running computer advice.. (Read 808 times)

rkeddie

Garmin 305, 405, or polar s625x? Will be using it for training up to marathon distance this year, and hopefully to include tri's next year. Mostly road mileage. Thanks!

Oh Mighty Wing

depends on what you are looking for it to do. I have the 205 and I LOVE it! I am not worrying about HR so I didn't bother to spend the money for the HR monitor.
      rkeddie

I am looking for hr and pacing.
          ... and hopefully to include tri's next year...
          A tri guy told me Garmins (some Garmins ?) are not good for water, so make sure you check that. I know the Polar 625x is ok for swimming.
          MissGiggles

I just got the 305. It is on sale at costco.com I believe.

Giants Fan

I have the 305 and LOVE IT!! Can't imagine life without it.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

The Greatest of All Time

405 just because it's smaller.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

405 just because it's smaller.
                  Marcus, you returned your 305, correct? Didn't you have issues w/it rubbing your wrist raw? I take it the 405 doesn't give you the problem... I've been intentionally holding off buying one of these dang things b/c I'm trying to be like the hippie recommends, and feel the kung fu. Sure would be nice to have sometimes though. Especially on the easy days when I feel great and want to go fast! I still struggle to keep the beast at bay.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, you returned your 305, correct? Didn't you have issues w/it rubbing your wrist raw? I take it the 405 doesn't give you the problem...
                    Yes, yes, and yes! Functionally they are almost identical. It was a size/comfort issue for me. With 305's being as cheap as they are now, it's a great deal if it works for you.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    C-R

The kung fu is strong with my 305. No chafing issues for me and it was certainly lower price than the 405.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

rkeddie

Thanks for the advice. Seems like no one is into the Polar as much as the 305/405. Since I saw that Costco deal, I think the 305's got it!

Slow-smooth-fast

The 405 requires a foot clip on sensor, which in my opinion is a load of ...... if you do a lot of off road and fell running. Man, I go through streams and jump off rocks, and get covered in proper thick dirt! Rather stick with my 305

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Former runner

The 405 requires a foot clip on sensor, which in my opinion is a load of ......
                            My 405 doesn't use a foot clip. You can use a foot pod for Treadmill running, but it's optional.

Ross

I use the Garmin 305 for marathon distance training and I love it. One thing to know about it is the pace calculation is about 10 - 20 strides behind your actual pace in my estimation. Today on my long run I was paying particular attention to this. I knew it was behind, but today I counted strides. However, the heart rate stays current. Also, I would highly recommend downloading SportTracks (freeware) from www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ . Great software! Beats the software that comes with the Garmin hands down. Carole
                              2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carole, thanks for quantifying what I suspected. That's useful information.