How far are you prepared to travel for a Race? (Read 882 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just do it!
    Someday, maybe... Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Just been reading how many races you guys run in a year. How do you fit so many in. I might manage 4 this year! I would have to travel all over Ireland to fit in 20 races. How far do you travel?
      1,960 miles for my last marathon. I live near Boston, which is a huge running city. On an average weekend, I can't spit without hitting a road race - if I worked it right, I'm sure I could run 20 in a month without ever traveling more than 10 miles from my house.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If money were no object I would love to travel the world to run races. The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon would be #1 on my list of races.
        Broken.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Broken.
          Heh, I'd travel to that one, but not to run it...someone has to hold the HTFU sign! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Heh, I'd travel to that one, but not to run it...someone has to hold the HTFU sign! Big grin
            There will be HTFU paraphernalia at Monkey '08 Just sayin'

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There will be HTFU paraphernalia at Monkey '08 Just sayin'
              That reminds me...I still need to order my HTFU bracelet... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I've travelled as far as Phoenix (1300 miles) and Cincinnati (2400) so far, although the Cincy trip was for family. I will race whenever I travel. If I didnt have young kids I would travel for marathons anywhere, probably not for much shorter, I'd travel maybe 3-4 hours for a HM or tri or something only if I was meeting someone else and making a fun weekend out of it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

protoplasm72

The distance I'll travel is proportional to the distance of the race. I've never done a 5k that was more then 15 minutes away. Furthest 8k, 10k, 10 miler, HM were like 30 minutes. I've gone over 1000 miles for a marathon.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

TomD

In an average year I travel over 35,000 miles. I drove 47,500 in 2004 going to 33 marathons/ultra. My longest drive was 1900 miles to Newport, Oregon. I have driven to a marathon/ultra in 48 states. Alaska and Hawaii I flew to both of them. This year I was injured early in the year. My marathon/ultra total will be about 23. My longest was to Northeast CT. I live in Kansas. It was about 1375 miles and 30 hours one way. The gas costed $317 with the gas averaging about $3.80 a gallon at the time. TomD

I'll travel pretty far for some races. So far, halfway across the country, but pretty soon I plan on traveling most of the way across the country. And my country is relatively large.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm pretty sure I'd only leave my area for a marathon. This year I will have traveled/flown to 4 of the 5 marathons I'll run. Not sure how long I can keep telling my husband that running is cheap. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

3,190....but that's as the crow flies Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

Sorry folks, I think I got you beat-- Sea of Galilee, Israel and Mumbai, India (both January '07) Dubai (January '08).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Sorry folks, I think I got you beat-- Sea of Galilee, Israel and Mumbai, India (both January '07) Dubai (January '08).
                              Do you keep a scrapbook of all the places you have run marathons? I bet it has the most amazing pictures! You should do an online photo album of all your medals - the Loch Ness one was awesome, as was the Southwest one that I think was hand painted... I wanna see more!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

We were just discussing that today--New Mexico Marathon is my favorite, it's handmade clay pottery:

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016