Using the word LOOSE properly (Read 740 times)

gracerunner

One doesn't LOOSE weight. One "LOSES" weight. LOOSE: -verb 20. to let loose; free from bonds or restraint. 21. to release, as from constraint, obligation, or penalty. 22. Chiefly Nautical. to set free from fastening or attachment: to loose a boat from its moorings. 23. to unfasten, undo, or untie, as a bond, fetter, or knot. 24. to shoot; discharge; let fly: to loose missiles at the invaders. 25. to make less tight; slacken or relax. LOSE: -verb 1. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it. 2. to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered: I just lost a dime under this sofa. 3. to suffer the deprivation of: to lose one's job; to lose one's life. 4. to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister. 5. to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure. 6. (of a clock or watch) to run slower by: The watch loses three minutes a day. 7. to give up; forfeit the possession of: to lose a fortune at the gaming table. 8. to get rid of: to lose one's fear of the dark; to lose weight.
        That said, I agree. Good post.

Big Chicken!

I am such a fanatic about spelling and using the proper word. Loose vs Lose is a huge one for me. Also, Effect vs Affect (think of the A one as the action causing the E). Thanks for being the bad cop!! Big grin
          Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
            Hear here!
            Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.

Into the wild

Whilst I find myself wincing when I encounter this kind of mistake I would rather accept it than alienate those who either don't take the time to proof read or have no notion of their error. I find it petty...sorry Confused

Shut up and run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I could care less... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Can we do Farther vs. Further next?

Runners run

I'm trying to loose weight. Clowning around

- Anya

invisible

I could care less... Wink
                      Well, you're not a grammarian whore, then! Big grin
                      90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                      invisible

Can we do Farther vs. Further next?
                        How much further into farther, do you want to go?
                        JakeKnight

Seriously? No - seriously? Do you spell "douche" with a "ch" or an "sh?" No idea why that question just occurred to me.
                          Whilst I find myself wincing when I encounter this kind of mistake I would rather accept it than alienate those who either don't take the time to proof read or have no notion of their error. I find it petty...sorry Confused
                          "Petty" is rather kind.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Allright you douchebags, listen up! I'm loosing my mind here over reiterate. Iterate means to say again. To REiterate means what!? To say it again again? I know many of you could care less, but this bugs me even more than irregardless.
                            invisible

That's about the size of it. One means 'repeat' and the other means 'to repeat repeatedly'. Smile
                                Allright you douchebags, listen up! I'm loosing my mind here over reiterate. Iterate means to say again. To REiterate means what!? To say it again again? I know many of you could care less, but this bugs me even more than irregardless.
                                I agree irregardless Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\ Function: adverb Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless Date: circa 1912 nonstandard : regardless usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright