FitBit or another brand? (Read 492 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I won a Fitbit through an exercise challenge at work; didn't much care for tracking my movements as it turned out.

I liked the device itself, and the functionality in the app -- if you track calories I think it would be incredibly useful.  I did find that I had problems seating mine in the charger properly, but I don't know if others had the same problem.

Feeling the growl again

Just out of curiosity, what is this "sleep monitoring" feature y'all are talking about.  What exactly does it monitor, and why is it important?

It just senses movement so you can see how soundly you were sleeping.  During the short week I had my JawBone before it stopped functioning, I was in the middle of a bout of insomnia/lack of restful sleep.  You could see quite clearly on the data how I would never stay still long enough for REM sleep, I was having a period of significant movement every 20 minutes or so all night.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

northernman

Fight The Future

I really like my new Mio Fuse. The heart rate detector works great and it's very comfy. Also works with my Garmin (yes, I do wear both when I run, one on each wrist)

Arimathea

Tessa

I wear both a Fitbit One and a Weight Watchers ActiveLink. Different mechanisms. I do track food on WW so like having the activity points calculated for me, and the AL is waterproof. Fitbit is the type that clips onto my bra, no exposed metal. The tip did fall off once and they sent me a new cover for it. I think it overestimates mileage a little but it does a fine job of counting steps.

Intentionally Blank

That's cool. I suspect it would make me even more anxious about getting good sleep, though.

It just senses movement so you can see how soundly you were sleeping.  During the short week I had my JawBone before it stopped functioning, I was in the middle of a bout of insomnia/lack of restful sleep.  You could see quite clearly on the data how I would never stay still long enough for REM sleep, I was having a period of significant movement every 20 minutes or so all night.

not lazy, just tired

Another vote for not getting a Jawbone. Mine would go from fully charged to stone cold dead in a nano second whenever I went outside in cold weather (even though it was against my skin and under multiple layers). I gave up on it.

I have a vivosmart now and wear it all day, including when I run (I don't bother wearing it at night) but I use my Fenix 2 for running, hiking, and skiing.

Not if it makes sense.

I have the FitBit Charge HR and before had the Zip.  I never had any problems with the zip other than not remembering to put it in my pocket and I washed it a couple times but it was fine.  I've had the Charge HR which tracks heart rate all of the time, floors (not always accurate), and sleep.  So far I love it.  I like tracking heart rate but the straps never work for me. You can't wear it in the shower though but supposedly a little water doesn't hurt it.  I have to charge it up every 3 - 4 days which isn't a big deal.  I just do it a couple times a week while I am sitting at work.

FitBit is also coming out with the Surge soon which has GPS.  It is a bit larger than the Charge HR. I wear my ChargeHR all the time and don't notice it. I even wear it on the same wrist as my Garmin as it needs to sit further back on the wrist anyway.  I'm not sure if the Flex would be comfortable to wear all of the time.  Looking forward to hearing what others think of it when it is released.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

ud32

OK sounds like I should not exchange it for the Jawbone. Anyone know if the FitBit Flex has a vibration alert if you've been sitting too long ? I too have a desk job and find myself sitting for hours on end - not good!

MaryAguila

I love my Jawbone. Got it for Christmas. It is tough but also looks nice Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

How well do the  wrist activity monitors measure distance (miles) for running on indoor tracks?  

Feeling the growl again

How well do the  wrist activity monitors measure distance (miles) for running on indoor tracks?  

The devices being discussed here are not meant to accurately measure distance.  Those that do give a distance will give you a rough guesstimate.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I didn't think so.  DC Rainmaker shows it on his charts, but doesn't really discuss it.  Maybe it needs to be accurately calibrated to miles using a GPS.

I've had my Jawbone UP for 2 years and really like it. I can calibrate my run with the record so it knows how to track my stride. Once calibrated, when I sync, my Jawbone is very close to my Garmin.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Feeling the growl again

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

DW loves her Fitbit Charge HR and the distance measurement is not bad, or as we used to say in government, "it's close enough for government work".