New Research shows "Being overweight linked to lower risk of mortality" (Read 978 times)

The take I heard on this on the TV this morning was that slightly over-weight people, compared to naturally thinner people,  were more likely to try to exercise and to watch what they eat. This naturally makes them a little more healthy than those that are presumebly lucky to be thin.  I know it's rare to find thin people these days, but I do know a few naturlaly thin people that are about as unfit as you can be. Yet, they think they're fit because they're thin.

Snoop Dogg comes to mind.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JimR

nm

New Mexico?

Nanometer?

Nine Months?

Why is it sideways?

I am very thin....thin enough that people give me a lot of crap about it.  When I am in shape I am about 7% body fat....and my BMI is solidly in the "normal" range.  I cannot imagine losing enough mass to get in the "underweight" category....I would be a skeleton, weak, and unable to do anything productive.  In fact only serious illness or anorexia would get me there.

So, it would not surprise me if being underweight is found to be a risk factor...but not because being thin is bad, but because the things that make someone that overly thin are bad.

Agreed. I'm the skinniest person I know outside of my running friends. My BMI is 20.7 -- square in the middle of normal.

A Saucy Wench

Agreed. I'm the skinniest person I know outside of my running friends. My BMI is 20.7 -- square in the middle of normal.

This is what I was talking about.  I bet if you polled 100 Americans 99 would classify you as underweight.  The perception is skewed.  Hell I will out myself right here:

This is overweight:

And this is obese:

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

This is a great discussion.  Threads started by this OP on both RA and RWOL have always been entertaining, sometimes head scratching.

skygazer

Thanks for the explanation.

I thought jingchunyu's explanation was joking. But then when I thought about the age and the region factors, I kinda got what  it meant.

Back to the OP, I'm thinking along the line with bhearn's.

Assuming the weight/BMI is that at death (likely), then it may well be whoever lost more weight (hence lower weight) was having a more severe illness or struggling more at that point. Then it's hardly any surprise the result is the best survival rate is in the average BMI range: 1) the ranges are wide 2) the adv is only 6%. It may be rapid weight loss is the actual indicator. Rapid weight loss can also lead to lowered immunity.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Overweight (easily 25#s over ideal, here)...but those quads are more than a little bit muscular:

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MrNamtor

According to my bmi I'm overweight. (25.1)

xor

I'm currently normal, but I did gain 10 pounds in 4 weeks.

Ask me again in 13x4 weeks and see if I (almost) doubled in size.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

This is great i am going to live along time.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

So what's the deal with BMI? I'm in a similar situation; my BMI is about 22 but my body fat is around 11-12%. I could push my body fat well into "too damn lean" territory and my BMI would still say "normal."

zonykel

There was a study a long time ago that found that people with top hats lived longer. Clearly, it was a sign of wealth. And if you had money, you had access to food and doctors.

You need someone with a good understanding of metrics and statistical analysis to find complex relationships. We may be missing something.

Feeling the growl again

So what's the deal with BMI? 

It is a government-adopted poor surrogate for body composition that people continue to use despite its widely recognized limitations.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Better I Leave

According to the "standard" BMI calculator, my BMI when my avatar pic was taken puts me at the high end of overweight (27.9).

MrNamtor

This is great i am going to live along time.

I believe you will. Big grin