How far are you prepared to travel for a Race? (Read 882 times)

#artbydmcbride

Some of those planets where the gravity is way less than here.........

Runners run

Just B.S.

I live in Vancouver. I have raced in Charlottetown (other side of Canada), NYC, Oakland. This year, I will race in Chicago. Next year, I will race in Thailand.

I don't travel *to* race, though. I travel for whatever reason (family, business, leisure, etc) and then find a race that fits my itinerary. I get to explore the city I'm in and there's usually a souvenir (shirt, beer mug, etc) that I can take home with. I actually don't race locally all that often because I can rarely justify paying to run routes I would otherwise run for free (I generally do local races that are small and cheap, or those where I want to support the cause).

I am in NB. Smile

Eastern Canada for the rest of you.

Hubby runs as well and we love to travel and to race so we combine the two and have planned vacations

around races or planned vacations then found a race to do while visiting and an area. Its something we

Can do together and both love so why not?

We have driven to many places in Canada and the North East US for races  ( including Boston for

Hubby in 2010) as well as flown to Bermuda, Florida and Ireland.

Sept we are running a full in Austria as part of our 30 the anniversary trip to Europe. 

So I guess my answer is....... a heck of a long way Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The farthest I've travel specifically for a race is about 2500 miles, Philadelphia suburbs to Henderson, NV near Las Vegas. I did race 2850 miles from home, but that wasn't planned. I was visiting a former coach in Oregon and she suggested I run a local 5K. As far as how far I'm prepared to travel, I'm willing to fly halfway around the world for the right race. I'd love to race in NZ and Australia.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I live in Montreal and out of about 30 races, I've done 3 or 4 locally. The rest I had to travel for. Ottawa, Prague, New Brunswick (hi Beth!), Ontario, Chicago, Boston, Bermuda, Jamaica, the Bahamas. Next year is Chicago again, New York, Cancun and Dusseldorf. There is something really cool about racing (especially a longer race) while seeing a place for the first time. Locally is boring for me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

After the experience I had in my first half (traveled to Ohio from NY), I developed an "I don't travel for races" policy.

But I make a yearly exception to do a race in Israel, so ... 5600 miles or so.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

at least to the start line, but seldom more than that.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Some of those planets where the gravity is way less than here.........

I did the Martian Marathon, and I don't think it helped. Although I did PR.

Mars = 140,000,000 miles

Dave

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've driven over 300 miles to volunteer for a race. Twice. Maybe one day I'll actually "run" it.

I've flown from Indianapolis to New Orleans and run a race while I was there, but the race was just a bonus to the trip.

I'll be traveling to New Jersey in a couple of weeks and my wife is letting me run a race hoping it will make me less cranky from all the driving. The breweries I plan to visit should help too.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

<--- this far

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Come to think of it, DW and DD1&2 have traveled more than 1500 miles to spectate.

Feeling the growl again

My desire to travel to a race is couple to both my capability to run fast and the family angle.

Before family, I regularly traveled overnight distances for races.  After kids, it has become very rare.  But my running ability has declined in line with growth of the family.

I've driven from Michigan to Boston for track races...flown the same route for the marathon.   Longest ever trip for a race was flying to Denver to run a leg in the USATF Marathon Relay Championships form Michigan.

In the past 7 years, the time since I was in PR shape, driving 5 hours for Frozen Monkey was the most.  And I DNF'd that one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Still kicking

Our area is so active with local race choices every weekend, the furthest I travel is across town. With the only exception being my Spring marathon, which is a 1.5 hour drive.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Netizen Kane

7,953 miles - Hong Kong (home) to Boston, for some downhilluphillhotweather thingy.

Hoban-Jay

After the experience I had in my first half (traveled to Ohio from NY), I developed an "I don't travel for races" policy.

But I make a yearly exception to do a race in Israel, so ... 5600 miles or so.

Maybe your policy should be "I don't travel to OHIO for races"   

Hoban-Jay

, I'm willing to fly halfway around the world for the right race.

I'll take it a step further than that...   I'm willing to travel all the way around the world for a race...not just half-way!