How far are you prepared to travel for a Race? (Read 882 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Just been reading how many races you guys run in a year. How do you fit so many in. I might manage 4 this year! I would have to travel all over Ireland to fit in 20 races. How far do you travel?

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

jeffdonahue

Well, I am doing a 7 races Grand Prix series this year which requires some longer drives. I had to drive an hour and 15 minutes to get to Rhode Island for a 5K last month, and next month I'll drive an hour and a half to the 10K in the series. My wife typically will not travel to a race with me if the drive takes longer than the race does. But I typically look for stuff that is within a half hour drive.

TRIing to beat the heat!

The farthest I've driven so far for a race is 3 hours. I'll cover this distance again twice this coming November for two races. The races are triathlons, though. I wouldn't drive this far for a 5K or 10K. I'd consider it for longer running distances if the event was one that I really wanted to do... like a few of the Walt Disney World running events.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If money were no object I would love to travel the world to run races. The Loch Ness Marathon would be #1 on my list of races.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I don't have to travel very far to fit a lot of races in. Farthest I've gone for a race was less than two hours. If I wanted to, I could probably race every weekend, and some weeknights, while never driving more than an hour to an hour and a half.

Prince of Fatness

I don't have to travel very far to fit a lot of races in. Farthest I've gone for a race was less than two hours. If I wanted to, I could probably race every weekend, and some weeknights, while never driving more than an hour to an hour and a half.
              Same here. I live very close to Allentown, PA. There always seems to be something going on in that area. Alot of races at the Jersey shore, too. That's further for me to drive, but still within 2 hours.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Depends on the length of the run. I would cross states and time zones for a good marathon. For a 5k, perhaps I would go to the next town over.
                Mishka-old log

If I wanted to, I could probably race every weekend, and some weeknights, while never driving more than an hour to an hour and a half.
                  Same here. We've got a good local running club with 1 to 3 races (within 1.5 hour travel time) almost every weekend year-round.
                  Scout7

Alot of races at the Jersey shore, too. That's further for me to drive, but still within 2 hours.
                    Yeah, but it's Jersey, so really not worth it.
                      The farthest I have traveled was five hours. It was my first half marathon, and the focus/reason for the trip, but we stayed a few days making it a nice family vacation. Ten minutes to two hours is my normal range, with most races an hour or less away.

Lazy idiot

To date: about 70 miles. As of 11/23, approximately 395 miles.

Tick tock

I hope to travel all the way from NC to Oregon for the Eugene Marathon next year! To date, all of my races have been within a 4 hour drive.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, but it's Jersey, so really not worth it.
                            Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll admit the state is going down the toilet and I am planning an exit strategy, but the races down at the shore are generally good ego builders ... fast and flat courses.

Not at it at all. 

Imminent Catastrophe

If money were no object I would love to travel the world to run races. The Loch Ness Marathon would be #1 on my list of races.
                              Just do it!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've traveled about 5 hours (Providence, RI to Burlington, VT) for a marathon and I've gone a little over an hour for a 10K. There are enough races near me that I do most of them locally. In October I'll be going from Providence to Chicago for a marathon, so that'll be my longest to date. I like to travel and when I do I look to see if there is a race at my destination. I've yet to find one (missed a 5K in Belize by mere hours), but hopefully I'll eventually hit one very far from home.

-------------------------------------
                                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07