Tops of Feet Sore from Increased Running. How to rehab & strengthen them? (Read 51 times)

Jennybeeay

Hi!

I've been enjoying my daily runs during this shelter-in-place situation.  However, my feet are beginning to talk to me about this.  Pre-SIP, I ran 3-4 times/week for and now I'm running every day (and running harder). The distances have been generally the same (3-4 miles each time) but more frequent recently.  Now, I'm feeling internal tenderness on the tops of my feet, particularly around and above the ankles.  More on the actual top of my feet.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this and possibly strengthen my tendons/ligaments going forward?

Thanks for your input.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Slow down most days? Take a break one day and just walk?

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

MoBramExam

Probably no more than too much progressive overload too quickly.  Part of the learning process.  Go back to Pre-SIP volume, loosen your shoe laces, simply start again, and increase your volume at a smaller rate.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Loosen your shoelaces. 

for real.

SMART Approach

I ran 3-4 times/week for and now I'm running every day (and running harder). The distances have been generally the same (3-4 miles each time) but more frequent recently.  Now, I'm feeling internal tenderness.....

You pretty much answered your own question and are doing a no no! For one, just running more often is a pretty good increase in stress to musculoskeletal system. Then you said you are running harder as well so you have a double whammy going against you. You will breakdown. You have to back off significantly for a week or two and then settle into a happy medium with very gradual progress. Recovery always has to be part of thought process and a focus going into any week of training. Please let your body bounce back or you will experience an injury and not be able to run at all. I think you simply have an over stress response. Body is barking at you.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Joann Y

Loosen your shoelaces. 

for real.

This. I still make this mistake years later.