Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

Why is it sideways?

mta: or listen to a1, but not all of us were born king of the beasts Wink

I think the brother is joking around.

The King of Beasts

I think the brother is joking around.

to be clear, I was joking. Easy runs are where you make the money.

skeeter- I was not Born the KoB, it was a title earned through much stupidity.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

lol, yeah I know he is...he is one of the people that knows what he is talking about Tongue

Slo

Narsi

I believe the answer to your question lies in your own training log. You ran an 8k 20secs / mile slower than you ran a 7k 2 years ago and 2 years prior to that you ran a Half Marathon at the 7k pace. Your getting slower.....much slower than what the age graded formulas would predict. Or your log is not current.

My own experience has proven that I am continueing to get faster.  I plateaued very quickly doing 20 - 25 mpw with most of that being speedwork. A few years ago I jacked up the mileage. All my PR's are from '09 and '10 except for one and the only reason that one is still there is because I haven't run a 4k since.

I have been quoting in a title of a thread. lol

Anyway, I posted that answer in a separate thread, because it has become clear to me from my own experience that running hard (especially when not ready) will cause injury. When your injured your not running. Look at my log and learn my lessons without doing the same thing. Of course, you are probably in good enough shape to run harder, but the extra distance will certainly help, from my understanding. Of course, who cares what I say, since I don't have that much experience anyway.

Ok this is just my experience so take it for what its worth.   I have a pretty decent running background from yrs ago, although have had long hiatus (s) from the sport for different reasons (none very good).  I am in the midst of my 2nd "career" as a runner.  2 wks shy of 55 yrs old.   started back up more seriously around 3 yrs ago.  As I have slowly incresed my miles continue to slowly improve my "over 50 pr's"    90% of my miles would be considered easy/slow for elites.  Have not been doing speedwork, but have done "pace training"  do not do hill repeats but have some hills of varying degrees around "the hood" & also do trail runs with hills.  Would I be faster/more competitive if I did more harder w/o's ??  possibly.  but I have now gone 15 straight months with 100+ miles.  Have had various pains/ minor injuries but have worked through them & avoided anything serious that has completely knocked me out.  Continue to work way up in AG (have won couple small races & placed in couple others) & improve times.  Will continue this philosphy as long as continue to improve my personal times.   Most important run for me during the week is my LR which is also my slowest paced run,  rest of week is planned around that day.   I feel that the more mileage/time on my feet will continue to improve my stamina/strength/endurance.  So yes,  run more, run easy. (mostly).    Will probably never match my former college age times, or be an elite but plan on continuing to move up in AG.

p.s. have a 10k planned for day after 55th b'day.  not really looking forward to moving into the 55-59 ag as it is just if not more competitive!!

I look my best blurry!

Easy runs are just a waste of time.

Oh please!  I know you're just being a dufus. You're way smarter than that!

Does it really work?

. Though very fit many are yet to do a sub 1:45 HM.

Since I run HMs only I think its better to run about 30-35 mpw and concentrate more on improving pace. 

So run less and faster seems to work better for me.

Cheers

Hey Narsi,

Speaking of halfs, I ran a 2:14 half and then a 1:41 half.  That was just miles.  All that was, was miles.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

I run easy so that I don't have to think about my training or react to my body. It's the most direct route to running ignorance. And ignorance is bliss, I read that once. But really it's ignorance, and gadgets/clothes that I buy. I tried running hard at first, but then it caused me pain and I had to think. That sucked. So I thought a little (I know, right?) and realized hey, if trying to run hard caused me to have to think, maybe I'll try running easy. Since then, it's been great. No more thinking. I've got it all figured out ya know.

Lazy idiot

Hey Narsi,

Speaking of halfs, I ran a 2:14 half and then a 1:41 half.  That was just miles.  All that was, was miles.

heh.

Tick tock

Hey Narsi,

Awesome, dude!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Easy runs are just a waste of time.

Wrong!  90 % of my runs are easy. No major in in over 2 years. Will beat the 1500 mile bunny. I have not at the kinds of race times I am posting this year in the last 10+ years. Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I am going to go against the flow here.  I too am not seeing any improvement after changing to a run more run easy training programme.  I feel sharper if i train faster and a little less (I am not talking training hard just steady ie 80-90% instead of 70-80%)

My 5km time hasnt improved after a winter of 45km a week steadily reducing back my pace, neither has my confidence of repeating a sub 1:40 HM

I am even finding keeping my <>4:30/km half marathon pace more difficult now

this may be running heresy but i am just relaying my personal experience

maybe it depends where you are vs your limit in terms of performance? i dunno.  i'm an amateur

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Why is it sideways?

Wait, vinodrinker. You're telling me that slowing down didn't make you faster? No way! Heresy!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Vino, looking at your log, you need to apply BOTH elements of the mantra.  Not just run easy, but run MORE.