Yet Another Slow Running Question(s) (Read 905 times)

Ok, so I was forced to take the vast majority of October off due to a non-running injury. I took the down time to more or less re-think my running approach. I do not race so I am not training for a specific event or distance. I do, however, like to see improvements in my ability in regards both time and distance. Having read enough slow running threads on here that it has finally sunk in I want to embrace the concept as I start back running again. I went to a few different running calculators that were recommended in various threads on this site and calculated what should be my "easy" pace. But that left me with more questions than answers. I keep wanting to type this in a way that dances around my embarrassingly slow times but I can't so I'm going to throw them out there. My runs are all basically one of four distances: 5k, 10k, 15k, or 21k. I more or less cycle through them. My 5k PR is 28:18. When I plug that into the calculators it gives me an easy pace of roughly 7:00 per k. Peachy. I actually tried twice to run 5k at that pace and so far have not managed to slow myself down enough. I'm working on it though. The issue is that when I plug in my 10k PR of 1:03:30 or whatever it is I get an easy pace of roughly 7:30 per k. When I plug in my 21k PR my easy pace should be about 7:45 per k. So......... what is my easy pace? I am taking it to mean that when I run an easy 5k I should be turning 7:00 per k, when I run 10k or 15k it should be at 7:30 per k, etc. Yet this seems a bit strange to me. Isn't an easy k an easy k regardless of the distance? What am I missing here? Also, I was thinking of adding long runs once or twice per month. My issue there is that I am so damned slow that a 25k long run is going to be over 3 hours at an easy pace. I am unsure of the benefit of a long run that is only 4k longer than 25% of my other runs. Particularly, I question whether the benefit is worth three hours. If I expand it to 30k, again at easy pace, I am looking at 4 hour runs which I simply do not know that I can find the time to do on a regular basis. Any help with my understand of all of this would be greatly appreciated.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Why is it sideways?

Make it simpler: "easy" is finishing a run feeling like you could do it again and still feel good. It's not a pace or a heart rate. For slower runners, running easier may mean incorporating walk breaks instead of slowing down.
      JimR

#1: What Jeff said #2: Stop thinking in terms of distance and instead think of time. If it's taking you well over an hour to do a regular bread/butter run, that's too long. Outside of marathon training, your long runs shouldn't be more than 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2 tops on occasion (some will argue up to 3 hours). Regular workouts should be around 50 to 90 minutes depending (like mid-longs can be 90 minutes) and recovery runs 35-45 minutes. Odds are you're running so long on each run that you're too pooped for the next one.
          ... My 5k PR is 28:18. When I plug that into the calculators it gives me an easy pace of roughly 7:00 per k. Peachy... The issue is that when I plug in my 10k PR of 1:03:30 or whatever it is I get an easy pace of roughly 7:30 per k. When I plug in my 21k PR my easy pace should be about 7:45 per k. So......... what is my easy pace? I am taking it to mean that when I run an easy 5k I should be turning 7:00 per k, when I run 10k or 15k it should be at 7:30 per k, etc. Yet this seems a bit strange to me. Isn't an easy k an easy k regardless of the distance? What am I missing here?
          These are just estimates of what your easy pace would be based on particular race distances. It really means that you are better trained for the 5K distance than you are for the 10K, and better for the 10K than for the 21K, etc. Based on your 5K PR, these calculators would predict a better PR for your 10K, etc. Sounds like more endurance training ("easy pace" runs) will help your longer distance races. We don't know what your mpw (kpw?) is, but when you get to 50 mpw (80 kpw) consistently, those predictions from the calculators for various distances will be a lot closer. Yes, an easy k is an easy k pretty much regardless of the distance. Sometimes folks allow a slightly slower easy pace for runs of 30k or more, your choice. Whatever... for myself, I just run by heart rate and don't pay much attention to "pace" as such. You will be fine if you do your easy runs so that you feel nice and comfortable, and when they're done you feel like you could keep on going and really enjoy it.
            Run so you can talk in complete, complex sentences. Consider singing or whistling. No need for gadgets or tables.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              How fast you run isnt very important - what is important is that you do run, and your out there consistantly. You have gotten some good advice. I would like to recommend that you dont worry too much about minutes per Mile or KM. Just go at a nice slow easy pace and enjoy running for what it is...running. One of the greatest mistakes beginners make is to try to run a specific speed (like 9 minutes per mile - or 11 minutes per mile) on daily training runs and especially be careful to not to become a slave to a specific pace just because some chart somewhere says you 'should' or could be doing this pace. Good advice already given - pick a number of minutes that you have time for....like Tue, Wed run 45 minutes (regardless of how far). Then on Thurs run 75 minutes). Then on Sat go for 45 mins and on Sunday go for 120 minutes...... OR some other amount of minutes that makes sense to your current ability and how much time yoiu have available. As you run more, you will speed up and at some point, you should consider running miles or KM again, but it seems sound advice for you to focus on minutes for a while..... Smile Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

