How far are you prepared to travel for a Race? (Read 882 times)

I've never gone out of New England for a race, and although most of the races I run are in Vermont, I've run races in Massachusetts and Rhode Island while staying with relatives. Of course, the goal of the trip wasn't to race, I just found a race a few weeks before we left and ran it while there. This January, though, I plan to make a trip to Orlando for the Walt Disney World Marathon, which will be my first trip specifically for a race. It should be a good time: first marathon ever, and I get to meet up with some friends who I worked with down at the Animal Kingdom. Looking forward to it! Also, Perfesser: that picture is the medal from the race? That's got to be the coolest medal I've ever seen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Also, Perfesser: that picture is the medal from the race? That's got to be the coolest medal I've ever seen.
      It is, and, it is.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We were just discussing that today--New Mexico Marathon is my favorite, it's handmade clay pottery:
        Not bad, but it ain't wood... Wink
          Races I've Run Farthest for a half marathon trail race was 60-90 minutes. Farthest for a relay (Texas Independence Relay) was 4 hours. Races I want to Run This Summer, I want to travel to either Yukon or Northwestern Territories, but I am doubtful I will go to either at this point. Races I could have Run Last year while in Switzerland, I thought about doing a 7k or 14k, but didn't.

Vim

Teresadfp

One day at a time

2,500 miles - from Maine to Texas. But I was already going there for a visit, and just looked up races online and found a good 5k. (Well, it was good except for all the dogs running with their owners. Angry)
            db7

16 hrs for Mthon, 12 hours for tri. My wife says she is done. She wont even drive an hour and a half for my next tri. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

I live in a pretty populated area (Massachusetts) and there are races within an hr or so almost every weekend so normally dont travel over an hr and usually more like 30 mins. Like a few other, I would and have traveled farther for a really good race....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Giant Flaming Dork

TomD Let me guess... Nipmuck? http://www.marathonguide.com/sites/nipmucktrail/ I love the disclaimers on the front page.

http://xkcd.com/621/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

FROM ATLANTA,GA TO NYC FOR MARATHON. I AM LOOKIG FOR A RACE NEAR MONTREAL OR BURLINGTON ,VT SEPT 12-21. 865 miles

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

5400 miles, Kona to Bangor ME for the Paul Bunyan Marathon a few years back (the only year that V2 of this race happened... V1 existed before some of you were born). And it was, to put it nicely, not a very well organized affair. But Bangor was still a nifty place to run. I had fun. It was also a nifty place to walk 2+ miles after the race. See, the finish was a few miles from the start. And the promised shuttle was more of a fib.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I cannot comprehend going from Kona to BANGOR for a race! I don't think I would travel there from Portland! How did you pick it?

Imminent Catastrophe

Not bad, but it ain't wood... Wink
                          OK, here goes the obligatory Monkey reference... Monkey medal. Great. Love it. Yada yada yada. Wink But seriously folks, The Monkey medal is really pretty cool, handmade and unique. It's one of my favorites. And I still consider a 3:53 at the Monkey to be one of my best races, like a 3:40 or so on an typical course, something I've only done twice. Like they say, "Once you've gone macaque, you'll never go back!". (This phrase ©PerfesserR 2008) MTA: format

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

xor

I cannot comprehend going from Kona to BANGOR for a race! I don't think I would travel there from Portland! How did you pick it?
                            I'm one of those strange people who travel all over to race. Paul Bunyan was during July, a month that typically doesn't have a ton of marathons, and it fit my calendar. So off I went. Certainly wasn't worth the $$$ I spent to do the race, but I have a nice collection of "things not to do if I ever RD a marathon".

TomD

girmann, You are right it was NipMuck. TomD