Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

Man in Tights

Narsi

I believe the answer to your question lies in your own training log. You ran an 8k 20secs / mile slower than you ran a 7k 2 years ago and 2 years prior to that you ran a Half Marathon at the 7k pace. Your getting slower.....much slower than what the age graded formulas would predict. Or your log is not current.

My own experience has proven that I am continueing to get faster.  I plateaued very quickly doing 20 - 25 mpw with most of that being speedwork. A few years ago I jacked up the mileage. All my PR's are from '09 and '10 except for one and the only reason that one is still there is because I haven't run a 4k since.

Your right. I went through a knee op and had to get back into running gradually. I am slowly building up my base mileage and the pace is returning. But I certainly don't see myself doing 50 mpw I don't want to bust my knees again.

Man in Tights

Narsi, good to hear from you. 

In my limited experience, slow running is good, it can get you in great aerobic shape with less chance of injury. But your race times will plateau eventually, and to get those faster times you'll need to do some faster training. YMMV. 

Hey Russ good to hear from you too. we have moved back to Mumbai now. Back to my old running haunts. And not surprisingly I'm enjoying it. The pace is coming back. Any chances of coming to India. Cheers

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sell your soul?

It's just running.

+1

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Perhaps, but remember for me I run as a means to an end.  My sport is climbing and hiking. I run to keep fit for that, I don't run just for running's sake.  As long as I run enough to keep in front of my daughters!!

That's fine.  Just don't expect to get faster long term without volume.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

That's fine.  Just don't expect to get faster long term without volume.

But my first and only half marathon time is faster than your PB and i'm doing it on half the miles, and I only started running less than a year ago.  Before that I couldnt even run 3000 metres without walking!  Big grin. I have run a 1:35:30 on a measured HM course but wasn't an official race. Not trying to flame anyone here, and there are always people faster and always people slower. iIm just a laid back kiwi, i'm doin ok. I'm a part timer I admit it but i'm doing ok i think. Ok enough to share my experiences even if not accepted doctrine

"To run faster you must run more, to run more you must run slower" became my mantra.  But it just wasn't giving the results, enjoyment or the confidence.

I do know where you are coming from though but other commitments mean I just don't have the time.   That is why I have never considered doing a marathon. I don't think I could sucessfully properly train.  My hat is off to those that do, it is a lot of commitment and a lot of pain.  I just find climbing peaks more satisfying, more social and offers better photo opportunities Big grin

Narsi is doing well too on 1600km ytd which is about what i am on 1400km + 150km hiking (shame only 150km hiking ytd that sux!!)?  A nice 1:36 too from Narsi.  Good work!

Everyone has their own motivations etc. Some run more than me, some run less. Such is the world.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Your right. I went through a knee op and had to get back into running gradually. I am slowly building up my base mileage and the pace is returning. But I certainly don't see myself doing 50 mpw I don't want to bust my knees again.

Went to a prize giving for my kids cross country interclub series a while back.  They did seniors too.  So many of the senior prize winners had buggered knees and walked like a cripple.  Funny one of the older age grade winner guys couldnt even step up on to the platform to receive his prize from Murray Halberg. Old Murray had to come down to floor level.  I hear also Peter Snell can't travel anymore cos his heart is buggared?

Running does take its toll on the average person long term. Not keen to end up like that Big grin I'm happy with my 1000 mile target for the year which i can see myself overhauling early November then pulling it right back over southern hemi summer

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Wait, vinodrinker. You're telling me that slowing down didn't make you faster? No way! Heresy!

Hey Jeff, your blog looks awesome.  I'm gonna have to have a read!!   Fast HM time too!  My kids teacher ran 1:10 the other day on hardly any miles....obviously some "have it" when it comes to running, some have to work work work!!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I just find climbing peaks  more social  Big grin

Shocked

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But my first and only half marathon time is faster than your PB

ad hominem.

That is a meaningless argument.  Jeff, who you cite a couple posts later, could spend 5 years running no miles and drinking root beer floats every couple hours and he would still smoke either of us at any race, even if we put in 3000 miles per year in that time.  Any high school kid running 20 mpw could smoke me at any distance under 5-10k, even if I were running my usual 50 mpw (which I have not run in the past year consistently due to life events). Whether you are faster than me is not the question.  The question is, are you as good a runner as you can be.  That is the point of this thread. 

If your goal is to hike, run what you want.  If your goal is to become a better RUNNER, then RUN MORE.  I'm not talking 50kpw for 2 months.  Run 80 kpw or 100 kpw or 160 kpw consistently for months and months and months.  And then you can report back to us about whether this made a difference in your race times.  Hint: this is NOT selling your soul.  This is working towards a goal of getting faster than you are.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My kids teacher ran 1:10 the other day on hardly any miles

Yeah, I'll bet over his life, the teacher has run hardly any miles.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running does take its toll on the average person long term. 

The research does not support this assertion.  In fact, the research shows the opposite.  Anecdote ≠ data.  Interestingly, a lack of exercise does take its toll on the average person long term. We must be be looking at different senior games and older runners, because that is certainly not my experience.

mikeymike

Just don't expect to get faster long term without volume.

For example, just check out both the speed and volume of Trent's posts in this thread.

Runners run

mikeymike

Hey look, the reply and quote buttons are ovals now.

Runners run

mikeymike

Also...

The most important thing, in this project, is to control a correct recovery. So, a big modulation becomes the most important way of training. When you go to specificity, YOU MUST BE FRESH IN MUSCLES AND IN BRAIN FOR RUNNING AT Mar. Pace. So, recovery is very important. You not only can, but MUST recover running big volume at low intensity. MORE YOU RUN SLOWLY IN YOUR RECOVERIES DURING SPECIFIC PERIOD, MORE YOU CAN RUN FAST FOR LONG TIME DURING YOUR SPECIFIC WORKOUTS. Don't forget that the Specificity, in Mararathon, is a Specificity of Extension.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey look, the reply and quote buttons are ovals now.

I noticed that too.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I was fixing breakfast.  I lost my focus.