I really do appreciate the advice, though I fear I may struggle to implement most of it. Sadly, I am not a new runner. I am just a slow runner. I've been running consistently for nearly two years now. Looking at the last six months ( prior to October ), I was average about 115k or so per month. The idea of slowing down appeals because I am thinking that it would allow me to get up around 200k per month. I completely understand the idea of not worrying about pace or distance but that will be a real challenge for me.
                And who am I anyway?
                Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Why is it sideways?

I really do appreciate the advice, though I fear I may struggle to implement most of it. Sadly, I am not a new runner. I am just a slow runner. I've been running consistently for nearly two years now. Looking at the last six months ( prior to October ), I was average about 115k or so per month. The idea of slowing down appeals because I am thinking that it would allow me to get up around 200k per month. I completely understand the idea of not worrying about pace or distance but that will be a real challenge for me.
                  If you made your log public, it would be easier to comment, but my suspicion is that you would benefit from getting out the door more frequently--like at least 5 times a week--instead of, say, lengthening the distance of the runs that you do. That would probably be the best way to get to 200k...
                    I completely understand the idea of not worrying about pace or distance but that will be a real challenge for me.
                    I have been running for the past 30 years (sometimes off and sometimes on) and FINALLY this past year have learned the art of slowing down and not worring about pace per distance....and My running right now is as getting as strong as it was YEARS ago when I used to run long races including a Marathon. AND I quit getting hurt and am always looking forward to my runs. If you make your challenge to run slower and make your distance your goal...you'll do it. Eventually, when your miles are up a bit more and you have a stronger base mileage, you should start thinking about hills, intervals and other such speed building techniques (but not yet).......You can do it if you set your mind to it... Oh Yeah - as long as I have been running, I still consided someone that has been running for 2 years to be a beginner.... Shocked Roll eyes Your doing GOOD Smile Big grin Wink JEFF is right - it would help a lot if you were to publish your logs.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

thumbs up!

... If it's taking you well over an hour to do a regular bread/butter run, that's too long. ...Regular workouts should be around 50 to 90 minutes depending (like mid-longs can be 90 minutes) and recovery runs 35-45 minutes.
                      Can you please elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what "bread/butter" runs are, and how they are different than regular workouts?
                      2010 Goals
                      1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                      2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                      3. sub 30 min 5k
                      4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

Hawt and sexy

Dude. Back when I was doing 70-90 mpw an easy day was 'just' an hour. Time matters to some, miles matter to others. If you have the time, you do the miles. If your time is limited, you go by time. If you slow down, it will take more time to run you miles. Pick which one is important. Increase the picked variable until goal is hit. Rinse and repeat. Time-wise, I don't advise going over 15 hours a week unless racing ultras, as it sucks mentally. The longest run you have will depend on any goal races. If you are training for a marathon and expect to finish in 5 hours, do a couple of long runs for 5 hours. To me the 3 hour thing is for elites that are going 22-25 miles in that 3 hours. Regular joes might only be going 12-15 miles and quite happily hitting 5 or10k goals with that long run. Mileage wise, I advise to increase slowly to let the body develop the appropriate adaptions to the new stress. Keep in mind at first you will not feel good. You might be tired or achy, whatever your body does to show it's displeasure. But after a few weeks (6-8) things even out and you can continue on your quest. Back to working back up to 70-90 mile weeks for me. I think I already blew the 10 percent rule all to hell, but that's ok. This system can take it.

I'm touching your pants.