Garmin "Anal Retentiveness"? (Read 1076 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I noticed that the actual distance I ran in today's race was .29 miles over the official distance. Is it wrong that I claimed it as a separate "run" in my log...? Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Of course not! Ya run it. You earn it. Ya log it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I already did...just wondered if I was the only one to ever do that. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

you can - but if its a measured course the chances are very very good indeed that its your garmin thats wrong not the course. because of that the only time i ever put a different distance in my log is if the course hasn't been officially measured (i also won't then claim those as PRs). recently i did pencarrow lighthouse half (0.6km over) and Round the Vines half (0.6km under) and i logged both of those as the garmin distance as they are off-road non-measured races. but i ran nelson half at the weekend and my garmin measured it 0.3k long. but thats a measured course so i just put it as half marathon distance. but hey - its your log - you put whatever you want to in it. so long as you know what it means etc it should make no difference to anyone else.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

you can - but if its a measured course the chances are very very good indeed that its your garmin thats wrong not the course. because of that the only time i ever put a different distance in my log is if the course hasn't been officially measured (i also won't then claim those as PRs).
            No, I realize the course was measured accurately and is an offical USATF distance, but dodging people and not running the tangents exactly as measured (who does, other than elites with few or no people in front of them?) added .29 to the distance *I* ran--not to the course. I only get PR credit for 15.5, even though I ran a godawful 15.79...I think I should get to claim that added distance as a separate run. That Pace Bunny has f'd with me enough this year... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Anal Retentive? YES! Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

its your log - you put whatever you want to in it. so long as you know what it means etc it should make no difference to anyone else.
                Of all the words that may end up in this thread - these are the most important.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The Greatest of All Time

Dude.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  runnerclay

Consistently Slow

True Dat Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

A Saucy Wench

Hah...my anal retentiveness is such that if I run the same loop around my neighborhood every single day but the garmin reads differently every single day....I believe the garmin. But in a race I believe the race. Even if the race is a completely uncertified community event where they stand at a random location and declare it the start line. Wink I think I quit feeling conflicted about it the day I left my garmin running attached to the jogging stroller for 1.5 hours while we were inside and came out and apparently it had gone something like 2 miles during that time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

Dooooooooood
                              I'm waiting for a Whaazuuup from the old school crowd. Love the Bud Light ad teams. Thread hijack - you people convinced me for the need to get a 305 and I am waiting at the door for mine to arrive. I am such a tech ho. Eventually I will need an intervention but I digress.... Back to the regularly scheduled program - Zoom - I think you can do both. Count the total distance to track down the Pace Bunny and have a distance adjusted PR. One is time and the other is distance. And when in doubt - always trust technology to be the answer. Big grin Here is a follow-up question - for you race organizers, exactly how do you measure curves to meet USTAF standards - tangent, along the curve, something different. Just curious as this thought is now stuck in my head. BTW - have you ever run on a track and worked out the different distances from inside to outside lanes while your on your run? Told you I was in need of a technolonerd intervention. Confused

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Back to the regularly scheduled program - Zoom - I think you can do both. Count the total distance to track down the Pace Bunny and have a distance adjusted PR. One is time and the other is distance. And when in doubt - always trust technology to be the answer. Big grin
                                I counted my chip time and 15.5 for the race, which is official for PR and records and whatnot. For the additional .29 I put no time down, just the distance for MY mileage records for the year. I figured, if I hadn't been running in a race that distance would have counted towards my mileage, since it's distance I ran. And I had a shitty race and have been sick for a month. It's not like I'm claiming miles I didn't actually do, right?

~ Sarah Kay