Cow Bell (Read 343 times)

Julia1971

I think there may have been a poll about this before but I couldn't find it.  And, I'm planning to cheer for Marine Corps Marathon runners tomorrow.  Should I bring my cow bell?

In years past, I have found I get mixed reactions.  Most people seem to ignore it but then there are a few runners who look like they want to cram the cow bell down my throat.  (FWIW, I cheer in the later miles when most runners are pretty irritable, I suppose.  I ring the cow bell at 1-2 second intervals while saying things like "Looking good runners!", "Nice job runners!", "You got this runners!".  So, it could be they sense that I'm not as invested as the cow bell might suggest because I'm phoning it in verbally.)

Cowbell good. More, etc. The yelling, though I know it's well intentioned, usually annoys me if I notice it at all.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Early in the race - the yelling, the cowbell, the funny signs, all good.

Late in a marathon if I'm really suffering - I've got a fever, and the only prescription is STFU.

Dave

Julia1971

Early in the race - the yelling, the cowbell, the funny signs, all good.

Late in a marathon if I'm really suffering - I've got a fever, and the only prescription is STFU.

I'm thinking of bringing mini Snickers bars for the runners who aren't themselves after mile 20.  Smile

delicate flower

I'm thinking of bringing mini Snickers bars for the runners who aren't themselves after mile 20.  Smile

lmao

The more cowbell the better.  I tend to not really acknowledge the spectators in the late stages of a race when I am suffering, but I appreciate hearing the general noise of crowd support.

<3

I appreciate any and all encouragement. Thanks for doing that. Keep up the cow bell.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Much better than cow bell   Though not sure about chewing peanuts at mile 20.

Maybe something melty?

steph  

kcam

Instead of those Gu packets they handout at mile 17 I'd take a snickers bite-size fer sure.  And, of course, more cowbell.

beat

Break on through

Don't Fear The Reaper, and keep the cow bell!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Julia1971

Much better than cow bell   Though not sure about chewing peanuts at mile 20.

Maybe something melty?

I'm going to pack some Gus and mini waters, too.  But, I think runners will hit a Dunkin Donuts and a water stop just before they get to me.

What's the deal with oranges?  I see spectators handing those out at races.  Is it that they're refreshing?  I wouldn't want something acidic in my stomach while running a marathon.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Keep the cowbell and the cheering and the treats.

(Lose the

"you got this" ... Grates my guord; if I got it (a foregone conclusion), then why bother? Or, how do you know what "this" it is that I'm trying to get? I may very well not got this. )

Liz

pace sera, sera

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I don't get the oranges, either. Maybe it's a way to get water if you can't tolerate straight water? I have a hard time with water on a race; it seems to just slosh around in my stomach and make me nauseous so I go for the Gatorade. But oranges seem too acidic.

I'd much prefer Snicker bites to gu, but I've trained with gu so I'd probably pass up anything else. Just seeing people out there on the course offering stuff is a big lift. And yes to cowbell (in moderation)!

At one race, someone was handing out Kleenex. I actually needed some badly so that was nice.

I've been offered beer on a marathon course. When I passed it up, the person offering said, "I hate to tell you, but someone's already won this race; have a beer!"

cowbell = good

the only cheer I despise is "you're almost there".  People have differing definitions of "almost".   In a marathon for me, almost means that if I pass out, I am close enough to fall across the finish line.

Julia1971

(Lose the

"you got this" ... Grates my guord; if I got it (a foregone conclusion), then why bother? Or, how do you know what "this" it is that I'm trying to get? I may very well not got this. )

LOL!  That's the sign I made!  And, I thought the same thing - What is the "this" I'm telling them they have?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

(Lose the

That's kind of the point: You're obviously having a lot of self-doubt, wondering if you "got" anything. The supporter is trying to dispel your doubts. Or make you angry.