Increase in Heart Rate as Miles Increase (Read 134 times)

mehougar

Greetings Running Community,

I have been doing some running for about two years now.  I've done six half marathons and a marathon.  I am certainly in the beginning stages of running development and I am seeking some advice in terms of training.  Some things about myself:

Male

Age 30

Weight 218-220 lbs.

What I am noticing is that as I run increased distances that my heart rate elevates despite the relative steadiness of my pace.  I run at roughly a 150 bpm at the start of the race, and it will increase roughly 15 bpm by about 10 miles.  Is this a lack of conditioning?  Is something in my diet contributing to this?

Any advice or comments would be highly appreciated.  Even if it is just pointing out an article of some kind I would greatly appreciate it.

I think you are looking at "Cardiac drift" which is described here http://running.competitor.com/2014/05/training/the-effect-of-cardiac-drift-on-heart-rate-training_48317/2

It is normal.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

runmichigan

What you are looking at is cardiac drift.  Most commonly it is due to the body becoming dehydrated and/or deficient in certain electrolytes as you exercise.  15 bpm does seem a bit on the high side though not anything particularly worrying.  5 to 10 bpm increase is more common.  You might want to review your fueling strategy - both pre-run and during run.  Are you dehydrated prior to your runs?  What do you take in during your longer runs to keep from becoming dehydrated or deficient in some electrolytes?

hectortrojan

I think it is normal that if you are running at constant pace, your heart rate increase gradually. Less fit you are, higher the increase is. More fit you become, lesser the increase become.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

True. And/or the more fit you are, the longer you can go before the increase (drift) starts.

I think it is normal that if you are running at constant pace, your heart rate increase gradually. Less fit you are, higher the increase is. More fit you become, lesser the increase become.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Completely normal. As you tire, your body becomes less efficient at movement and heart rate rises.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental