Transverse Arch Strain.... (Read 975 times)

I've self-diagnosed myself as having one of these.. hurt a little bit over the past week. Aggravated it pretty good at a trail race on Saturday. Question: Most of what I read seems to indicate that running through it won't make it worse... Pain is much worse when not running... only a small nuisance level when running.. anyone know if running with this could cause me to compensate and screw something else up? I'd like to keep my mileage plans in place for the week... 35-38 miles... and just back way off on the intensity. Since the #1 treatment is arch supports and I have orthotics, I'm thinking it will heal with ice and backed-off intensity. It's basically an arch injury that runs across the foot. Doesn't feel at all like a stress fracture or achilles, though.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I recently had a problem in the area of my arch. I too self-diagnosed. I felt mine to be a flare up of the plantar fascia. PF is not just pain in the heal that most experience. The PF runs from the heal to the toes and can get small tears anywhere along it, especially in the arch area and heal. I took five days off and following Dr. Daniels advice ran the next 5 days back easy. Didn't follow advice to not race till doing a tempo run to evaluate it. Ran 10m race this Sat, took this Sun off, but this morning I feel some soreness in the arch. Dr. D says with only 5 days off you can return to your current mileage but watch the intensity runs. I'd check PF. I don't now about this Tranverse Arch Strain. Could be either?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I'd check PF. I don't now about this Tranverse Arch Strain. Could be either?
        Could be... I'm only a Dr. where my own feet are concerned Smile but it seems to be running more along the width of the foot -- actually wrapping up the inside of the foot some, and from what I've red PF runs more length-wise... but I've never had it, either, sooo...

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.