GPS accuracy? (Read 1515 times)

Wing, one other decision factor is whether or not you intend to continue carrying a cellphone on your runs.  I don't, but I know lots of people who absolutely MUST.  If you're already going to be toting that device and the minor positional error is within your tolerance ... do you really need a second device?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Even though it's happened nearly seven million times already, I always look forward to the "Uncertainty is woven into the fabric of the universe" post and wait with bated breath for it to pop up in any new GPS accuracy threads.

Thanks for being on top of things, Globule.  Strong work as always.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Even though it's happened nearly seven million times already, I always look forward to the "Uncertainty is woven into the fabric of the universe" post and wait with bated breath for it to pop up in any new GPS accuracy threads.

Thanks for being on top of things, Globule.  Strong work as always.

Thank you, MM.  Now if only I could write a script to automatically post it anytime the words "GPS", "accuracy" and/or "error" pop up in a subject line.  Then I would never actually have to read any of the forums again.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jules2

With elevation I'd assume that the cumulative effect of the watch being on your wrist which is moving up and down must effect it? I'll test this theory out in bed tonight and let you know.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

With elevation I'd assume that the cumulative effect of the watch being on your wrist which is moving up and down must effect it? I'll test this theory out in bed tonight and let you know.

lol...but i doubt you'll lock onto satellites assuming you have a roof over your head. 

bhearn

Actually, no joke, you can tell the difference between running clockwise and counterclockwise on a track, because the Garmin is on the inner wrist in one direction, and the outer in the other.

Feeling the growl again

Actually, no joke, you can tell the difference between running clockwise and counterclockwise on a track, because the Garmin is on the inner wrist in one direction, and the outer in the other.

I tried that once during a beer mile and, strangely, it plotted a really weaving path during the last part of the race.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Imminent Catastrophe

Today I ran 20 laps on the local track. Garmin read 8.19 km. So now I must inform the School District that their track is long.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

joescott

This is why GPS is not used to certify race courses and it's silly when people say "the race was mis-measured because my GPS recorded 26.4 miles for this marathon".  - spaniel

In spite of the fact that you might think that my running co-workers should know better, I hear this kind of thing all the time and I am COMPELLED by the spirit of truth and justice within me to correct them.  They say things like, "Well, my official time in that half marathon was 1:31:12, but I really ran about a 1:30:30 because the course was really 13.23."  And I tell them something like, "No, you bonehead, I'm sorry to inform you that you did not, in fact, run that fast."  Two guys I work with, both of whom are also pretty fast, told me these kinds of tales just within the last two weeks.... well, the course was long, so I was probably a little faster than my time.  No!  It is possible the course was long, but don't trust GPS to tell you that!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

See, this is why I only rely on the footpod to tell me that the race was mis-measured.

Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I made a course for a 5K once and measured it with a wheel so I know it was accurate.  The race went off no problem, but all the weenies wearing their GPS watches were complaining that the course was off.  I asked 10 guys what they all had and they all had different distances.

At that point, I asked them, well, if all of you have different readings, why should I believe any of you. 

Jeff

So, when I run a 5K on a course that advertises to be certified, and my watches reads exactly 3.1 miles, should I be suspicious? This has happened a couple times already. Just one of those things that makes me go hmmm...

So, when I run a 5K on a course that advertises to be certified, and my watches reads exactly 3.1 miles, should I be suspicious? This has happened a couple times already. Just one of those things that makes me go hmmm...

Congratulations.  Your GPS is perfect.

In the case I'm talking about, there were 10 GPS devices.  10 different readings.  Which one was right?  Why should I have believed any of them?

Jeff