Strange "twanging" at back of knee. (Read 742 times)

Nev

I wonder if anyone could put my mind at rest. I have just come back from a couple of weeks of nearly no running after a slight calf injury but now I have a strange "twanging" sensation at the inside edge of the back of my knee when I run. Anyone know what this might be and weather I should worry ? I have rested my calf and had a bit of physio and that now seems to be ok but I did 3 miles tonight and for at least the first 2 miles there was this stranges sensation which didnt really hurt but didnt feel nice. I must admit that thanks to a certain young lady on this forum I found myself saying "Oh just HTFU and run you big girls blouse" but I really dont want to do any more damage as I have a bunny to catch !! Any advice would be appreciated. Nev

Oh Mighty Wing

have you been stretching well? could it be that your calf is just really tight?
        Find anything more out about this? A friend of mine describes a knee problem he is having exactly as you describe yours, but he hasn't had much luck identifying what is wrong. It has been bothering him for 2-3 weeks now. His is local to the knee though, nothing wrong with his calfs.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

So your first run back is at pretty much your fastest pace?!?! When I have heard of this type of feeling, there have been two causes. 1) Changing speeds too quickly (usually from running fast to running slow) 2) Overstriding. Based on your log it doesn't seem you take the mostly slow approach that most here recommend.
          Nev

I agree with what you are saying in that my first run back was not as slow as it might have been but there are a couple of reasons in my defence 1. I set out with some friends from work without really knowing how far I was going to run (my plan was to see how my calf felt and adjust the distance to suit) What actually happened was as soon as I started running I had this strange feeling in the back of my knee which felt like something (possibly medial hamstrings) were twanging / clicking as I ran so I cut the route short. As I havent run this route sinse joining RA I entered the distance from my Polar Rs400 and foot pod which seems to have been 10% out (this may be because the footpod was on my left foot which is the leg which is playing up) I have now mapped this route and it is in fact 3.6 miles which brings the pace back down to 8:58 which is still a bit quick but towards the end of the run I tried the HTFU method and picked the pace up a bit. I am the first to admit that I run most of my runs at the smae intensity which although obviously slower on the longer runs is nowhere near the suggested pace from something like Mcmillan (9:23 - 10:23) I just cant do it Over the past few days my calf has felt fine and I think the problem must be related to tight hamstrings in some way. Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my log, as you can see I have taken a bit of time off and I now have the best intentions of taking it easy as I really desperately wnt to get back to where I was before I messed my leg up. If anyone would care to suggest a training plan to get me from injury back to 25 miles per week again I would gladly listen to advice. Take care Nev