Has anyone successfully run through PF (Read 212 times)

Happy to be running

If so did you change your running form? What PT did you do? Did you run all your runs at a easy pace? I guess most of all did it go away without having to stop running?

New runner base building for my first marathon 

I have run 2 half marathons 1:52:42 & 1:58:00

JML

I have run through it once a few years ago when I had it in my left foot and I am currently running through it in my right foot.   In my experience with PF, my foot feels best when I am running and only hurts later when it cools down and tightens up.  I have tried many different approaches to fixing the problem including:

- Ice (helps post workout)

- Rolling on a golf ball (helps loosen the foot during the day)

- Diligent calf stretching (very helpful for me)

- Strassburg sock (reduces the pain of the first few steps of the day)

- Stopping running for a few weeks (didn't make a measurable difference)

- Switching to less shoe (very helpful for me)

I find that speed intervals and hill workouts can aggravate the condition so I avoid them in the early stages of healing.  My current bout is on a VERY slow recovery trajectory but it is getting better.  I managed to run a few PRs in the last few months so I think that you can run through it if you are mindful of recovery.

With regards to PF, my only advice is to be prepared to try a couple of different things until you find what works for you.  I have a friend with PF who swears by the superfeet inserts that did nothing for me and may have made my condition worse.    As to changing your running form.....proceed carefully......this may be VERY difficult from what I have observed in other runners.

Good luck

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Happy to be running

Thanks JML! For what it's worth I laid off running for one full month and it did not help one bit. So now I am determined to just keep running. I have tried many of the things you mentioned with calf stretches being my favorite. My left foot still hurts when I run but it is a dull pain and much much better than the first few steps after sleeping or sitting for awhile.

Why is it sideways?

I've run through PF. It f'in hurts, and it's stupid, but hey what are ya gonna do. You eat pain like breakfast cereal. You're a runner.

andee1296

I had PF last spring. Podiatrist said I could run through it, just recommended cutting back some and choosing softer and more level surfaces. I did the icing and some stretching but what helped me most, I thought, was: 1) sleeping in a night splint (I just used one by Futuro); and 2) Meloxicam (generic for Mobic). Ibuprofen didn't really help but I thought the Meloxicam really knocked it out. I'd say the PF lasted about 5 months and has faded away, I haven't had any problem with it for about 5 months now.

DoppleBock

I have never had it

I know lots of people that have had it

They all run through it

Most of them change to running in the PM ~ They seem to have less pain later in day while running

All of them took 18-24 months before it went away

If so did you change your running form? What PT did you do? Did you run all your runs at a easy pace? I guess most of all did it go away without having to stop running?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

ROD in Miami

Have had it on and off during my decades of running and have always run through it.  JML's advice above about dealing with it is right on.  I also have found that not running, or decreasing my running volume, does zero to help.

Tried to run through it. Made the problem worse. Took several months off. It went away and did not come back. ymmv.

juniordo1

Been dealing with it since my first marathon last April. Tried most everything you will find mentioned as replies to your question. Not running for 8 weeks while strengthening and stretching did ZERO good. Trigger point massage in the shin area, went to a neutral shoe from a stability shoe, and icing after every run has put me back in the game and I can walk in the morning. Pain not completely gone but very manageable. Just my .02

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

developed pf (both feet) during the later half of 2011 through Jan-feb of last year while training for marathon.   pretty much declared successfully over it around March.   so about 6-7 months.    somehow still kept 100 mpm through it (barely for a few months). here is what i did.

new shoes-same brand/model - I was trying to push more miles out of them to save $'s

cut out all speedwork & most hills (cant completely cut out because of where I live)

cushioned insoles for work shoes & then new work shoes

dropped mileage about 40% & then started to work out a new training plan with a more balanced approach around March/April

listened very closely to what my feet were telling me.  at 1st sign of any kind of pain (especially shooting pains) would stop & walk home.

some days would go 1/4 mile at most & head home.  some days 4-6 (all easy) 

easy stretching, motrin,  doing ABC's with toes/feet BEFORE getting out of bed.  there were some days that would have to literally crawl 

to the bathroom.    doing those ABC's with toes was one of the best things I did to lessen pain.

changed my marathon (Seattle) to hm & then backed out completely.

got some physical therapy  for a few sessions but this was not until almost over it-should have gone sooner 

run more on softer surfaces-less hilly trail runs!

what did not Help & made it worse:

taping,  superfeet,  night splints, pushing through pain-once decided that I would have to drop plan to run marathon & then HM was when I  cut back on mileage & intensity.

bottom line, did a combination of things so don't really know which  1 or 2 or 3 changes was most beneficial.  Maybe dropping  my weekly 2 1/2 -3  hour run (18-20 miles) that was run on a rolling, rough, cambered road.  there were definitely some days on this course that I really should not have done.   i followed my plan pretty well & part of that plan was at 2 months out I was going to alternate my Sunday  runs.  1 week -LR   alternate week 10-12 miles faster pace with more tempo added.  never got to that point in training before PF set in.

In other words, when it comes to PF, the cure is absolutely different for everyone.

I got rid of mine moderately quickly through practically no running for nearly a month and then taping for every run for 2 months and using Superfeet. Of course, as has been pointed out, this may make your PF worse.

Good luck!

xor

I had PF for a bit when I was coming back from a stress fractured femur.  TMTS.

It didn't last long, thankfully.  Though I do not know how I fixed it... luckily I flew right through that achy period.

I was a PF Flyer.

Happy to be running

I appreciate the advice everyone, it does me good to hear about others dealing with this! Taking off doesn't work for most it seems, certainly not for my one month experiment.

Thanks Jeff! Smile

Happy to be running

I was a PF Flyer.

LOL SRL! Smile

JML

One other thought: I found a guy near me that does ART (Active Release) massage. He also has had PF and has been working on my afflicted foot. While not for the squeamish or pain averse, ART seems to helping to accelerate the healing process. I can actually hear a crackling sound as he works the bottom of the foot to break up things and make the fascia more pliable. Kinda creepy....

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.