Advice on asthma please (Read 73 times)

muppy

Over the years I would get an asthma inhaler when my breathing got bad. Then I would stop because they are too expensive. I am currently on the Asmanex twisthaler which is great. I run almost 1:00 faster for my easy pace because I can breathe!  I have good insurance but my 40% for a formulary brands is over $70.00 a month.  Does anybody use a maintenance inhaler that is less expensive that line?  Thanks, Mark

kilkee

runktrun

So you're using a long acting steroid inhaler.  Advair is similar (corticosteroid + beta agonist), but I can't tell you how the price would work out with your insurance.  I have had luck only using advair for a few weeks around an important race, then only using albuterol as needed during my mileage building phases, but my asthma doesn't really affect me when running easy.

The best thing to do would be to ask your doctor about similar drugs and check with your insurance about price, or ask your doctor about weaning off the steroids and trying only a beta agonist, which seem to be cheaper or have more generics available.  There are some brand names (Ventolin?) with arformoterol that are long(er) acting beta agonists.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Best Present Ever

Many chain pharmacies have specific drugs on a formulary for a low price ($4-$10). They all vary a little bit so you have to look around. I see that CVS has a steroid inhaler on their value formulary. Can you work with your doc to see if one of the meds available inexpensively in your area will work for you?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ack, I thought the $40/month we pay for my Symbicort was bad!  Unfortunately, I don't know that any of these combo meds are generic, yet.  It seems like there should be something, by now.

I would look into mamaofthree's solution.  Your doc may be leery to try what kilkee suggested, as those LABA-only meds come with a black-box warning.  Without the steroid component there is a greater risk of death from asthma from those meds.  I know, it seems counterintuitive that an asthma med could increase your risk of deadly attack.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The best thing to do would be to ask your doctor 

This should be /thread. Everyone is different.

My sitch. I take my albuterol inhaler before every single run. And I never have a problem during a run, although I carry it with me when racing half or marathon. (Because the ONE TIME I had a problem, it was during my first marathon, and I didn't have it.) It may be that I could do without it on shorter/easier runs, but there have been a few times I forgot to take it, and I start to feel it after the first 1-2 miles. So I have no interest in experimenting on this. About every 1-2 years I get a severe, extended attack triggered by a respiratory infection or some such thing. I then go on Advair for several months, then eventually wean myself off it till the next time.

I think both the Albuterol and Advair are pretty cheap, and my insurance generally sucks. One tip: check prices at multiple pharmacies. I used to think it didn't matter, but prices for the exact same drug can vary dramatically.

Dave

muppy

Thanks everyone, I am  going to the doctor tonight, so I was just looking for suggestions of what works so we can discuss it and hopefully find something cheaper.

Could try smokin' a bowl before your next run, weed is a bronchodilator ya know.