gloves. Because my fingers get cold way, way before the rest of me does, and freezing fingers ruins a run. Again, experiment. At 35-45, I'd never wear a hat. Well, maybe a baseball cap. But I'd probably start with gloves. You can stick them down your shorts if your hands get warm. It impresses the girls (and keeps your boys warm, if necessary). Bottom line, in a sub-2:00 half marathon, I really don't think you're gonna get cold. Unless its very windy. I'd wear shorts and a tech shirt and gloves, maybe a baseball cap. * I always wear my number on my shorts. I hate it on my shirt. But it took me a while to figure that out. Try it and see what you like. * I've seen people running with shirts tied around their middle, and it looks miserable to me. Like everyone said, get yourself something you can throw away. Or go with the old garbage trick. It's hard to beat. You can use old socks for gloves, too, and throw those away. If people think you're homeless and give you money, you get to keep it - so that's a plus. * You can fit a couple GUs in the stupid little pocket inside most running shorts. It works fine. If you want to be a complete dork, you can even pin a couple to your shirt. I even saw somebody do it with duct-tape. I'll probably laugh at you behind your back, but it works. Have fun. You'll do fine. If you've run 12.5, you're probably better prepared than 90% of your fellow runners.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Heh, I just wrote the chapter in my book on what to wear to the starting line and mention how the shorts and singlet worked well for me in a race that topped out at 28 degrees - but then I stopped running after the marathon was over and began to freeze. If your race starts and ends in the same area, then get some cheap clothes that you don't mind losing (goodwill is a great source) and wear them during your warm up before the race. When you are ready to get on the starting line, take 'em off and stash them somewhere and if they are still there when you get back, great, otherwise they hopefully went to somebody who needed them more than you. If you are in a point to point race, then just assume you'll never see 'em again and still leave 'em at the start line. For your hands, get some old socks that you don't plan on wearing anymore (or at least, shouldn't wear anymore!) and use those as gloves for the first mile or so. I am usually fine in the shorts and singlets, and if it is a little chilly the socks on the hands are a cheap glove alternative that can be thrown to the side. I haven't actually done that for a few years, though, since I now race in Race Ready shorts that have pockets in them that I can put thin gloves in. If you don't want to leave any clothing by the starting line, then wear a trash bag with a hole cut out for your head (and optionally a couple of holes cut for your arms) - you'll stay warm pretty easily and you won't feel bad about leaving it behind once you are warm enough. Check out this checklist if you want to create a customized page that you can print out before your race. It's meant for marathoners, but you can use it for a half marathon if you want. I promise I won't tell the guy that put the page up. See, I'm covering my ears so I won't hear me even if I do let it slip!

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

It looks like the disposable top layer idea has been pretty well covered. My favorite way to carry Gu or anything else is with Race Ready shorts. They have a series of mesh pockets along the back that can hold quite a bit. As for the pre-race doubts; I get them before every race! I've finished a marathon and still get jittery about finishing a 5K.

-------------------------------------
                                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07