Next generation gets it (Read 297 times)

Runner Mike

I think it's putting too much emphasis on one workout. As a runner, he should learn (and you should teach him) the no one workout is going to make or break his training..good or bad. You should be teaching him that progression is over time and consistency is the key.

You don't run hard workouts just to run them. The goal of the workouts is to have good efforts at competition, especially in high school. Have a great "hard" workout doesn't help the team.  

I like his dedication and his commitment though.

joescott

Hey, mab, you sound like an awesome band director.  I also LOVE our band director and his assistant director (from whom my youngest son takes percussion private lessons).  He is much as BoilerTom described theirs; he is passionate and dedicated, but like you he also cooperates very well with the other activities.  Last fall there were at least two occasions when I was trekking kids from a CC meet to a band competition, but that was OK with me.  I enjoyed spending time with the kids (not just my kids) as their taxi driver!  Like about everyone here has said, I enjoy both.  I'm glad that my sons have been in both activities and I think both have enriched them a great deal.  Icing on the cake was when our band director came out on a chilly November morning last fall to watch our CC teams (and several of his musicians)! compete in the state championships.  That was REALLY REALLY cool.

All that being said.... like mikey's daughter, my oldest son has decided to call it quits on band next year.  I will actually miss him being in the marching band and all that -- I have loved watching him march the last 3 years -- but he has decided that he just doesn't want to go through all that again next year and he wants to just focus on school and running.  My will-be sophomore will still be playing his trumpet and marching next year though, so I don't have to give up marching band just yet!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

So to the OP...kudos to you and your boy.  If I understand correctly, he's fulfilling his commitment to the band and putting in the work it takes to better his running.  That'll pay off later!

Yes, that's right.  I wasn't going to just let him get out of his band commitment.  He still played (and the band got a 1)!  But it was a timing thing.  The bus wasn't going to leave until more than an hour after they played, and that's why he was going to miss track practice.  By picking him up, I was merely bridging that time gap.  He fulfilled both commitments.  I guess I just thought it post-worthy because I think back in high school, I think I'd have certainly seized on the opportunity afforded by the music competition to skip the hard run.  Might be why I think I seriously underachieved as a HS runner.  Just glad to see the son a better man than his father.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.