No GPS Devices Connected? (Read 903 times)

RunsForCake

Is there a glitch in the system this AM?

I've got my Garmin plugged into my laptop like I usually do and I keep on getting the error message no GPS devices connected.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mine worked fine just now.

RunsForCake

Hmmmm....I've never had problems until today.

It says it detects the GPS and than it gives me the no GPS devices connected error message.

Weird.

I just tried again...same error message.

I was able to download a run.

Last night I got to the screen that states something like, "the run has been downloaded. A message will appear when it is ready." However, when I clicked the Community tab, an error appeared. I wasn't able to get that run from the GPS. This happened once before, a few months ago. It works today for me though.

Lazy idiot

Is there a glitch in the system this AM?

I've got my Garmin plugged into my laptop like I usually do and I keep on getting the error message no GPS devices connected.

I've been getting this message off and on for a few months now, but it's not (just) RA.  My computer simply will not recognize my Garmin (not GTC, not MotionBased, not SportTracks, not RA, I tried them all in the name of a fix).  I've tried all the soft and hard resets I can find, uninstalled and reinstalled software, and it's still hit or mostly miss.

Tick tock

RunsForCake

I've been getting this message off and on for a few months now, but it's not (just) RA.  My computer simply will not recognize my Garmin (not GTC, not MotionBased, not SportTracks, not RA, I tried them all in the name of a fix).  I've tried all the soft and hard resets I can find, uninstalled and reinstalled software, and it's still hit or mostly miss.

You might be right  about it being my laptop and not a RA issue. 

I brought my Garmin into the office and was able to upload my run with no problem.

What a pain in the ass.  You say you've been going through this for a few months now?   Sounds like you've tried everything.  Today was the first day I had issues.

*fingers crossed* It won't become a regular thing.

Lazy idiot

You might be right  about it being my laptop and not a RA issue. 

I brought my Garmin into the office and was able to upload my run with no problem.

What a pain in the ass.  You say you've been going through this for a few months now?   Sounds like you've tried everything.  Today was the first day I had issues.

*fingers crossed* It won't become a regular thing.

I own another machine, but haven't set up the Garmin on that one just yet.  Mostly because I'm criminally lazy.  Perhaps I should do that. 

Good luck!

Tick tock

RunsForCake

I own another machine, but haven't set up the Garmin on that one just yet.  Mostly because I'm criminally lazy.  Perhaps I should do that. 

Good luck!

LOL!  The upload of the Garmin onto another computer does not take long.

Give it a whirl...at least you know you've got an alternative way to upload your runs if your main computer is still being a pain in the ass.

Lazy idiot

LOL!  The upload of the Garmin onto another computer does not take long.

Give it a whirl...at least you know you've got an alternative way to upload your runs if your main computer is still being a pain in the ass.

I can always load them manually to RA, just like we did in the old days, too. 

Though that doesn't do much for my lazy rep, though.

Tick tock

RunsForCake

Mmmmmmmanually?

Bite your tongue!

Next you are going to tell me about the really old days when you had to actually use pen and paper to log your miles. 

eric :)

RunsForCake,

The error is entirely on your computer and does not involve the RA server.  The Garmin Communicator plugin did not find your GPS for whatever reason.  It happens to me sporadically.  In my case, it's probably because I plugged the GPS in as the import page is loading, which didn't leave the computer much time to connect to the GPS.

If nothing has changed on your computer (no new plugin, drivers, etc), you can try clicking the Detect button or refreshing the page, it should find it again.  If that doesn't do it, then something is up with your Garmin plugin.

MTA: I received email from a user saying that he experienced this problem.  It turned out that his computer installed IE8 and he needed to enable the Garmin Communicator ActiveX control again (there's a yellow bar that pops up at the top of the browser).

My far left contact on the Garmin has been giving me grief, it suffers from "black contact" syndrome.  I clean it with a pencil eraser or scratch it with a fingernail and my connection problems disappear.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

RunsForCake

Thanks for all the responses.

I tried your trick BadDawg and I'm still having trouble today.

Eric, since nothing has changed on my computer I'm going to agree that something is up with my Garmin plug in.  No yellow bar on the top of my page saying I need to allow access to any programs either.

I think I'll uninstall and reinstall the Garmin on my computer and see if that helps. 

Guess I'll be uploading from the office again today.  LOL!

eric :)

What happens when you go to Garmin's test page?

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

You need to wait a little for the results to come up.

Lazy idiot

What happens when you go to Garmin's test page?

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

You need to wait a little for the results to come up.

I've done this, and I still get nothing.

Tick tock