Backup-XML and re-ingest? (Read 225 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Eric,

Considering the recent "I've been hacked" post, I looked into your personal backup options.  Thank you for providing the XML full-backup format for us.  It doesn't contain a GPS/Map CData block, does it?  Also, I didn't see a way to upload our backups to RunningAHEAD.  In other words, if our stuff is deleted, but we have a recent backup, is there a way we can provide the data to RA to have it restored?

-s (Boy-scout at heart -- Be Prepared!)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

eric :)

When I fixed the zip compression problem the other day, I noticed the GPS data is missing from the workouts.  I remember adding that a long time ago.  It is possible that I forgot to merge that change between branches.  I'll see if I can hunt down that change.

Regardless, one thing I would like to work on as part of the log revamp is a new XML format that will allow more consistent data and reimporting the data.  My only concern is that some users have so much GPS data that the packaging of the XML file will be quite resource intensively and will take multiple minutes.  I need to come up with a scheme to handle this situation.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If user-wait is the concern, you could always bundle it in the background and email when the file is ready.  If CPU time is the problem, maybe only allow people do to it once a week or something.  Or batch the job for when the system isn't in much use (4am?).  But then you might end up fulfilling many more requests during that period of time.  Not sure you can "nice" the job's priority.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do