Just went over 77,000 miles run. Log began 4/22/76. (Read 322 times)

Hi All,

I share this a little for my ego, but mostly to hopefully inspire others  that a guy who smoked at least a pack of cigarettes for 12 years, put them down and started running almost 37 years ago. Soon to be 70, I feel so fortunate to be healthy and love running more each year. I am most proud of my consistency- rarely ran more than 50 miles per week and rarely under 40 miles over the years. Have completed 470 races from 1 mile to 50 miles. 18 marathons- with at least a marathon or ultra over the last 5 decades.  My motto is start off easy, then back off.

What has worked for me over the years is to run 2-3 minutes Slower than 5-10k race pace on 90-95%of my runs. Back in my prime(early 40's) I trained around 9 min miles and raced 18's for 5 k's and 37's for 10k's. now I train around 11's and race at 8's. it has worked for me. I think most runners do too much, too soon, too fast and join the world's largest running club: I Use To Run .....But Club.

Relax, make running your play and Enjoy the journey. I have. Thanks for letting me brag/share. Nick

JML

This is just awesome.  I aspire to be you when I grow up.   Thanks for posting this!

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Wow! Congratulations Nick!

I think I started around the same time as you (a little bit of a different age bracket tho), and wish I had thought to keep a log. It'd be so cool to see the miles stack up, although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be in your 77,000 mile club!

I'm with you, though: I want to be a runner for life. I'll take it one step further: I want to be a racer for life!

wow! Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment!!

Anyone have pizza?

Perhaps like you, I come to this site to just log my miles.  Sometimes, I may read an occassional post here and there, but rarely do I post a reply.  In your case, I MUST make the exception.  Your story is incredibly inspiratonal.  I started running in 2004 and in 2005 did my first marathon after a hiatus of 19 years.  Since 2005, I've run about 11,000 miles or so, and have never looked back.  However, 77,000 miles, which is running the entire circumference of Earth three plus times, is unbelievable and amazing.  You should be incredibly proud of your achievements.  To go from the poisonous addictions of smoking to that of what you've been doing, and doing so for almost 37 years, is astonishing!  Not sure if how much "pull" Eric has with the publishers of RW (Runner's World), but a story like yours should not just be kept to this board.  It should be shared on a global stage.  77,000 miles.  OMG.   Congratulations.  In 23 years from now, when I reach 70, I will be ECSTATIC if I can reach 50,000 miles. God Bless You, Long Run Nick!!!

yager

Congratulations! From 4/22/1976 to 3/5/2013 is 13467 days, which means your average daily mileage is about 5.718 miles.  This is really impressive for any age group!

Mmmmm...beer

That's an incredible milestone, great job!  I hope that one day I can post a similar accomplishment.  Here's to many more years of happy running!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

justrundan

WOW!  Way to go Nick!  I agree with Alex, this is worthy of an article.

I didn't start running until 57 1/2, and hope to get my first 1000 mile year in 2013.  So far I've avoided injury, so I hope to avoid "the world's largest running club".

Thanks for the inspiration.

Dan

Amazing! Truly Amazing! I'd love to see the pile of shoes you've gone through over the years!

That's some amazing feet!

I am jealous.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Hill Slug

Very impressive, congrats Nick!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

holy moley!  77,000 miles is just amazing & what a great & inspirational story & attitude towards running!

Seanv2

Congratulations, what an accomplishment.  Your advice makes a lot of sense, I've been running now for a couple of years, and have finally, after being sidelined by injury two years in a row, learned that lesson that slow and steady wins the race.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Am I doing this right?

Hi All,

I share this a little for my ego, but mostly to hopefully inspire others  that a guy who smoked at least a pack of cigarettes for 12 years, put them down and started running almost 37 years ago. Soon to be 70, I feel so fortunate to be healthy and love running more each year. I am most proud of my consistency- rarely ran more than 50 miles per week and rarely under 40 miles over the years. Have completed 470 races from 1 mile to 50 miles. 18 marathons- with at least a marathon or ultra over the last 5 decades.  My motto is start off easy, then back off.

What has worked for me over the years is to run 2-3 minutes Slower than 5-10k race pace on 90-95%of my runs. Back in my prime(early 40's) I trained around 9 min miles and raced 18's for 5 k's and 37's for 10k's. now I train around 11's and race at 8's. it has worked for me. I think most runners do too much, too soon, too fast and join the world's largest running club: I Use To Run .....But Club.

Relax, make running your play and Enjoy the journey. I have. Thanks for letting me brag/share. Nick

Tremendous!

This post is full of win.

No excuses....

awesome. keep up the good work.

Hi All,

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas