Elevation gain/loss (Read 283 times)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Is the elevation gain reported on Garmin Connect reasonably accurate?  It got the pancake flat run I did on a canal correct....Just curious about its accuracy when I run trails.  It's frequently different from the "corrected" version on here.

The only place I've gotten severely inaccurate numbers is when a trail runs through a tight canyon or up against high cliffs...in those circumstances it can lose signal and "jump" up several hundred feet on the topo map simply by having the location off 10 or 15 feet.  Has happened on almost every run I've done in the Grand Canyon.

GinnyinPA

Is the elevation gain reported on Garmin Connect reasonably accurate?  It got the pancake flat run I did on a canal correct....Just curious about its accuracy when I run trails.  It's frequently different from the "corrected" version on here.

I think the Garmins understate elevation gain, though I'm not sure.  When I started here on RA I had been doing maps with mapmyrun.  RA's elevations were much higher than on the other program. (i.e. 800 vs. 1200' elev. gain for a HM course.) When I started running with my Garmin, again the RA elevations were higher.  I assume that's because of the sensitivity of the base maps (i.e. 10' contours vs. 10 m. contours?)