How much more training is required for first 50 mile compare to first 50k? (Read 210 times)

hectortrojan

A person finishes first 50k on 3 month training which includes total number of hours during the training = X

How much more training is required to finish first 50 mile in 3 month training? 1.2X, 1.3X, 1.4x.... miles?

To keep things simple, lets say

The course is 10 mile loop on trails with moderate level of difficulties in terms of elevation, rocks and roots.

The goal is to finish

Lane

Depends on what your goals are.  I ran fewer miles training for my first 50 miler than I ran training to run 8K's in college.  There's no magic formula - you can probably finish it with whatever you were doing before.  The more you run, the faster (and more pleasant) the 50 miler will be.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Depends in course difficulty too. Some 50ks are harder than an easy 50 miles on the road.

You people have issues 

What FSocks and Lane said.  But, if I had to compare marathon training to 50 mile training, I would say it is approximately 20% more volume, consisting basically of longer weekend runs and extending my midweek run up to 20 miles.  That said, I am comparing ~75 MPW for marathon vs ~90 MPW for a 50 miler and this is for goal races not a training run for a 100 miler.

The key difference for me between trail and road races of the same distance is that generally trail races require much more course specific training.  Mostly via integrating hill repeats and technical running.  So while my volume only increases 20% or less, my trail training focus is usually on hills, hills, and technical terrain  vs speed, volume, and some hills for road races.

If you just want to finish, I've seen people gut out 50 milers on 25 MPW.  It's not pretty and I will never understand what drives people to punish themselves this way, but it is possible.

Kalsarikännit

Depends in course difficulty too. Some 50ks are harder than an easy 50 miles on the road.

I disagree with this.  While the min/mi pace may be different between the two, flat terrain and mountain terrain (and everything in between) are all run at a particular perceived effort. Just because a race isn't rocky or doesn't have huge vertical doesn't mean you are running it slow so you catch a break. The flat races have their own obstacles. A flat paved 50 miler means no change in muscles used, and the constant beating of asphalt or concrete on the legs for 50 miles.

Plus, 50 miles is so much more of a psychological beating. The miles in the 30's are an absolute bitch. It is a no-mans-land of having put a ton of miles on the body and not being anywhere close to smelling the barn.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

kilkee

runktrun

Depends on what your goals are.  I ran fewer miles training for my first 50 miler than I ran training to run 8K's in college.  There's no magic formula - you can probably finish it with whatever you were doing before.  The more you run, the faster (and more pleasant) the 50 miler will be.

This was also my experience.  I ran one marathon at an easy perceived effort a couple weeks before Cayuga Trails 50mi, with almost 10,000' of gain, and finished top 10.  I consistently run over 60mpw almost year round, so my "training" for the 50mi was to rearrange my weekly mileage to run back to back long runs to get used to fatigue.  Basically a few weekends of 15mi + 20mi, or even a double in the afternoon after my long run.  I also kept up with some speedwork to keep the legs snappy and my form efficient.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Kalsarikännit

So essential it comes down to Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. Same as a 5k, same as the marathon, same as a 100 miler. There is no magic formula or training plan.

Why is it sideways?

The right volume of training is much more dependent on the training history of the runner than on the length of the race you are training for.

npaden

As mentioned above, there are folks who can gut it out and finish a 50 miler on a base of 25 miles per week.

There are lots of other folks who wouldn't attempt a 50 miler on less than 80 or 90 miles per week over the previous 3 months.

I've been actually toying with the idea of attempting a 50 miler on a very easy course this April and am leaning toward not running it.  I'm sitting on a base of about 50 miles per week right now and plan on ramping that up to 60 mpw training for a 50K in April.

I've started daydreaming of signing up for the 50 miler instead of the 50K, but think that is probably a bad idea.  With my base I think a 50K would be almost an enjoyable race on an easy course.  I'm afraid the 50 miler would become a death march for those miles from the mid 30's to the early 40's.

You do more trail running than I do though and if you are used to pacing yourself and mixing in lots of walking then you might be able to pull off the 50 miler without too much pain and suffering.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

hectortrojan

As mentioned above, there are folks who can gut it out and finish a 50 miler on a base of 25 miles per week.

There are lots of other folks who wouldn't attempt a 50 miler on less than 80 or 90 miles per week over the previous 3 months.

I've been actually toying with the idea of attempting a 50 miler on a very easy course this April and am leaning toward not running it.  I'm sitting on a base of about 50 miles per week right now and plan on ramping that up to 60 mpw training for a 50K in April.

I've started daydreaming of signing up for the 50 miler instead of the 50K, but think that is probably a bad idea.  With my base I think a 50K would be almost an enjoyable race on an easy course.  I'm afraid the 50 miler would become a death march for those miles from the mid 30's to the early 40's.

You do more trail running than I do though and if you are used to pacing yourself and mixing in lots of walking then you might be able to pull off the 50 miler without too much pain and suffering.

I am toying with the similar idea, of course with lot less mileage.

I did 50k on an easy course (~3000 ft of total elevation gain) in ~6:20hr on 4:30 hr/week training. It is the only time I crossed 22 mile.

For some odd reason, my training for last couple of months has been regular. Still low mileage; ~5:30 hr/week. Now I am going for the longest run after a month on the same trails that I ran for 50k. I started the goal with longest run, then it became 10 hr, then it became 50 mile. I do not care how long would it take, I just want to do it. To make sure I do not back out, I announced it among friends and family and asked them to join me for jog/hike for a bit on the day when I try it. I believe I can do it. I think it is necessary that I believe confidently by the time I start on the day I try.

bhearn

Plus, 50 miles is so much more of a psychological beating. The miles in the 30's are an absolute bitch. It is a no-mans-land of having put a ton of miles on the body and not being anywhere close to smelling the barn.

Sometimes I get that, sometimes I don't.

Kalsarikännit

Sometimes I get that, sometimes I don't.

I get it less on loops when I am just able to focus on the number of loops that I have left. On a point to point I'm doomed to brain hell.

I've started daydreaming of signing up for the 50 miler instead of the 50K, but think that is probably a bad idea.  

Of course it's a bad idea. That's certainly no reason not to do it, though.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

keeponrunning

Interesting thought.  While I'm FAR from an expert on long-distance running, to me it would depend more on the runner.  Also, you can't think about it so much in percentages I don't think.  I'm currently running about 40mi/week in prep for a marathon.  I'm crazily considering a super-hilly 50k a few weeks after that.  However, I would never consider a 50miler on my current mileage.  (okay, maybe I would, but that would be asking for injury).  Speed plays a factor as well-- my 40mi/week takes me as long to run as it would take many runners to run 70mi/week as I run at an average of 11min/mi or so.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

This is true. A flat race will require different training/approach to say cross country or trail.

Like Lane says also, there's no magic formula except maybe running itself as a way to prepare yourself physically and mentally.